Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 01:45 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Not at all. I don't worry about competent, level-headed gun owners (such as myself).

It's the fools and knuckleheads who worry me. These days we've got people walking around who get their guns tangled up in their pants pocket, their bras and belts, their diaper bags and their fanny packs. They show them to friends and wind up shooting somebody. They let them "go off" when they sit on the pot, take a leak, roll over in bed, you name it. They leave them around where curious and unsupervised kids can pick them up and shoot their parents, brothers and sisters, and playmates. They let their firearms discharge when they are cleaning them.

These folks are an embarrassment to safe gun owners and a hazard to society. Their conduct is indefensible and isn't even worthy of being defended.

That's not anti-gun, that's anti-stupid. And yes you can at least partially fix stupid. If not we are all in a world of hurt.
Funny story: Years ago, I had a neighbor who was a retired police officer. He never struck me as terribly bright, but he seemed harmless enough. One night, another neighbor shared with me that several years earlier, "Tom" had accidentally discharged his service weapon while cleaning it, putting a bullet through his exterior wall AND the house next door! Fortunately, nobody was hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 03:17 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Funny story: Years ago, I had a neighbor who was a retired police officer. He never struck me as terribly bright, but he seemed harmless enough. One night, another neighbor shared with me that several years earlier, "Tom" had accidentally discharged his service weapon while cleaning it, putting a bullet through his exterior wall AND the house next door! Fortunately, nobody was hurt.
It happens. Years ago I had a business partner who went after what he thought was a burglar trying to get into his house.

It's not clear whether anybody was actually there but he did put a couple of slugs into a wall in the house across the street. Turns out it was the bedroom for one of the kids who lived there. Although the little girl wasn't hit, the parents were outraged as the bullet holes were only a few feet away from her bed. The father was a big dude and he was about to pound my partner but the cops showed up and calmed everybody down.

Oddly enough there was an unrelated tragedy involving this same gun about 20 years later.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:15 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
really? I train and practice with my firearms more than the cops do. why would you feel safer with someone who only shoots 1 time a year vs someone who pactices 30 times or more a year?
Do you stress fire? Against moving and dodging targets? Low light conditions? One hand quick holster draw? Two hand ready position?

Old 05-02-2015, 07:38 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Do you stress fire? Against moving and dodging targets? Low light conditions? One hand quick holster draw? Two hand ready position?
That's exactly what I do. I shoot IDPA and USPSA.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:02 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandochuck View Post
With over 8 million active concealed carry licences in the U.S. do you think that you never are around guns? As you navigate your daily life, when you are at the grocery store, when you go to K-mart, while you are waiting to get your haircut, when you are at your kids soccer game, chances are that often you are in close proximity to a handgun. I often think when I look at people, which ones would have a problem with me sitting 4ft from them if they new I was carrying, and which ones would feel safer knowing there is an armed and trained person near them.
My point is this ... this all happens everyday, without incident. We are bound by law to keep it concealed and never pull it out unless an aggravated felony is occuring to us, or those around us.
We have chosen to make personal safety our responsibility.
We are your friends.
actually, chances are against that seeing as there are only 8 million registered CC in this nation. thats skewed towards red states as well. So you could indeed go through your entire day and never encounter a gun.

That being said, most of us dont have a problem with guns, we have a problem with how easy it is to get one.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:05 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
That's exactly what I do. I shoot IDPA and USPSA.
Good. You I would trust with a hand gun in a firing situation.

What do you do to get your heartbeat and adrenalin up in the shooting? We had to sprint, do pushups and had lights and sirens blaring in our ears.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:19 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
I am the proud owner of a Walther PPK/S .380 that was used to lung shoot a hood rat trying to hold up a gas station. The hood rat later expired and the previous owner gave it to me in favour of a .45.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:09 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
actually, chances are against that seeing as there are only 8 million registered CC in this nation. thats skewed towards red states as well. So you could indeed go through your entire day and never encounter a gun.
Yep, you are talking about LEGAL weapons around you....what about non-legal....you know thugs....

And have you ever thought that those blue states just make it so dam hard to get a CC, people would rather just carry illegally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
That being said, most of us dont have a problem with guns, we have a problem with how easy it is to get one.
Yes you do....and you can never take guns away from criminals....

Old 05-03-2015, 07:28 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I am the proud owner of a Walther PPK/S .380 that was used to lung shoot a hood rat trying to hold up a gas station. The hood rat later expired and the previous owner gave it to me in favour of a .45.
So far as I know none of my firearms have ever been involved in a shooting and I sincerely hope they never are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies