Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:49 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,209,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refresh1 View Post
Let the voters decide how long they should be there. Lets get it done this year
I won't use the words that came to mind when I read your post. I will however ask you if you have any idea who controls the state legislatures in most states and how long it will be before they lose control. Of course, you do know that first you need 2/3 of both houses of Congress to propose an amendment and that will be tough to come by in the House for another two years and I don't think you can find 67 Senators willing to go along with your proposal.

AFter the Congress proposes an amendment then you have to have 3/4 of the State Legislatures to ratify and that usually takes years. Lately Congress has been allowing from 4 to 7 years for ratification. I don't think you can get this one done in time to save Obama. He is done unless he can find a way to get around that part of the Constitution as he has done for so many things. I doubt he can get this one done with an EO, but maybe the law really doesn't mean anything.

I think that you leaners better get busy with the Congress if you want this done soon enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Obama will win or maybe Bill Clinton No republican.
Neither of your men has a chance since the Constitution says they have had their 2 terms. I really am starting to wonder if you know one thing about the 22nd Amendment and the amending process. What do you know about these things?

Old 01-27-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Apparently, it is for you. Maybe you should study a little bit of history and then you could learn how the Twenty-Second Amendment came into being.
I am not at all sure you know the answer to that but I really don't think you know a whole lot more about amendment than the OP does and that is not a whole lot.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I know how it came into being and it was a very, very, very good thing. Too bad we don't have it for more offices.
The funny part of the 22nd Amendment is that the Republicans proposed it and got it ratified just in time to make it impossible for Eisenhower to run again. I was a liberal back then and laughed my butt off when they found themselves wishing they hadn't screwed up.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
We can do whatever we want if enough money and time is put to it.
You really don't know your butt from page 9 about the Constitution. This post proves that but you may learn a lot if you keep blowing all that crap.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The move really is to actually make it one term for like 6 years. Even the founding father recognise the danger of presidential powewr after office.Wew learned a lesson when FDR tried to stack the supreme court.

Of course, a couple of these leaners have no idea that FDR did such a thing since they don't know much about our Constitution. Obama would have tried that novel method if Roosevelt had had some success.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
No. Two terms (a total of 8 years) is definitely long enough for a President to accomplish all that he has planned for his time in office.

FDR was elected to 4 terms of office, the last of which was ran by Eleanor since he was so sick the majority of the time. The reason why he was elected was because the American people needed him back then and it was through his 4 terms in office that the two term limit was founded.

This will never go away, it'll never change.
Lets get some of these historical facts straight right now. Roosevelt served 3 of his terms and died part way into the 4th. Harry S Truman took over as Vice President and did an admirable job of ending WW II and his worst mistake was pushing to get the UN. I bet he has nearly kicked off all his dirt more than once at what his "child" the UN has done the past few years. Well, anyway after he was elected for his own term the Congress proposed the 22nd Amendment and it got ratified pretty soon. Anyway that Amendment didn't pertain to Truman according to the wording. No, it came into effect for Eisenhower.

I am not sure about Eleanor and the 3rd term but don't think she did a lot. Sure not as much as Wilson's wife did in his last year in office.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:42 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,999,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I am not at all sure you know the answer to that but I really don't think you know a whole lot more about amendment than the OP does and that is not a whole lot.
To make it simple, The Twenty-Second Amendment was proposed by the Republican controlled Congress in 1946 because they were pissed off big time, that Franklin Delano Roosevelt a Democrat had just been elected to his forth term in office as President of the United States.

The gutless pathetic Republican cowards knew that they couldn't stop the Democrats any other way, other then to put term limits on them. It was 100% politically motivated.

You can thank me know for the history lesson.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:00 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,576,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
To make it simple, The Twenty-Second Amendment was proposed by the Republican controlled Congress in 1946 because they were pissed off big time, that Franklin Delano Roosevelt a Democrat had just been elected to his forth term in office as President of the United States.

The gutless pathetic Republican cowards knew that they couldn't stop the Democrats any other way, other then to put term limits on them. It was 100% politically motivated.

You can thank me know for the history lesson.
So, if things had been done differently, in a way that favored your party and views, things would be peachy, yes? Republican pigs.......you sound like a Bolsheveich. Lmao.
At any rate, term limits are a good idea. The senate and House need them too. Then we wouldn't have had to live with Harry Reid all these years. Letting Vegas, with its huge base of transplanted liberals, squat over us in the north with their left wing diahrea. Ahhh, I am certain you would love to see the Obamas become the countrys royal family. In the radical, left wing, mind, tbey already are. Just imagind what he could accomplish as a king! Oh, tbe wonders we would see!
You folks, who drool over this guy....you throw a scare into me. My horse has more sense. She won't jump off a cliff just because I tell her too. Lol

Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 AM

15,066 posts, read 6,144,174 times
Honestly, that sounds like a recipe for disaster. Just look at history and a number of nations in the present...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies