Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:46 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

I often read on this forum from the Nativists that making English the official language will somehow make everyone here speak, read, and write exclusively in English, or something to that effect. How is that possible, when English is the official language of Florida and yet their government pages also have a Spanish version? California also has their pages with a Spanish version, and public universities in both states have Spanish language versions of their sites. So, if that's what having an English as the official language brings us, then what is the point? English is the co-official language in Puerto Rico but everything is in Spanish, unless you specifically ask for government documents in English and have court proceedings in English.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I often read on this forum from the Nativists that making English the official language will somehow make everyone here speak, read, and write exclusively in English, or something to that effect. How is that possible, when English is the official language of Florida and yet their government pages also have a Spanish version? California also has their pages with a Spanish version, and public universities in both states have Spanish language versions of their sites. So, if that's what having an English as the official language brings us, then what is the point? English is the co-official language in Puerto Rico but everything is in Spanish, unless you specifically ask for government documents in English and have court proceedings in English.
How is desiring English to be made our offical language a nativist stance? I am so sick of unwarrented labels and insults like this I could just vomit.

English has always been our national de facto language, not Spanish! I guess you aren't aware that Calfornia's official language is English?

English deserves its rightful place as our official language as it has been a dominant part of our culture and language since our founding. By making English our official language on the federal level we will not longer have to print documents in not only Spanish numerous other languages also. That would be a huge tax savings. Immigrants and citizens alike will be encouraged to assimilate to our national language also.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:05 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Those who advocate for freedom should favor no official language, thus you are free to speak whatever language you want.

From an economic standpoint, not having to make as many bi/tri-lingual signs and forms does make sense.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
It would encourage Obama's illegals to at least make some attempt to learn the language of this country and to stop expecting everyone is going to have to learn Spanish to accomodate their every whim.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:55 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times
Quote:
Making English the official language would only accomplish 3 things:

1) Make xenophobic nativists happy by giving immigrants a symbolic slap in the face.

2) Get some politicians votes from xenophobic nativists.

3) Make life harder for public sector workers, who would be forbidden from using a language many of them speak during the course of their duties .

That's about it.

I need one thing, though. There is no such thing as an "English First" or "English Only" movement. These are really just "No Spanish" movements. English First types usually care much if Poles speak Polish, or if Russians speak Russian, or if Greeks speak Greek. What they really hate is Spanish, and that is because they really hate Spanish speakers--i.e. Mexicans, or Dominicans, or Puerto Ricans, etc.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:17 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
There's NO need for Spanish, Gaelic and so on to be used by the governments for ANYTHING in the US except for health or safety. Puerto Rico IMHO needs to be cut loose; maybe Cuba would take it.

MOST legal aliens here speak English and it'd make it harder for most illegal aliens to live here.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:30 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
How much extra do you think it costs to print EVERYTHING twice?

I had to buy gov't equipment capable to handle 5 languages. That is 5 times the storage space, etc.

How much do you think it costs to hire additional people solely because they speak a difference language?

If the gov't DID everything in English only, it would be up to the person requesting help or info to either learn English or get assitance on their own. Our tax dollars SHOULD not be spent on printing and providing interpreters.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:42 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Actually, in communities with a large 2nd language usage, it actually saves money to print documents in both languages and conduct business with bi-lingual employees. You don't believe it? Stand in line at the DMV behind a Spanish speaker who got a DMV employee that isn't bilingual. See how much longer things take.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:44 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
There's NO need for Spanish, Gaelic and so on to be used by the governments for ANYTHING in the US except for health or safety. Puerto Rico IMHO needs to be cut loose; maybe Cuba would take it.

MOST legal aliens here speak English and it'd make it harder for most illegal aliens to live here.

There is a reason that Puerto Rico is a US territory and Cuba is independent. Right after the Spanish American war Cuba was given its independence because different from the other territories like PR, the Philippines, Guam etc is because Cuba had one of the best banking systems in Latin America and it was only 90 miles from the US so the Morgans, the Rockefellers, the Du Ponts and other wealthy folks wanted an "off shore" banking facility and Cuba was perfect. They essentially told the government to give Cuba its freedom...Money talks and BS walks. Business as usual in the real world.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:04 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How is desiring English to be made our offical language a nativist stance? I am so sick of unwarrented labels and insults like this I could just vomit.

English has always been our national de facto language, not Spanish! I guess you aren't aware that Calfornia's official language is English?

English deserves its rightful place as our official language as it has been a dominant part of our culture and language since our founding. By making English our official language on the federal level we will not longer have to print documents in not only Spanish numerous other languages also. That would be a huge tax savings. Immigrants and citizens alike will be encouraged to assimilate to our national language also.
How are you going to accomplish that? Having English as an official language on the federal level, you will still hear presione 2 para español, you'll still see business signs in Spanish, you'll still see product labeling in Spanish. Most of the people complaining about Spanish being used in everyday life is the language being used in private business. Official language will not change anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It would encourage Obama's illegals to at least make some attempt to learn the language of this country and to stop expecting everyone is going to have to learn Spanish to accomodate their every whim.
How is it going to make them attempt it? Official language does nothing, especially since, if Oldglory read my entire post, he'd find that out I know CA's official language is English. Still a hell of a lot of Spanish speakers there last I checked, using Spanish on a daily basis. So, I ask again, how is making English the official language gonna help? There's that pesky 1st Amendment still in the way you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post

How often do people interact with the government? Rarely. Let's look at states that have English as sole official languages. They still provide services and information in Spanish. So, I ask again, how would making English an official language accomplish anything when it doesn't already?

Why would Puerto Rico be cut loose? We don't want to be, and Congress can't kick us out unilaterally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies