Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 07:54 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else seen the film: 180movie-dot-com online?

It deals with the deepest issues: Hitler, abortion, and God.
Pro-choice people are turning around completely to consider the ultimate truth of existence.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 08:28 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Can you provide a better link? Thanks.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:30 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,755,977 times
"180" - An award-winning documentary!

Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,755,977 times
I got through 3 minutes of that drivel before turning it off.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,242 times
That's a stupid video. Invoking 10 commandments and the holocaust as equivalent to abortion? Puh-lease!

It "changed my life" in one small way: never trust anything OzzyRules posts... ever. I want my 33 minutes back.

Last edited by logline; 01-25-2013 at 09:05 PM..

Old 01-25-2013, 09:04 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,649,357 times
Honestly, I have brought up a similar point in the past.

I am Pro-Choice, because I know people's views are very different then mine.

But personally I am against abortion.

I have often wondered how my generation will be viewed in the future. What will history books say? Germans didn't feel Jews were worthy of "life" Yet we do something kind of similar every day. What are we at a million abortions a year?

Either way, I do think it gets pushed under the carpet a little bit.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:09 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
That's a stupid video. Invoking 10 commandments and the holocaust as equivalent to abortion? Puh-lease!

It "changed my life" in one small way: never trust anything OzzyRules posts... ever. I want my 33 minutes back.
^^This.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,798 times
I remember that movie from when it first came out and I just reviewed it to refresh my memory because I remember not being impressed by it.

Before I criticize I will say the strongest section of this video is the footage of the 6 week old fetus.

I'll go through a few of the disconnects I experienced throughout the film:

First of all I always find 2 things with Ray Comfort - 1) he certainly tends to prey on the young, the feeble minded, and the mentally unbalanced and 2) I seem to always answer his questions differently than any person he talks to so I never know what his argument would be to someone with my answers.

Ray asks would I kill Hitler, my short answer is yes. Would I kill his mother while she was pregnant with him? My answer is no. (But I'd sure pay for her abortion!) Would I bury people alive to save myself? Absolutely not. Would I finish off people who'd already been shot? Yes to put them out of their misery, I'd see it as a merciful act. I'd love to have Ray explain to me what my answers mean in terms of how he feels they should shape my views on abortion (which by the way are that I am very PRO ABORTION but would never have one myself.) He asks do you value human life? My answer is apparently I do not value human life the way many people seem to. I do not think humans are all that great. The bible agrees with me on that point. I also don't view "death" as a final death as I believe there is something beyond life here on earth. The bible agrees with me again there. I would definitely say I value eternal life far, far more than human life on planet earth. I think I could make a pretty strong case that God feels the same way. However Ray also asks about the afterlife in the video and my answer to him would be nobody can possibly know about that so we're all just guessing / sensing.

Another question in the movie is what if you'd been aborted? That thought does not bother me one tiny bit.

The 6th commandment is brought up, thou shalt not kill. But the God of the bible commanded men to slaughter untold numbers of children and the Christian interpretation is that this was either an act of mercy or necessary for the greater good in every case.

Also when one interview subject says abortion is ok in the case of rape, Ray asks why punish the baby for the sins of the father and what is worse, rape or murder? I feel strongly that rape is worse than murder. So where would Ray Comfort go with that?

He keeps asking about killing people or groups of people and if you'd do it. At one point (illustrating a point about uncertainty as to when the fetus becomes a human life) he poses the question: if I think there might be people in that building but I'm not sure - should I just go ahead and blow it up? For me there's a disconnect there and the way I want to explain it is crude but hopefully you can see my point. I could kill a spider but I could never kill a horse; I could kill a tick or a mosquito but I could never kill a dog or a cat. It sounds awful to use these insect and animal examples to make my point but it does convey the same general sentiment of why pro choice and pro abortion people feel it is ok to kill a fetus. It's all taking a life, but sometimes that feels more wrong than others.

Which does bring me to the best argument against abortion I've ever heard which I also mentioned in another thread. The idea that if we declassify certain groups as non-human in order to justify murdering them, or mistreating them, or buying and selling them, it may only be a matter of time before you & I are defined as non-human too.. There was ample opportunity for Ray to make this argument with all of his Nazi / Holocaust info. but he failed to do so.

I also didn't see why the street conversions were included in this film.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:35 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Ray Comfort....there are no words and haven't been for a long time. I was over that guy the minute I first saw him with Kurt Cameron and their bananna.

No, prochoicers are NOT being turned around. The only ones effected by this kind of stuff are simpleminded people who really don't have an opinon because they never thought about it. "It" being whatever you want it to be.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:16 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Ray Comfort....there are no words and haven't been for a long time. I was over that guy the minute I first saw him with Kurt Cameron and their bananna.

No, prochoicers are NOT being turned around. The only ones effected by this kind of stuff are simpleminded people who really don't have an opinon because they never thought about it. "It" being whatever you want it to be.
The only ones doing the "180" are the clueless idiots in the video who don't even know who Hitler was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies