Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 09:40 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
What, now you don't even read the cites you unload on us?

They could have chosen not to have the smart meters, but they weren't willing to reimburse the utility for the cost of a non-standard service. They could have had the courage of their convictions and have disconnected from the grid, but didn't want to either. Too bad, so sad, now spend your time in lockup meditating on the concept of a "utility easement".
That's called breaking someones pockets by way of COERCION....And you're OK with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 09:45 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
That's called breaking someones pockets by way of COERCION....And you're OK with it.
I call it paying for non-standard equipment (and equipment that's more expensive to monitor).

Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
[quote=Dane_in_LA;27946347]Ehm - you linked to blog post, not a video. So in a sense, I suppose, you're correct.

The "physical problems" have never, not once, been replicated in double blind tests. I consider them quite on par with dowsing or using a pendulum or crystal therapy.

As for the Agenda 21 speculation, well - it's kinda silly. So your meter is suddenly going to take control of your thermostat without your knowledge - how?[/quote]

Through the grid, they can control everything. Watch out for "smart" homes or "smart" anything. That is the clue for controlling your privacy. You want a "smart" home to report back to the government everything you do and when you do it? That is loss of freedoms.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:51 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Through the grid, they can control everything. Watch out for "smart" homes or "smart" anything. That is the clue for controlling your privacy. You want a "smart" home to report back to the government everything you do and when you do it? That is loss of freedoms.[/quote]

If you don't want the government to know about your energy usage, then get off the grid.

[simple]

Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Wow. What a paranoid article. It's just a usage meter folks, it can't control your TV or your fridge.

"With smart meters, the utility company can turn down or cut off the flow of electricity to your house, adjust your thermostat without your knowledge and monitor your usage in real time. If you have modern computerized appliances, they can control your washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, refrigerator, even your coffeemaker."

Read more: Fascist City Arrests Two Moms for Opposing ‘Smart Meters’ in Homes

LOL. The paranoia continues with the first three comments:

• 11 hours ago
The Gestapo has arrived........

• 10 hours ago
Remember a guy in Germany named Hitler? This is one of the ways he and his SS took over Gremany. Wake up citizens before it's too late. Our fearless Muslim communist President wants to be dictator, not President.

• 9 hours ago −
obama has gone beyond wanting to be a dictator, all one has to do is look at the mandates he has established to know he is the muslim communist dictator you say he wants to be.
WAKE UP AMERICA.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:14 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Sort of like Mercedes is breaking my pocket by way of coercion by pricing that AMG that I really, really want as high as they do? There are 2 products on the shelf. They want the more expensive one at the low price.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:18 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Through the grid, they can control everything.
OK, then. How does a smart meter control the thermostat I bought at Home Depot?

Old 01-25-2013, 10:42 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
All they can control is whether or not you get power. NEWSFLASH, they can cut you off anytime they want with whatever equipment you use. A smart meter doesn't let the government know everything your are doing, it lets the utility company know how much power you use, just like always. I really don't get the fear here, it's a logical and practical thing...it makes sense...what's to fear? Nothing.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:50 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
When they bring those things around my tiny town I wonder if they will pay me because we keep our house at 68 in winter and 72 in summer. That cuts down on electricity a bunch
Roy, besides less man hours for meter reading the ultimate reason for these meters is so the power company can charge you different rates at different times of the day because they pay different rates at different times of the day. You can actually save money by adjusting when you use electric, run your dishwasher, clothes washer and dryer at night. Heat water at night and keep it off during peak, etc.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
OK, then. How does a smart meter control the thermostat I bought at Home Depot?
Dane one of the reasoning's behind this is the power company will be able to better control brown out/ black out conditions. If you have a "smart" thermostat or product in your house that can be controlled by the power company then they can adjust your heat/AC or other power consumption to prevent the system from being overloaded during peak conditions. Certainly if they can require you to have a smart meter they could require you to have a smart thermostat, e.g. higher rates or even complete loss of power during a time like that. As you said it would be two different products on the table.

The benefits are obvious, certainly having some power is preferable to no power. The privacy issues though are a great concern as well as other ways this tech can be used.

While on the topic one of the other reasons for smart meters is the power company can have a better understanding of demand and more efficiently manage the supply to meet the needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies