Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 02:31 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,729,940 times

Advertisements

The school and theatre shootings are sad events for sure, I agree that these innocent people did not not deserve to die at the hands of someone gone crazy. However, lets take airbags in car for instance. They save tens of thousands every year from severe injuries or death....my dad and his friend included in a highway speed accident....but every year a handfull of people are also injured or killed by the airbags. So are we going to mandate the removal of airbags and put the rest of us at risk?
I have relatives in UK and the criminals are far more brazen knowing that a homes occupants have no guns. Home invason with the owner present is far more common, as is rape and murder, where here it's only a small % by comparison.
Another sore subject is that we have a government which exists for itself, no longer for the people. Lobbying and "campaign contributions" line the pockets of those in charge while our jobs continue to be outsourced, our gov't spends itself broke, our dollars value keeps falling, while we have imported food and goods that sicken poison maim and kill, and less than 1% of it is checked at port....and that's just the icing on the cake. The government is scared, and the last line of our defense is our guns. If they take them away, the rest of our constitutional rights will slowly go away and then they will have complete control of the sheeple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 03:02 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times
The people being able to protect themselves from the government is what the Second Amendment is all about. Politicians and the news media try to make the general population think it is about hunting. The people that refer to "Assault Rifles" have no idea what an actual assault rifle is. True assault rifles have never been readily available to anyone except the military and a few police agencies. They are presently against the law to own unless you register each one you have and pay the government a $200 fee in the form of a tax stamp and undergo a background check by ATF. The government has an agenda for the total control of the American people, but they can't move forward with this agenda as long as we have firearms. There are people who say the school shooting at Sandy Hook was staged and that it never happened. Draw your own conclusions about Sandy Hook (
Sandy Hook. FULLY EXPOSED. 30 Mins. - YouTube. The government is looking for any crisis they can find a solution to that will take our guns away, and take our freedoms away, but people are blind. That is what happened in Germany when Hitler came into power, the people were blind until it was too late...

Old 01-25-2013, 03:25 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
The only people I hear talking about the government "taking our guns" are crazy paranoids; i.e., people who think the 2nd Amendment exists only to enable the people of this country to fight a tyrannical government.

In the District of Columbia v. Heller, the Supreme Court affirmed the 2nd Amendment right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that weapon for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. In that same decision, the Court found that like most rights, the 2nd Amendment right is not unlimited; that it is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose, in much the same way as your 1st Amendment right to free speech doesn't include yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:04 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
The only people I hear talking about the government "taking our guns" are crazy paranoids; i.e., people who think the 2nd Amendment exists only to enable the people of this country to fight a tyrannical government.

In the District of Columbia v. Heller, the Supreme Court affirmed the 2nd Amendment right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that weapon for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. In that same decision, the Court found that like most rights, the 2nd Amendment right is not unlimited; that it is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose, in much the same way as your 1st Amendment right to free speech doesn't include yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.

you can yell fire all you want in a theater. you might not like the results or being charged for all the crimes of inciting a riot and possibly manslaughter or murder if death occurs.

self defense might be what the scotus in heller v dc might have called it. but self defense comes in many forms, including having to defend yourself against your government.
government might or might not ever become tyrannical. would you not rather have the tools to get rid of a tyrannical government, than to not have them because some politician legislated them away from the people?

Old 01-25-2013, 04:05 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,094 times
Even Glenn Beck the king of tin foil hats says this conspiracy is a crock.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:31 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
One more time for the peanut gallery.....

NO ONE IS TAKING YOUR GUNS!!!!

You can own all the shot guns, semiautomatic rifles, and pistols you want.

Limiting magazine size and enforcing background checks aren't going to hurt your second amendment rights. An assault weapons ban doesn't make sense, but limiting magazine size is well within bounds of federal and states ability.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:52 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Limiting magazine size and enforcing background checks aren't going to hurt your second amendment rights. An assault weapons ban doesn't make sense, but limiting magazine size is well within bounds of federal and states ability.
I guess you haven't heard of Sen Fienstrines new "ASSAULT" weapons ban. if I "want" any of these, 170 I think, guns, I CANNOT buy one.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:53 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Looks like some folks on this thread are ignorant of government mission creep.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:11 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Sure until there is a school shooting of 20 children with a shotgun, semi-auto rifile (w/ 10 rd mag) or pistol, which is certainly could potentially occur after the "assault weapon" ban is reinstated. Then the left will tell us, sorry we tried the "assault weapons" ban but it wasn't enough. It turns out that death lies in the cartridge, not the gun. So we've gotta go to a Japan-style ban on all guns. Sorry bout that...

Old 01-25-2013, 05:12 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,136,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I guess you haven't heard of Sen Fienstrines new "ASSAULT" weapons ban. if I "want" any of these, 170 I think, guns, I CANNOT buy one.
Look, I don't go to Hag town and bother her where she works. She needs to stay the hell out my business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies