U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 PM

21,114 posts, read 14,185,735 times

Advertisements

By removing all the degrees of preparedness in the OP, this discussion was bound to dissolve into nothing but lumpage on both sides.

The fact is there are many degrees of preparedness. We all prepare to some degree for the climate in which we live, how we live, and how those around us do the same. Those of us who live in cold climates prepare differently than those who live in warm climates. Those who live in arid places prepare differently than those who live in wet places.

No one even gives thought to most of our most essential preparation. No one can argue that being prepared for what is most likely to come along is not necessary. The only differences are those placed on us by where and how we lead our lives and our responses to those elements.

It is one thing to stock up and prepare for an incoming storm. It's another to stock up for that storm if one lives in the country or in a city. It is still another when there is an un-anticipated disaster, and still another when a person's own individual fears take over.

It's ALL in the degrees. Neither liberals nor conservatives vary much in all the common necessities when it comes to being prepared for the most likely events, and neither argues with the other about needing to prepare for them.

We abandoned the oil lamp 100 years ago, but we all still have some alternative source of light. We all know that power can go out for a while. It's only when we start projecting what might be needed for a long time spent without electricity that things can get screwy. This is just an example. Take all the complications of our lives, and any of us can spin any number of paranoid possibilities if we are prone to do so.

Because we are all different, we will always have those who prepare for next to nothing, and we will have those who over-prepare for everything. This is not political; it's human nature, and conservatives and liberals alike are equally interested in surviving. Believing anything else is nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 03:24 AM

567 posts, read 903,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
What if a large portion of the "community" isn't willing or interested in preparing for anything?
In these villages I describe, political persuasion has no bearing on what they do with their land, and a fair number of these people are quite bit further to the left than the liberal yuppies you describe. In fact, during this recession, cultivation of the land has increased. Many people have gone from part-time farming to full-time farming after getting laid off or cut back. I can see it just by how much less empty fields there are now, and how there are more goats and sheep than before on land too rocky for planting. I mean, I would venture to say that cultivation by local folks has gone up two-fold in recent years, but I really can't say for certain.

Still, as you probably know, guns aren't a thing here except among hunters. In this part of the world, they don't hand out hunting licenses at Walmart to every regular shlub that wants one. Hunters here are considered semi-professional "forest stewards." They leave food out for wildlife when winters are lean, they monitor and manage population levels of boar and deer, they check it out whenever bears or wolves are rumored to be in the area, and so on. America is different in large part because our wilderness areas are so mind-bogglingly vast. We can afford to have the first day of hunting season be like the battle of Ardennes, with every Bill, Bob, and Buddy out there blasting away at anything not wearing orange.

Rumor has it that some families have WWII ordinance squirreled away. A lot of grandfathers here fought in irregular units (Partisans, etc.) against the Fascists and Nazis, and nobody was really looking when it was time to return home for good. That seemed to be the case over in the Balkans: during the wars there, an astounding number of tommy guns were dug up and pressed back into service.

Still, you can't go out and buy a brand new AR-15, that's for dang sure. And not just anyone can have a hunting rifle or the right to use it.

Quote:
On the other hand there are a few homes on our street which are occupied by liberal individuals who I'm sure have no desire to plan like we do. I feel no need to help these people, they won't even help themselves.
So if they were being murdered, you wouldn't do anything?

Old 01-30-2013, 05:09 AM

6,868 posts, read 3,917,491 times
Quote:
I've noticed that anytime anyone here talks about preparedness for things like natural disasters, civil unrest, gov. instability, etc etc etc there are quite a few of you on the left who instantly mock or insult those of us who prepare for various types of situations that might otherwise put us in danger or a desperate situation. I don't want to dive into different types of preparedness because that will just end up as a pro-gun/anti-gun troll fest. Let's please just keep this at a high level when speaking of preparedness which would encompass anything from storing drinking water and canned food all the way up to people buying stockpiles of freeze dried or dehydrated food and even people who keep weapons of any kind to defend against whatever/whoever might try to cause them harm.

Am I just reading some of you wrong or do you really believe that being prepared is something that should be mocked or do you only do this because the people you mock just happen to be to the right of the political isle?

Overall I guess I'm just curious as to why a lot of liberals seem to have a dislike of people who prepare for potential negative events.
They think big brother will provide all neccessities.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:22 AM

15,908 posts, read 10,018,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
They think big brother will provide all neccessities.

Yeah. Because Big Brother did such a bang up job with Katrina, and recently Sandy.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:45 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,293,715 times
There are two basic reasons that people criticize others who prepare for disaster.
Ignorance and guilt.
The vast majority of people have little realization of how fragile the systems are which sustain our day to day lifestyle.
We depend on infrastructure which is often times in a serious state of disrepair and is in danger of failure from a multitude of causes from natural disaster to human fault. Does anyone in this forum live in a place that is immune from natural disaster?
If you are not in position to survive at least a week or two without power, water, heat, or purchasing food you are gambling with fate. In almost every major storm, power outage, heat wave, storm, or bad winter there are deaths originating from people who were not prepared. As any person who deals with emergency services will tell you, it does not require a major catastrophe to put people in positions that end up in death, only everyday occurrences.

People who do not prepare know instinctively that they should.
Some try to make themselves feel better about their lack of responsible behavior by criticizing people who do prepare.
It is the people who do not prepare that depend on the preparation of others, and tax the relief efforts of government when things go wrong.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,006,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
There are two basic reasons that people criticize others who prepare for disaster.
Ignorance and guilt.
The vast majority of people have little realization of how fragile the systems are which sustain our day to day lifestyle.
We depend on infrastructure which is often times in a serious state of disrepair and is in danger of failure from a multitude of causes from natural disaster to human fault. Does anyone in this forum live in a place that is immune from natural disaster?
If you are not in position to survive at least a week or two without power, water, heat, or purchasing food you are gambling with fate. In almost every major storm, power outage, heat wave, storm, or bad winter there are deaths originating from people who were not prepared. As any person who deals with emergency services will tell you, it does not require a major catastrophe to put people in positions that end up in death, only everyday occurrences.

Some try to make themselves feel better about their lack of responsible behavior by criticizing people who do prepare.
It is the people who do not prepare that depend on the preparation of others, and tax the relief efforts of government when things go wrong.
They make pretty good blood pressure medications. Ask your doctor. There are good drugs for the paranoia too, so there's hope for you.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:49 AM

15,908 posts, read 10,018,084 times
Quote:
Ignorance and guilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
They make pretty good blood pressure medications. Ask your doctor. There are good drugs for the paranoia too, so there's hope for you.

Thanks for proving Jim's point.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:14 AM

7,315 posts, read 5,503,092 times
Quote:
The gov. stopped being of and for the people a loooooong time ago an that has very little to do with whoever happens to be in White House at any given time.
You need some Xanax, dude.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:58 AM

23,930 posts, read 32,597,608 times
Quote:
Overall I guess I'm just curious as to why a lot of liberals seem to have a dislike of people who prepare for potential negative events.
I think some of the reasons preppers prep are laughable, but I don't dislike them or scorn them for prepping. Why would I? I'm a "mini prepper" myself; here, the most realistic scenario is being without electricity/running water for several days at a stretch due to severe weather, so I have enough to get me through that. Including cash and bullets.

So no, I don't dislike preppers.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:57 AM

10,236 posts, read 13,922,654 times
Quote:
Ignorance and guilt.

Excellent post. We have a neighbor who seems to think we're a bit foolish. But if we're ever hit with an earthquake or some other longer-term disaster, he'll be the one knocking on our door for supplies. He won't get much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or