U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 03:19 PM

3,744 posts, read 2,585,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
When you have people like Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh making GOP policy, what can you do? Limbaugh commandeth, everyone doeth. The tea partiers can deny this all they want, but Limbaugh especially, have an unbelievable amount of sway with the GOP
Your post is either delusional, blind, a liar or, most likely all three. The GOP doess anything BUT follow the Voice of America's (Rush) advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 03:30 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,789,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabianS View Post
So you're willing to give in on your core economic beliefs and vote for the party of failed Keynesianism because Rush Limbaugh, who regularly badmouths the GOP as being out of touch RINOs, is allowed to broadcast?

Yes listening to Jon Stewart mock your party is painful, but that's going to happen whether the top Republican is Jon Huntsmen or Dick Mourdock.

If we follow this logic it makes no sense to join the Blue Dogs because you'd simply be trading Rush for Rachel Maddow and Al Sharpton while gaining nothing in terms of furthering your political beliefs. But I guess this is more acceptable since Jon Stewart hypocritically never excoriates all Democrats for what it's loudmouth extremists say.
The GOP doesn't stand for financial sanity like they used to. As of late all I've seen them do is cut taxes and spend more. Federal spending increased heavily under GWB and Bush Sr while revenues didn't stay consistent....even during the uptick before thr bubble burst. They aren't willing to tackle entitlements and Ryan's budget increased the deficit.......I don't see anything fiscally conservative anymore....just a bunch of pissing and moaning about guns, abortion, and Jesus.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 PM

7,249 posts, read 6,646,883 times
Someone is delusional Robin but it's not him.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:32 PM

5,502 posts, read 5,696,838 times
Rush is pretty much the darling unofficial hallmark of the Republican Party. He basically has power in numbers as an influencial public speaker pretty much over any elected official on the right. Whether it's McConnell, Boener, Jindal, Romney, etc.

That being said, I actually agree with him on a number of issues. And I certainly agree with his point that it does not matter what the right actually says--the left will re-interpret their message into what the left's constituents want to hear. Want voter IDs? Racist! Against abortion? Sexist! Want lower taxes? Classcist! According to Rush and Levin for that matter--the right is losing because they have failed to focus on a strong conservative message while trying to win over more undecided, middle ground voters who really were never favoring them to begin with. Instead, they should or should have focused more on streamlining their own ideas into one coherent message.

Whether he or Levin is right or wrong really depends on where the individual's political compass is, but I have to agree with him on the idea that media (other than FOX) is overwhelmingly left leaning and does a very thorough job of legitimizing left-wing talking points as some degree of "common knowledge" amongst the general public.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:34 PM

11,314 posts, read 7,317,230 times
It's going to take a few more losses and probably around the time Hillary beats them for a second time, is when the GOP might figure out that they need to modernize and moderate.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:35 PM

4,690 posts, read 3,904,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
My fellow Virginian, Eric Cantor, has stated the GOP will not be changing course.

I don't think Cantor gets the final word on this. Both parties are amorphous conglomerations, more "tendencies" than parties in the sense understood in parliamentary systems. Recalibration, if it happens at all, is more likely to seep into GOP politics slowly than be decreed by any one leader or the resolutions of any one party conference.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:36 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,118,887 times
Ron Paul is the future. Legalize drugs and prostiutuion, settle for unwanted pregnancy prevention, outlaw mandatory occupational licensing, eliminate min. Wage for everyone under 35, and kick the neocons out.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
I don't think Cantor gets the final word on this. Both parties are amorphous conglomerations, more "tendencies" than parties in the sense understood in parliamentary systems. Recalibration, if it happens at all, is more likely to seep into GOP politics slowly than be decreed by any one leader or the resolutions of any one party conference.
Well no sh*t he doesn't get the final word but he is an influential member. If some members with clout started the ball it may roll in the rig direction a little sooner.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:40 PM

7,371 posts, read 4,623,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Well...I had my hopes up that after we had our asses handed to us that the party higher ups would consider a bit of a more moderate reboot. I think the meeting in Charlotte has spelled the end of the hopes for a more moderate GOP in the future. My fellow Virginian, Eric Cantor, has stated the GOP will not be changing course.

If this doesn't change I think that more center right and moderate republicans in the future (like myself) are going to start migrating towards blue dog democrats......the GOP as it is now is practically unelectable on the executive level...and it's awfully f**king sad.
Another one of these fake conservatives going on about how they were driven out of their beloved party by extremists? Again with this garbage?

Adios. See ya. Don't let the door hit you in the rear end on the way out.

Anyone who would even consider going from the GOP to the Democrats was never a conservative to begin with. Not even a moderate conservative. See, the solution to the party going too far to the right is never, ever to go over the Democrats who are way off to the left. The Tea Party is too conservative for you so you're going to support Obama instead? If Obama is your idea of what a moderate Republican should be, then you were never a Republican to begin with. Sorry but that's not even within miles of being believable. See, believable people who complain that the GOP has become too conservative say they will leave the GOP. Period. They end it there. When you take that extra step and say you're going to vote Democrat, your credibility goes bye-bye.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Another one of these fake conservatives going on about how they were driven out of their beloved party by extremists? Again with this garbage?

Adios. See ya. Don't let the door hit you in the rear end on the way out.

Anyone who would even consider going from the GOP to the Democrats was never a conservative to begin with. Not even a moderate conservative. See, the solution to the party going too far to the right is never, ever to go over the Democrats who are way off to the left. The Tea Party is too conservative for you so you're going to support Obama instead? If Obama is your idea of what a moderate Republican should be, then you were never a Republican to begin with. Sorry but that's not even within miles of being believable. See, believable people who complain that the GOP has become too conservative say they will leave the GOP. Period. They end it there. When you take that extra step and say you're going to vote Democrat, your credibility goes bye-bye.
I said Warner or Kaine....why don't you yank your thong out of your rear end and go read their voting record before you get all wet and pissed.

I never said I support Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies