Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 03:51 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,717,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Ay Caramba!

Are you saying the Obama's illegals are expection you to learn Spanish to accomodate their every whim? Do you really believe that illegals expect you to learn Spanish...or at the very least... even care if you do or do not?
Watch this. Malamute is about to stop pretending he doesn't understand Spanish.

Yo no se que le pasa a ese gringo ridiculo. Es el verdadero culo del partido republicano.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:24 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,436,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
How would English as an official language change anything?
We would have to rename cities.

[maybe even states!]

Old 01-29-2013, 09:52 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,870,912 times
Guys, how the hell is making English the official language going to change anything at all??? NOBODY here has given real examples on how things will be different, besides not printing certain documents in other languages. That's it. Guess what? They're still hire people who speak Spanish, and that person is still going to translate it. Stop punching yourself in the cojones all the time, I know you all love to outrage yourselves every night before you go to sleep, but come on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Ay Caramba!

Are you saying the Obama's illegals are expection you to learn Spanish to accomodate their every whim? Do you really believe that illegals expect you to learn Spanish...or at the very least... even care if you do or do not?
This, ladies and germs, is the truth. The truth of the matter is, excepting professional agitators, no Hispanic gives a **** if you speak Spanish or not. But, these guys are mental masochists, willing to subject themselves to anger over reading some very isolated incident and then painting that incident to the 30+ million Hispanics living here. I think that's called Old Angry White Male syndrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post

[maybe even states!]
Oh no! But what about Louisiana or Hawaii? Or is it only the Spanish states we have to rename like California, Oregon, Montana, Colorado, Arizona, Texas, and Florida?

Old 01-29-2013, 11:42 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,589,652 times
How about a compromise that ends this debate once and for all...Declare English the National but not Official Language of the United States. What would this do? Nothing. It What would declaring English the official language do? Nothing. Would would doing nothing do? Nothing. So perhaps both sides can reach a compromise. I say this because both sides seem to fail to see how their policies would do nothing. It is mostly an emotional issue. So perhaps this issue should be reached by my proposed compromise. English as a National Language would be a public declaration that English is the language of the US. This can partially satisfy pro-English people by acknowledging English is the language (Issues on programs to teach can/would be discussed at a later date). However, by not having it the official language, documents and services can continue to be available in other languages as they are now. Sound like a good idea? Like I said, either way, not much will change by no official language or an official language. Therefore, a compromise that may do nothing may in fact soothe a headed/emotional debate.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:05 AM

20,652 posts, read 23,829,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post

[maybe even states!]
No.

There are places here with irish names and everybody speaks english.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Guys, how the hell is making English the official language going to change anything at all??? NOBODY here has given real examples on how things will be different, besides not printing certain documents in other languages. That's it. Guess what? They're still hire people who speak Spanish, and that person is still going to translate it. Stop punching yourself in the cojones all the time, I know you all love to outrage yourselves every night before you go to sleep, but come on!

This, ladies and germs, is the truth. The truth of the matter is, excepting professional agitators, no Hispanic gives a **** if you speak Spanish or not. But, these guys are mental masochists, willing to subject themselves to anger over reading some very isolated incident and then painting that incident to the 30+ million Hispanics living here. I think that's called Old Angry White Male syndrome.

Oh no! But what about Louisiana or Hawaii? Or is it only the Spanish states we have to rename like California, Oregon, Montana, Colorado, Arizona, Texas, and Florida?

Face it. You hate the idea because your hispanic. Sorry to say but the united states aint puerto rico,

Old 01-30-2013, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Face it. You hate the idea because your hispanic. Sorry to say but the united states aint puerto rico,
You don't have to be jealous of me because I can speak my ancestral language while yours is almost dead. See? I can say ridiculous things too

Quote:
No.

There are places here with irish names and everybody speaks english.
You live in Northern Ireland, not the US. Enough said

Old 01-30-2013, 01:46 AM

My ancestral language!! NO

And if your in the usa what are you doing awake at 3:25am on a weekday? Hmmm

Old 01-30-2013, 01:56 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,309,832 times
Quote:
And if your in the usa what are you doing awake at 3:25am on a weekday? Hmmm

Old 01-30-2013, 02:03 AM

Anyway, getting back on topic, having an official language is going to accomplish what? Also, how do you expect people to learn the language of this country when they're working more than 8 hours a day for a pittance, and possibly 7 days a week? They have no labor protections, no overtime, etc. No 1st generation immigrant ever learns the language of the new country unless they had extensive English lessons. Which, outside of the developed parts of the European Union, is not gonna happen in pretty much anywhere in the world. Even the Russians that are fresh off the boat here can't speak English well and speak in Russian all the time. They don't have a press 3 for Russian here, yet they get by without using English. I wonder why that is? Stop with the Spanish hate already
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.