U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2013, 03:00 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,290 posts, read 11,531,083 times
Reputation: 4315

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Ok so let's get this straight, because I'm a little confused on this issue.

Let's compare two legal events, and how they're perceived.

Ignoring that DC still has in comparison to many places in the US very strong gun controls, you're saying that because DC has had it's gun controls overturned, that it's now unregulated this has led to increases in gun crime.

Yet...

In the 1994 AWB where the CDC could not state that there was any statistical correlation of reduction in gun crime that could be attributed to the AWB, according to many people who are for gun control (of which I'm picking on you, because you have been one of the most vocal) it was because the laws don't work overnight, there were still millions of guns out there, and the AWB couldn't remove them.

In DC right now we have hundreds of thousands of non-gun owners, who might be gradually becoming gun owners because of the effect of Heller. Because as your side have stated (to paraphrase) laws don't work overnight.

So how can you rationally support the position that removing gun restrictions leads to instant (at least very short term) statistically relevant increases in gun crime, yet in a decade adding gun restrictions did not lead to statistically relevant decreases in gun crime?

Do you see the logical contradiction?
you read far to much into the corresponding comment.

The person you were responding to was simply pointing out that many of the laws that the right wingers on this side seem to be against were overturned.

Your entire comment is basically you making an assumption and then answered your own questions which makes no sense.

AWB was never meant to remove those weapons,it was created so that they would stop being introduced into the market. Your entire argument , while acknowledging that it was never designed to take them away, still makes the argument that it didnt work for exactly that reason. its like saying, "my coffee maker didnt make me a milkshake, that means it didnt work right".

Your idea of statistical relevance is not the same as another persons

Everything you need to know about the assault weapons ban, in one post

Again, your argument against the AWB is that i did not do something that it was never designed to do in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2013, 03:18 AM
 
78,820 posts, read 33,532,796 times
Reputation: 15788
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
you read far to much into the corresponding comment.

The person you were responding to was simply pointing out that many of the laws that the right wingers on this side seem to be against were overturned.

Your entire comment is basically you making an assumption and then answered your own questions which makes no sense.

AWB was never meant to remove those weapons,it was created so that they would stop being introduced into the market. Your entire argument , while acknowledging that it was never designed to take them away, still makes the argument that it didnt work for exactly that reason. its like saying, "my coffee maker didnt make me a milkshake, that means it didnt work right".

Your idea of statistical relevance is not the same as another persons
One would think that people would look to things that might actually have an impact on crime. It was noted that the AWB might not do a darn thing as these guns were rarely used to commit a crime, but it made a bunch of people feel good.

After all, that's what it's all about. Making yourself feel better about yourself I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 03:51 AM
 
20,976 posts, read 16,258,860 times
Reputation: 10270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Ok so let's get this straight, because I'm a little confused on this issue.

Let's compare two legal events, and how they're perceived.

Ignoring that DC still has in comparison to many places in the US very strong gun controls, you're saying that because DC has had it's gun controls overturned, that it's now unregulated this has led to increases in gun crime.

Yet...

In the 1994 AWB where the CDC could not state that there was any statistical correlation of reduction in gun crime that could be attributed to the AWB, according to many people who are for gun control (of which I'm picking on you, because you have been one of the most vocal) it was because the laws don't work overnight, there were still millions of guns out there, and the AWB couldn't remove them.

In DC right now we have hundreds of thousands of non-gun owners, who might be gradually becoming gun owners because of the effect of Heller. Because as your side have stated (to paraphrase) laws don't work overnight.

So how can you rationally support the position that removing gun restrictions leads to instant (at least very short term) statistically relevant increases in gun crime, yet in a decade adding gun restrictions did not lead to statistically relevant decreases in gun crime?

Do you see the logical contradiction?
Lefties use feelings or good intentions.....never logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 03:55 AM
 
20,976 posts, read 16,258,860 times
Reputation: 10270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Oh? DC has a fenced border? I had no idea.
Even a fenced border won't prevent criminals from committing crimes.

Silly leftie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 03:56 AM
 
20,976 posts, read 16,258,860 times
Reputation: 10270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
"Dummycrat"..think I'll continue to ignore you.



What? So forcing a criminal to lie on a background check is bad? That's an impetiment to committing a criminal act in and of itself. No law stops ALL crime. I guess forcing sex offenders to register is bad??



How do national rape laws prevent all rapes? They don't!! But you do all you can to prevent the crimes. You gun nuts and your absolutist attitude is just silly..Show me ONE law that prevents ALL crime. ONE.
Yet you replied.....silly leftie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 05:00 AM
 
Location: Steeler Nation
6,868 posts, read 3,943,286 times
Reputation: 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandochuck View Post
It cracks me up how these anti-gunners talk like gun control legislation is going to magically make all guns disappear, so that there is no need for those who choose, to protect themselves and their families. Even lawmakers agree that if a ban were enforced it would take decades to get the numbers down to "insignificant levels". They don't even delude themselves into believing they could ever make guns completely disappear.
What they don't get is, it is not the legit gun owners that are the problem, it is the law breakers and illegal guns on the street, figure out a way to solve that problem and I may think about surrendering my weapon. Until then, I will need it to defend myself against the ones breaking the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 05:09 AM
 
Location: Steeler Nation
6,868 posts, read 3,943,286 times
Reputation: 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Banning guns will, in fact, work. That is why you guys are scared to death that it might actually happen. People can only be afraid of the big bad 2nd Amendment for so long. After enough deaths, the fact that the 2nd Amendment is just words... old words... it will sink in that they aren't relevant to 20?? and there will be hell to pay. Count on it. If America survives into the far future it will NOT be as some kind of Mad Max-Road Warrior post apocalypse where anarchy reigns. If America survives it will be because we got rid of the guns. AND tapped the rich people.

H
Spoken like a true socialist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 05:17 AM
 
Location: Arizona, The American Southwest
51,816 posts, read 29,891,036 times
Reputation: 90870
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Yeah, they still have a bunch of gun laws.
Gun laws are only broken by outlaws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 05:27 AM
 
Location: Iowa, USA
15 posts, read 12,012 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Banning guns will, in fact, work. That is why you guys are scared to death that it might actually happen. People can only be afraid of the big bad 2nd Amendment for so long
You little Commies have no respect for our Constitution. You know one country that banned guns recently? Venezuela. Why don't you start thinking about moving there? Hugo Chavez thinks a lot like you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 09:51 AM
 
18,800 posts, read 9,617,882 times
Reputation: 5281
Long prison sentences and sometimes death penalty can't even deter criminals but somehow limiting law abiding gun owners would work wonder.

That is we also need to ignore the fact shows that the general population is 8 times more likely to commit murder than law abiding gun owners.

That's called "common sense" right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top