U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 09:10 AM

4,506 posts, read 4,388,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Perhaps you should learn a little about the fear of extinction.
Humans are not even close to extinction, those animals are.
Ummm no, Canadian geese are quite abundant, an over population in many areas actually.

Last edited by kayanne; 01-31-2013 at 09:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Well it would appear you want a right to kill, not a right to control your body.
Bingo. Annie, I don't think you're making a compelling argument. And I'll state once again that I'm not in favor of banning all abortions.

But it's almost embarrassing how poorly the pro-choice side is being debated. It's almost enough to drive me back to the pro-life side.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
You are forgetting something. If every woman who aborted chose adoption instead.....we would quickly run out of people who wanted to adopt.
I'd be interested in some actual statistics about this. I believe 1 in 8 couples struggle with infertility. Additionally I would guess that many couples would adopt if babies were available, even if fertility were not an issue. Lastly, I would also guess that fewer women would carelessly become pregnant if abortion were not an option.

I'm not stating these as facts. Just as points to consider in light of the quote above, which WAS stated as if it were a fact.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 AM

13,669 posts, read 14,545,589 times
Originally Posted by Minethatbird
Well it would appear you want a right to kill, not a right to control your body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Bingo. Annie, I don't think you're making a compelling argument. And I'll state once aga in that I'm not in favor of banning all abortions.

But it's almost embarrassing how poorly the pro-choice side is being debated. It's almost enough to drive me back to the pro-life side.

anti choicers want to say abortion is "killing" fine by me. however it is my right and all other women to privacy what we do with our own reproductive organs, not yours. judge women all you want, it matters not. we have the right to choice which includes abortion.

kayanne are you so easily swayed if you could change your mind so easily.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post

kayanne are you so easily swayed if you could change your mind so easily.
It's called being open-minded on a complex issue. No need to roll your eyes at me.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:41 AM

9,466 posts, read 4,826,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
You are free to do what you want. But by making certain choices you are denying a group of cells to develop into a human. Some people equate that to murder. I am one of those people. And while I don't think that people who abort should go to prison, I think the cells that are no longer alive once you abort them.

As I said, in the future there will exist such a technology where these cells could develop outside your body, should you choose to expel them before they are fully mature.

It's not exactly nice of you to destroy those Geese eggs.
If that technology existed, the embryo Might be considered 'viable,' and abortion pretty much legally eliminated.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:43 AM

13,669 posts, read 14,545,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
It's called being open-minded on a complex issue. No need to roll your eyes at me.

you sound more of a "waffler" if a few posts on a forum can get you to change your mind about something as important as a woman's right to control her own body.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
you sound more of a "waffler" if a few posts on a forum can get you to change your mind about something as important as a woman's right to control her own body.
My point, which you are choosing to ignore, is that the pro-choice side was being very poorly argued in some posts.

I have been open-minded, though largely accepting of abortion being legal pre-viability, for decades. So I guess that makes me more of a pro-choice mindset. However, I have also, for decades, viewed the pro-lifers to articulate a more compelling argument. I believe that, in a formal debate (the real kind where name calling and eye rolling are not permitted) that pro-life would win.

I still stand mildly pro-choice early in pregnancy. Those here who consider themselves staunchly pro-choice need to improve their debating skills unless they want to push people to the other side.

That's what I was saying.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:00 AM

7,541 posts, read 5,325,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The truth hurts.
there was no truth in your statement, just more anti-women rhetoric on your part,

Quote:
You 'have the right to terminate a pregnancy for whatever reason you decide' for only part of the pregnancy. For the remainder, the state and a lot of busybodies are in control of your body. Just because you're willing to accept their control doesn't change the truth.
You are not stating the truth. just anti-women rehtoric. The laws are designed to protect the woman to the point where teh fetus is viable, and at that point, the woman cannot choose any longer, unless in the EXTREME case of life endangerment (either to the woman or to the fetus)

Old 01-31-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
For starters, the whole "woman's right to control her own body" argument ---- that immediately implies that men have no such right. Is this a basic human right, or something special just for women, when the topic is abortion?

If a basic human right, clearly it is not currently imbedded in law. It is not legal to prostitute one's body, to inject it with heroin, or to commit suicide.

To hold water with that argument, pro-choicers need to stop talking about women controlling their own bodies and support ALL people having FULL control over their bodies. Otherwise the pick and choose aspect of the argument is a straw man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies