Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 03:37 AM

6,480 posts, read 6,138,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I will have 13 months' experience behind the wheel before I bring it up, and I have never had a crash. I have driven people around before (probably 15+ people have been in my car already). I want to make sure I offer a safe transportation option for people. If you need a ride, come to me, but if you're in such a hurry I need to go twice the speed limit, you're going to be late. I drive very safely, passed my driving tests with flying colors, and drive a car with nearly perfect crash test ratings. Whoever rides with me has airbags all around them in case an idiot plows into us.
Two years later update. (original comment from Jan. 25, 2013)

I left the university I was at in May 2013. It wasn't working out with me being away from home and majoring in engineering, I figured out, wasn't what I wanted to do. So I started going to a college closer to home in August 2013 and the car goes with me. The car I drove in January 2013 was totaled (by my mom) on April 22, 2013. It was a black 2008 Honda Accord EX-L sedan. She was okay and I got a white 2011 Honda Accord EX-L V6 sedan

I've had my license for almost 3 years now, and still not a single ticket or wreck, even a fender bender. I turned 22 on Dec. 25. I've had quite a few people in my white Accord, maybe a few dozen. I drove a young man with cerebral palsy home from my college every Tue and Thu from Feb. 13 - May 6, 2014. He had no car and had to wait 8 hours after his last class in the library for his mom to pick him up at 7 pm. He lived five miles away, so that was 20 extra miles on my car a week (I came back to campus after dropping him off) and 210 extra miles total. I didn't ask him for gas money, that was 168 hours, or a whole week of time, I saved him - he greatly preferred being home than on campus. Sometimes the payment comes in your heart and not in money. How is it fair for a young man to have to be in a place he has no reason to be (the college campus after 11 am) for 10% of his life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 05:18 AM

26,273 posts, read 8,394,060 times
Old age, and loneliness is nothing new. As others say here, the elderly can find friends and family die off, leaving them alone. My two deceased aunts lived in a complex of one bedroomed apartments. Very much in the style of a small hotel. There was a carer who lived on site, and came to visit them every day to check they were ok.

There was a community room were the residents could meet, and social events were held. It was modern, with access only by an outer key coded door. They were happy there, and felt safe. The rental cost was low, and was run by local government.

This sort of living wouldn't suit everyone of course, but the elderly people I saw there seemed very happy, and made friends with other folks living there. The more physically able helped the less so by going to shops to buy things they required. I was very impressed with the place, and how it was run.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:43 AM

10,815 posts, read 14,883,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
This sad new reality is the direct result of years of contraception, abortion, divorce and dysfunction leaving today's elderly without family or community.

"Many experts now believe we could be facing a loneliness epidemic. The figures are startling. Laura Ferguson from the Campaign to End Loneliness says the number of people who describe themselves as sometimes lonely has shot up by 20%, while '10% of everyone over 65 is chronically lonely'.

According to the Department of Health, five million older people say their main companion is the TV set, and almost one in five older people are in contact with family, friends and neighbors less than once a week."

Never fear, the "progressives" who brought us this brave new world have lots of solutions including euthanasia, assisted suicide, and health care rationing for the elderly.
The end result of all liberal actions is destruction of family and death.

But the lonely Brits always have Mohammad next door to play with. A little gasoline, some chains and a match is all he needs to play the "Let's conquer the infidel" game.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:08 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,426,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
But the article actually describes a very good solution --- what they call "co-housing", a community of people who live in separate but nearby accommodations and intentionally agree to form a supportive community, and share community meals and activities occasionally. I know there's a similar thing in the U.S. --- but I forget what it's called right now. I think it's a very good idea for people who don't have a lot of family around.

Retirement living facilities, are all over this city.

Sounds like they are not grasping this concept in Britain.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:08 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,773,996 times
Parents spend their entire lives pushing their kids away... and then get upset when they don't want to come back and see them.

Therefore, we must blame the liberals.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,539,278 times
Quote:
But the article actually describes a very good solution --- what they call "co-housing", a community of people who live in separate but nearby accommodations and intentionally agree to form a supportive community, and share community meals and activities occasionally. I know there's a similar thing in the U.S. --- but I forget what it's called right now. I think it's a very good idea for people who don't have a lot of family around.
Nursing Homes.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:21 AM

3,308 posts, read 1,937,969 times
Default Yes, but....

Quote:
What if the people you end up living with are just as creepy and weird as your own family?

Old 02-21-2015, 10:31 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,659,569 times
Here is the thing. Through most of human history, children were seen as an asset to help work the land or hunt and gather. These children then looked after their elderly when they became adults, if they were lucky enough to become elderly. Children were the social security of those times. Furthermore, the wisdom of the elders was well respected and sought to help to teach and guide the young. Hence, there was a symbiotic relationship between the young and the elderly because each entity needed one and other.

Modern Western society is gradually destroying those traditional roles and relationships. Children are a financial liability, with day care cost, school cost, feeding cost and they bring in nothing for sustenance survival. Moreover, having children is seen as impeding upon career growth of many modern women, who then delay child birth or choose not to have children at all. Others find children are impediments to total self absorption. You cannot have children and be "all about me". Thus the consequence of all this is declining rates of fertility in Western society and fewer children to look after elderly.

Capitalism is the most productive economic system hands down, but it also produces the most destructive social, cultural and ecological consequences.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:51 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,975,737 times
Our society gets more youth-centric, and dysfunctional, by the year. I wouldn't underestimate the role the media plays in this. The elderly are not valued or promoted positively anywhere. As soon as you pass the mass-marketer's 'ideal' age (54, I think), you become invisible and non-existent.

The closest families are the ones who pull the plug on the TV/iphone/video games and make an effort to spend time together and do things together as a family. For instance in our family we play a lot of board games. Even our iphone-addicted kids love to play them with us.

I think the multi-generational household is a positive one for all involved, I know Americans are waking up to this fact and are embracing old world values again. The Brits should try it, too.

Quote:
But the article actually describes a very good solution --- what they call "co-housing", a community of people who live in separate but nearby accommodations and intentionally agree to form a supportive community, and share community meals and activities occasionally. I know there's a similar thing in the U.S. --- but I forget what it's called right now.
They're called senior retirement communities. Florida is full of them. My grandparents are part of one and they love it. They are in their 90s and still active. I feel blessed to still have them.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:27 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,446,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Two years later update. (original comment from Jan. 25, 2013)

I left the university I was at in May 2013. It wasn't working out with me being away from home and majoring in engineering, I figured out, wasn't what I wanted to do. So I started going to a college closer to home in August 2013 and the car goes with me. The car I drove in January 2013 was totaled (by my mom) on April 22, 2013. It was a black 2008 Honda Accord EX-L sedan. She was okay and I got a white 2011 Honda Accord EX-L V6 sedan

I've had my license for almost 3 years now, and still not a single ticket or wreck, even a fender bender. I turned 22 on Dec. 25. I've had quite a few people in my white Accord, maybe a few dozen. I drove a young man with cerebral palsy home from my college every Tue and Thu from Feb. 13 - May 6, 2014. He had no car and had to wait 8 hours after his last class in the library for his mom to pick him up at 7 pm. He lived five miles away, so that was 20 extra miles on my car a week (I came back to campus after dropping him off) and 210 extra miles total. I didn't ask him for gas money, that was 168 hours, or a whole week of time, I saved him - he greatly preferred being home than on campus. Sometimes the payment comes in your heart and not in money. How is it fair for a young man to have to be in a place he has no reason to be (the college campus after 11 am) for 10% of his life.
You resuurected a thread from two years ago on old age and loneliness to talk about your driving? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies