U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:19 AM

36,049 posts, read 16,122,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Guys, how the hell is making English the official language going to change anything at all??? NOBODY here has given real examples on how things will be different, besides not printing certain documents in other languages. That's it. Guess what? They're still hire people who speak Spanish, and that person is still going to translate it. Stop punching yourself in the cojones all the time, I know you all love to outrage yourselves every night before you go to sleep, but come on!

This, ladies and germs, is the truth. The truth of the matter is, excepting professional agitators, no Hispanic gives a **** if you speak Spanish or not. But, these guys are mental masochists, willing to subject themselves to anger over reading some very isolated incident and then painting that incident to the 30+ million Hispanics living here. I think that's called Old Angry White Male syndrome.

Oh no! But what about Louisiana or Hawaii? Or is it only the Spanish states we have to rename like California, Oregon, Montana, Colorado, Arizona, Texas, and Florida?
Old angry white man syndrome? Your own racism is showing. FYI, I know many males and females young to old of various races and party affiliations that would like to make English our official language. If nothing else to give it its rightful place as a part of our heritage and culture as a nation.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 AM

36,049 posts, read 16,122,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Face it. You hate the idea because your hispanic. Sorry to say but the united states aint puerto rico,
And it ain't Mexico or any other Hispanic country either. Face it, it is mostly arrogant, ethnocentric Hispanics who can't stand the thought of making English our official language.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 AM

25,060 posts, read 23,039,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Old angry white man syndrome? Your own racism is showing. FYI, I know many males and females young to old of various races and party affiliations that would like to make English our official language. If nothing else to give it its rightful place as a part of our heritage and culture as a nation.
I'm white, too, sorry to burst your bubble. After reading all your posts, you're concentrating on the part of my posts that I don't want you to concentrate on. In other words, you're missing the entire point of this topic and of my replies. And that is, how is making English the official language going to change anything? I already gave you a good example, Puerto Rico, that has English and Spanish as official languages. Why is it then that almost 99% of people living in Puerto Rico speak Spanish as their primary language if English is also the official language?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 AM

824 posts, read 1,448,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
We would have to rename cities.

[maybe even states!]
El Paso: The Step.
Los Angeles: The Angels.
Amarillo: Yellow.
San Francisco: Saint Francis.
Presidio: Jail.

Guys, don´t do it. The world is not ready yet.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:34 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,332,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
El Paso: The Step.
Los Angeles: The Angels.
Amarillo: Yellow.
San Francisco: Saint Francis.
Presidio: Jail.

Guys, don´t do it. The world is not ready yet.
One simple answer.

It would unite us.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:21 PM

25,060 posts, read 23,039,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
One simple answer.

It would unite us.
How? You guys keep telling me it would unite us. How???? Are illegals suddenly going to say, geez hijo mang, the gringos made inglés the official language now. Manuel, we have to start speaking inglés now! Sorry, don't see it happening. You want the Mexicans to learn English? Then stop being so opposed to spending money to make comprehensive, accelerated ESL programs at the local community college.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:26 PM

7,315 posts, read 5,504,766 times
Quote:
I often read on this forum from the Nativists that making English the official language will somehow make everyone here speak, read, and write exclusively in English, or something to that effect. How is that possible, when English is the official language of Florida and yet their government pages also have a Spanish version? California also has their pages with a Spanish version, and public universities in both states have Spanish language versions of their sites. So, if that's what having an English as the official language brings us, then what is the point? English is the co-official language in Puerto Rico but everything is in Spanish, unless you specifically ask for government documents in English and have court proceedings in English.
English as the official language would dumb down right wingers even more, which would make them exceedingly happy?

Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,838,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
English does become apart of everyones's heritage. Citizens become Naturalize according to our laws. Children grow up & learn in our English speaking public schools. They assimilate unlike this recent phenomena of mass illegal immigration & non assimilating people from south of this countries border.
Ah they do assimilate but what people forget is that assimilation isn't an instant process but a generational thing. In general no matter where you come from:

1st Generation immigrants don’t speak English as well as a native. You will never be as fluent in a second langue as your first. They will pick up English and learn it to varying degrees but they will not feel comfortable with the language. Right now there are lots of immigrants from South American countries both legal and illegal. Heck I was watching a news clip about some unlucky Cuban who got lost and killed just for pulling up on the wrong driveway (the homeowner/shooter was arrested) and the other guys in the car who was Cuban used a translator because he could not speak it well.

2nd Generation immigrants speak English and speak it well. However they may also know the original langue

3rd generation immigrants speak English, speak it well, but may not know the original langue.

IMHO, this isn’t about illegal’s or integrating society(Where is all the rage about all the polish I hear in Chicago?) It is about fear and anger of an on going change of demographics.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:04 PM

20,695 posts, read 19,397,082 times
Quote:
I'm white, too, sorry to burst your bubble. After reading all your posts, you're concentrating on the part of my posts that I don't want you to concentrate on. In other words, you're missing the entire point of this topic and of my replies. And that is, how is making English the official language going to change anything? I already gave you a good example, Puerto Rico, that has English and Spanish as official languages. Why is it then that almost 99% of people living in Puerto Rico speak Spanish as their primary language if English is also the official language?
No your not. Your hispanic.

Hispanic people are not white.

Last edited by Mac15; 01-30-2013 at 01:21 PM..

Old 01-30-2013, 01:11 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,332,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Ah they do assimilate but what people forget is that assimilation isn't an instant process but a generational thing. In general no matter where you come from:

1st Generation immigrants don’t speak English as well as a native. You will never be as fluent in a second langue as your first. They will pick up English and learn it to varying degrees but they will not feel comfortable with the language. Right now there are lots of immigrants from South American countries both legal and illegal. Heck I was watching a news clip about some unlucky Cuban who got lost and killed just for pulling up on the wrong driveway (the homeowner/shooter was arrested) and the other guys in the car who was Cuban used a translator because he could not speak it well.

2nd Generation immigrants speak English and speak it well. However they may also know the original langue

3rd generation immigrants speak English, speak it well, but may not know the original langue.

IMHO, this isn’t about illegal’s or integrating society(Where is all the rage about all the polish I hear in Chicago?)
Even 3rd generation hispanics refuse to speak English & its not a generational issue, because we would not have bilingual verbiage everywhere & pressing 1 for English.

Quote:
It is about fear and anger of an on going change of demographics.
We have a right to be fearful of invaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies