U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 PM

5,192 posts, read 4,371,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
They are confident, assertive and don't maker excuses or look at themselves as disadvantaged.

They respect themselves and they respect others.

...that is what feminism is about.
My girls are the same. And I agree--all the things you posted--confidence, assertiveness, not blaming the world for their problems and respecting themselves and others ARE what feminism is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 PM

5,192 posts, read 4,371,025 times
jwm1964-

I'd like to publicly apologize for that low blow a couple of posts back. I'm sure you are a fine parent and your daughters are great people. Sincerely. I was out of line. Sorry.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:42 PM

19,126 posts, read 26,589,691 times
Quote:
Yea, well thats ok, perhaps yours can work for mine someday.
They are confident, assertive and don't maker excuses or look at themselves as disadvantaged.

They respect themselves and they respect others.
Wow, you're raising your daughters to be feminists! Excellent!

You do realize they ONLY reason they're able to be confident and assertive and have options other than becoming a wife and mother (not that those things are bad, but they were basically the only option for women for quite some time) was because of feminists before them.

Maybe it's because I've been involved in male dominated industries nearly my entire life and have seen firsthand the misogyny and the horrible way women are treated in those industries, but I appreciate what those women accomplished to allow me to do the things I do.

I may not agree with the more extreme opinions of some feminists, but that doesn't mean I hate feminism as a whole. The extremists don't represent the ideology.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,223 posts, read 1,588,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Wow, you're raising your daughters to be feminists! Excellent!

You do realize they ONLY reason they're able to be confident and assertive and have options other than becoming a wife and mother (not that those things are bad, but they were basically the only option for women for quite some time) was because of feminists before them.

Maybe it's because I've been involved in male dominated industries nearly my entire life and have seen firsthand the misogyny and the horrible way women are treated in those industries, but I appreciate what those women accomplished to allow me to do the things I do.

I may not agree with the more extreme opinions of some feminists, but that doesn't mean I hate feminism as a whole. The extremists don't represent the ideology.
Feminism got hijacked somewhere in the late 70's, early 80's.
Same thing with gay rights.

I support womens rights, I support peoples rights to live their lives according to their own choices and decisions without persecution or interference from government (gay rights).

I believe both issues now are about control and political power and no, I do not support the "new" politicized version of either. I also support men's rights and many people call me a misogynist for saying that.

And no, the only reason they have options other than becoming a mother and wife has nothing to do with what we call feminism today.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Feminism got hijacked somewhere in the late 70's, early 80's.
Same thing with gay rights.

I support womens rights, I support peoples rights to live their lives according to their own choices and decisions without persecution or interference from government (gay rights).

I believe both issues now are about control and political power and no, I do not support the "new" politicized version of either. I also support men's rights and many people call me a misogynist for saying that.

And no, the only reason they have options other than becoming a mother and wife has nothing to do with what we call feminism today.
Interesting. You aren't happy with being called a misogynist because you support men's rights, but then I'm called names for supporting women's rights and you don't see a problem with it? The vast VAST majority of the 'mens rights' people are horribly misogynistic (MGTOW, Spearhead, the 'red pill' guys etc.) and you would probably consider most of them extremists and not a 'real' part of the mens rights movement just as I don't consider the more extreme feminists a real part of the women's rights movement.

I believe mens rights groups are all about freaking out about losing the power they've had for...well forever. For thousands of years. Now, they have to share and they're not happy about it.

I immediately dismiss people who say they're involved with 'mens rights' because of the buffoons that make up the majority of the movement. Take care of them and maybe I'll take your 'movement' seriously.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:24 AM

12,568 posts, read 13,980,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Feminists have already re-written hundreds of years of history in this country. In reality, before modern technology, the vast majority of both men and women had miserable lives. But feminism has changed American history into a narrative where all men got rich by a society-wide oppression of all women.

So i think i figured it out. I figured out what the feminists are going to do next. In fact, i would not at all be surprised if a feminist has tried to do this already.

They are going to re-write the Bible. They will go back to the Garden of Eden, and change the story so that only Adam disobeyed God. They will re-write it in a manner that makes Eve completely innocent and pure.

