Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 02:44 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Gee aren't government forced monopolies great?
It's the price one 'pays' for energy.

[one could go off grid if they don't like the price]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 02:57 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Our tremendously conservative town put in smart meters. They were free and our electric bill went DOWN
Same here in my town which like Naperville, is in the greater Chicago land area.

Physical meter reading is costly and error prone. My town converted almost a decade ago. Thus far, no one has claimed to experience any of the issues being touted within this article.

This conspiracy theory is news to me. The provider owns the power and sure would not want to futrther risk the sanity of these 2 women. Perhaps, it would have been better to just cut off the power to these 2 homes and give them the opportunity to go off grid.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:53 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Gee aren't government forced monopolies great?
You can start your own power company and try to compete. The problem is the installation expenses are so high it doesn't really make sense. In other words, it's not the government enforcing any monopoly and instead the government regulates the monopoly to prevent abuses as such things as utilities tend to end up as natural monopolies when the free market is left along.

That you do not know this nor know that the government doesn't enforce such monopolies does not surprise me.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:04 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Same here in my town which like Naperville, is in the greater Chicago land area.

Physical meter reading is costly and error prone.
and can be used to scam customers. Some unscrupulous employee marking a higher meter count just because he/she doesn't like the dog you have in your backyard.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:05 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
What, now you don't even read the cites you unload on us?

They could have chosen not to have the smart meters, but they weren't willing to reimburse the utility for the cost of a non-standard service. They could have had the courage of their convictions and have disconnected from the grid, but didn't want to either. Too bad, so sad, now spend your time in lockup meditating on the concept of a "utility easement".
Go ahead and say something about what I said and the video said about Agenda 21 and those meters. Maybe you would like to mention all the physical problems that were mentioned in that video, just for kicks. You did not watch the video and we both know it.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
lol. Our tremendously conservative town put in smart meters. They were free and our electric bill went DOWN $100 bucks a month. A tea-party member installed it and I gave him a soda. Nice guy. BTW: All that nice, green money we don't have to pay the electric company is now gathering interest in the vacation fund at the bank and our tinfoil hat costs are zero. We don't even glow in the dark.

So, Roy. You going to take these women in when they're sitting in the cold and dark and they can't get FOX?
When they bring those things around my tiny town I wonder if they will pay me because we keep our house at 68 in winter and 72 in summer. That cuts down on electricity a bunch but we don't do it to help the electric company or to make the UN and Agenda 21 happy. We do it to save money. Of course, we have electric everything and do manage to use some of it for all those things.

When I want the government to determine how much power I can use I will let them know. Obama won't need to send the price of electricity through the roof as he promised to do.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Caughtinaweb, the utility company has an easement on all properties they serve as a condition of getting service. If you don't like it then disconnect from the utilities and live with candles. The hard reality is the utility easement is a legally binding contract so there were no rights violated. That's why they're now in jail because they have no idea what the law says, what their legal obligations were, nor did they really know much of anything it seems.
In other words, all our freedoms are going from things the Agenda 21 people want.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The women could have chosen to terminate their contract with the electric company. No electricity, no meter needed.
My meter runs fine right now and there is no need for a "smart meter" on my house. Especially nice is that my wife who sleeps pretty near our meter doesn't have any of those problems listed in the link.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
When I used to work for the local gas company there were some instances when people would get upset at me for being on their property to read their gas meter, i.e. trespassing. I nicely responded (and I'm paraphrasing here) that the alternative was that I could skip the read due to "access issues" and the company would simply estimate the bill. One guy had the audacity to say that the estimate was always high. Well, then, maybe you should let me actually read the meter!

These smart meters measure energy usage more accurately and with lower labor costs.

[in alignment with my fiscal conservative viewpoint]
What happens when the government, no matter what level, begins to measure what we use and tells us that we don't need that much and cuts down what we can use? I said in an earlier post that we keep our house at 68 degrees in winter and about 70 in summer. How much credit will we get for using less than most people do? Nothing, you say? That is just what I thought.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
No civil rights were violated. If they don't want to buy electricity from the local utilities, nobody is forcing them. They were even graciously offered a meter that doesn't use wireless technology, but didn't feel like paying for it.

But if they want to purchase power, well - then utility easements is one of those little inconveniences one has to put up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies