U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-29-2013, 01:05 AM
 
809 posts, read 1,497,105 times
Reputation: 802

Advertisements

America, due to being a mixing bowl, needs a common language. Not everyone can speak every language. It also eliminates the bull**** "bilingual in spanish" requirement from most jobs over time when it's required.

I have no problem speaking with my neighbors from Japan, or South Korea, or France, or Germany. Never. I've never met a person from any other region, who couldn't speak english, but lived in America. Not me personally. Not saying they don't exist, but they don't exist in numbers where they are catered to. Sure, some pretty thick accents, but I can still speak with them. Only people from Latin America who come to LIVE in America, can't speak a lick of english.

The idea that I should, not become bilingual, because that isn't the issue. The issue isn't whether or not I'm bilingual, but whether I'm bilingual in the right language, that being spanish. The issue is that I'm required to be bilingual so others don't have to.

A common language would settle this. And that common language is english. It's what lets everyone from around the world communicate with each other in America. Don't have to be fluent, just have a working knowledge of the language.

 
Old 01-29-2013, 01:55 AM
 
Location: Area 51.5
13,904 posts, read 11,455,726 times
Reputation: 9074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
And of course you have a mini-cam and can see what the posters are wearing and most of all have esp to know that they are thinking, right? Every person you have implied is a racist in here has said nothing to you to pull that race card out of your wallet.
That's exactly why we laugh at them.
 
Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 AM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,113,472 times
Reputation: 11618
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Did my research( never use wikipedia as a source), and you seem to be right, any area with 5%(atleast in Florida) of native speakers must have their ballots printed in that language.

The problem with your argument is that making English our de facto language does not mean those laws would change.

As for the second part of your argument. NO English is not part of every ones heritage nor is it cultural. Everyone in the U.S. is not anglo-saxon. or did you forget that this nation was not just settled by the British ?
Considering that most people in the US are actually descendents of German settlers, and these English only posters are most likely significantly, or mostly, German in their ancestrial makeup, I think it makes sense to make German the official language. It almost once was, just barely.




Look at all those German majority counties.....
 
Old 01-29-2013, 01:30 PM
 
36,513 posts, read 16,273,941 times
Reputation: 9796
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Well if you live in California and English is already the official language then what are you moaning about...you're not a professional moaner are you? I suppose the first amendment doesn't matter either.
Moaning? So a desire to make English our official language on the federal level is "moaning"? Why are you moaning for the opposite, hypocrite!
 
Old 01-29-2013, 01:34 PM
 
36,513 posts, read 16,273,941 times
Reputation: 9796
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The same reason you have an objection to many gun reform laws, you claim they will never do anything to curve gun violence. yours are however opinions, mine is fact.

We currently have no laws saying the federal government has to produce documents, websites and so on in other languages yet they do it voluntarily. So the argument that it would lower cost is untrue. Thats the only thing you listed in the comment i saw.
What? You have me confused with some else. I haven't made any comments about gun laws. Gun laws is not the subject of this topic anyway.

Yes, we do have laws about the federal goverment being required to print certain documents in different langauges. I even provided a link to it!
 
Old 01-29-2013, 01:38 PM
 
36,513 posts, read 16,273,941 times
Reputation: 9796
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Did my research( never use wikipedia as a source), and you seem to be right, any area with 5%(atleast in Florida) of native speakers must have their ballots printed in that language.

The problem with your argument is that making English our de facto language does not mean those laws would change.

As for the second part of your argument. NO English is not part of every ones heritage nor is it cultural. Everyone in the U.S. is not anglo-saxon. or did you forget that this nation was not just settled by the British ?
English is a part of this country's heritage and culture. It was the language decided long ago by all Americans as our identifying one. What part of that aren't you getting. If you don't want to be a part of it then leave. What does race have to do with it? English is the primary language of our black citizens also. I don't give a damn what language you speak at home or even other cultures you may practice but denying our identifying culture and language based on that is ridiculous.
 
Old 01-29-2013, 02:03 PM
 
7,315 posts, read 5,525,923 times
Reputation: 2837
[quote=KnownUnknown;27991337]America, due to being a mixing bowl, needs a common language. quote]

REALLY! And why is that? Belgium has 3 official languages, and I don't know if you've been to Belgium, but it's a lovely country. Beautiful place!
 
Old 01-29-2013, 02:09 PM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,349,163 times
Reputation: 2200
[quote=Saritaschihuahua;27999863]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
America, due to being a mixing bowl, needs a common language. quote]

REALLY! And why is that? Belgium has 3 official languages, and I don't know if you've been to Belgium, but it's a lovely country. Beautiful place!
Thats Belgium, this is the U.S two different countries. Why not move to Belgium since you like it there.
 
Old 01-29-2013, 02:13 PM
 
39,186 posts, read 20,288,666 times
Reputation: 12713
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I often read on this forum from the Nativists that making English the official language will somehow make everyone here speak, read, and write exclusively in English, or something to that effect. How is that possible, when English is the official language of Florida and yet their government pages also have a Spanish version? California also has their pages with a Spanish version, and public universities in both states have Spanish language versions of their sites. So, if that's what having an English as the official language brings us, then what is the point? English is the co-official language in Puerto Rico but everything is in Spanish, unless you specifically ask for government documents in English and have court proceedings in English.
Not everyone in the U.S. speaks spanish. We didn't ask you to come here but if you want to be a citizen of this nation then show some respect for our country and speak our language.

Cripe, next people will expect the tax payer to pay for spanish speaking schools.
 
Old 01-29-2013, 02:13 PM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,349,163 times
Reputation: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The same reason you have an objection to many gun reform laws, you claim they will never do anything to curve gun violence. yours are however opinions, mine is fact.

We currently have no laws saying the federal government has to produce documents, websites and so on in other languages yet they do it voluntarily. So the argument that it would lower cost is untrue. Thats the only thing you listed in the comment i saw.
It doesn't matter if they voluntarily do it. Having to appease everyone in their own languages doesn't unite us. A country needs to share things such as a unifying culture such as language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:07 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top