That's my prediction for the next chapter in the one-sided feminist tale of life. What do you all think?
I think that PC fairy tales are already standard fare.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:29 AM

5,660 posts, read 6,828,064 times
Quote:
Interesting. You aren't happy with being called a misogynist because you support men's rights, but then I'm called names for supporting women's rights and you don't see a problem with it? The vast VAST majority of the 'mens rights' people are horribly misogynistic (MGTOW, Spearhead, the 'red pill' guys etc.) and you would probably consider most of them extremists and not a 'real' part of the mens rights movement just as I don't consider the more extreme feminists a real part of the women's rights movement.

I believe mens rights groups are all about freaking out about losing the power they've had for...well forever. For thousands of years. Now, they have to share and they're not happy about it.

I immediately dismiss people who say they're involved with 'mens rights' because of the buffoons that make up the majority of the movement. Take care of them and maybe I'll take your 'movement' seriously.
Most recently, men's rights groups have been infiltrated by some women. People on YouTube give female "MRAs" way more attention than male MRAs. Luckily there are a few who are skeptical of the infiltrators.

Now I know I'm going to get more criticism. But from what I learned, a woman doesn't have to be a female supremacist to literally turn a human being's life upside down.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Most recently, men's rights groups have been infiltrated by some women. People on YouTube give female "MRAs" way more attention than male MRAs. Luckily there are a few who are skeptical of the infiltrators.

Now I know I'm going to get more criticism. But from what I learned, a woman doesn't have to be a female supremacist to literally turn a human being's life upside down.
And they should be skeptical...I'd be VERY skeptical of a woman joining a group that tells her she's worthless and deserves to be subjugated. Very skeptical indeed.

I'm curious what you mean about your second part though. I don't believe I've ever turned a human beings life upside down and I've been called an 'extreme feminist' on this board. If you're talking about father's rights, there are groups out there that are working on changing the laws without calling women names and berating them. If you need links I'd be more than happy to supply them. Why would you attach yourself to a group that is so horribly hateful when you could actually focus on the issues you want to change? Have you ever checked the website Manboobz.com out? It points out (and references quite clearly) some of the horrible stuff these mens rights guys say, and then they wonder why they're not taken seriously.

Especially look at the post that says single Mothers should be forced to live in ***** houses until they've 'paid their debt to society' and that if a woman has more than 3 kids she should be forced to have sex with anybody that wants to have sex with her. Yeah, that's a really great movement.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:10 AM

5,660 posts, read 6,828,064 times
Quote:
And they should be skeptical...I'd be VERY skeptical of a woman joining a group that tells her she's worthless and deserves to be subjugated. Very skeptical indeed.

I'm curious what you mean about your second part though. I don't believe I've ever turned a human beings life upside down and I've been called an 'extreme feminist' on this board. If you're talking about father's rights, there are groups out there that are working on changing the laws without calling women names and berating them. If you need links I'd be more than happy to supply them. Why would you attach yourself to a group that is so horribly hateful when you could actually focus on the issues you want to change? Have you ever checked the website Manboobz.com out? It points out (and references quite clearly) some of the horrible stuff these mens rights guys say, and then they wonder why they're not taken seriously.

Especially look at the post that says single Mothers should be forced to live in ***** houses until they've 'paid their debt to society' and that if a woman has more than 3 kids she should be forced to have sex with anybody that wants to have sex with her. Yeah, that's a really great movement.
The same can be said about males who partake in female supremacy that belittles men. We all know why they partake in feminism.

I'm not affiliated with any groups or movements. From what I seen, the leadership in the MRM is in turmoil and they're becoming as bad as the feminists. However, the MRM does caution men against single mothers as most expect men to partake in their responsibilities, unknowingly making himself a servant of the feminist government.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:04 AM

17,853 posts, read 12,182,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Why not? The Bible was written by men to make certain poor little Adam was completely innocent and pure and tricked by big, bad Eve. Turnabout is fair play.
Who else but men would write that their 'god' commanded them to go slaughter a neighbouring tribe, all except for the young virgin girls which he 'instructed' the men to keep for themselves- after they gave him his share of the 'booty'? Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies