U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:58 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,693,370 times

Advertisements

It all goes back to Pres. Johnson and his "War on Poverty" and Nixon's "War on Drugs". These failed programs are one of the reasons our country is so deep in debt. But these are Liberal policies and they will not change because the Dems fear they will lose too many votes.

It will only get worse before it gets better because that is human nature. Glad I don't live in a large city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 PM

11,780 posts, read 8,569,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
It all goes back to Pres. Johnson and his "War on Poverty" and Nixon's "War on Drugs". These failed programs are one of the reasons our country is so deep in debt. But these are Liberal policies and they will not change because the Dems fear they will lose too many votes.

It will only get worse before it gets better because that is human nature. Glad I don't live in a large city.
We spend around 1.5% of GDP on welfare which increased to 2.3% under Obama. I seriously doubt welfare programs are driving our debt.

http://dvn.iq.harvard.edu/dvn/dv/rec...fileId=2327477

Attached Thumbnails
Chicago: Mother loses all four children to violence, last one slain this weekend-poverty.png  

Old 01-28-2013, 02:12 PM

46,054 posts, read 29,447,323 times
Quote:

Yeah, I think any sane person would tell you the things that Johnson helped create has actually been good for the country. As for the "war on drugs" most liberals think it is a waste of money.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 6 days ago)

47,682 posts, read 45,309,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, that's not really the whole story.

Up until 2010 you could have a gun if you got a permit....but they wouldn't issue permits. So anyone telling you there wasn't a gun ban is technically correct but it's perhaps not completely accurate.

Starting in 2010 due to it being found unconstitutional....Chicago has shifted gears and allows ownership but put a lot of licensing, fees, mandatory training course etc. in place which is basically meant to function like the old poll taxes that were used to keep blacks, women etc. from voting.

Chicago, through public housing design and selective police enforcement manages to create a city that is extremely safe in the nice areas and a complete craphole in other places. The murder rate per 100,000 in places like Lincoln Park and Near north is about 1. On the west and south sides in places like Austin the murder rate is more like 35-40 per 100,000.

80% of Chicago's murders are gang and drug related....so um....good luck disarming the gang bangers that are already smuggling vast quantities of drugs in from south and central america.
I have done some research about Chicago's history. One thing I have found is that race relations have shaped this city in many ways.

One of the reasons for the hand gun ban was in response to race relations during the 1960s.

Evolution of Chicago's handgun ban

Another thing that you have brought up are the housing projects. By their design, the housing projects isolated alot of people. It was the idea of taking those in society that no one wanted and putting them in one place. Blacks came up from the Deep South in two stages. The first Great Migration and the second Great Migration. In the second Great Migration, one of the problems was housing. Alot of Chicago residents didn't want Blacks in their neighborhoods. Public housing was built to satisfy a need for housing, and at the same time, it kept Blacks away from much of the population. In a big way, it isolated people. It served as a place to just put people and forget about them.

Drugs and gun trafficking happen basically the same way. The drugs have to come from somewhere.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yeah, I think any sane person would tell you the things that Johnson helped create has actually been good for the country. As for the "war on drugs" most liberals think it is a waste of money.
And that's the problem, there are not many sane people left. You might want to do a little more research on the effects of "The War on Poverty". And don't go to a bias site either. Find someone who has no agenda.

You will be surprised.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
We spend around 1.5% of GDP on welfare which increased to 2.3% under Obama. I seriously doubt welfare programs are driving our debt.

http://dvn.iq.harvard.edu/dvn/dv/rec...fileId=2327477

And that is why I never use charts or statistics. They can be made to fit your view. I know I could find one that would show your chart to be wrong. Just go to any far Right Wing site and there it will be.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:22 PM

This is the chart for head of family, female, black.

Attached Thumbnails
Chicago: Mother loses all four children to violence, last one slain this weekend-poverty.png  

Old 01-28-2013, 02:23 PM

46,054 posts, read 29,447,323 times
Quote:
And that's the problem, there are not many sane people left. You might want to do a little more research on the effects of "The War on Poverty". And don't go to a bias site either. Find someone who has no agenda.

You will be surprised.
Sorry, but I have seen the benefits on the war on poverty. Things like medicare and head start have been great programs for our country. And that is just the beginning....but then again, most non-sane people consider the elderly as moochers.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
And that is why I never use charts or statistics. They can be made to fit your view. I know I could find one that would show your chart to be wrong. Just go to any far Right Wing site and there it will be.
Well, my chart is based on actual data hosted on Harvard's website, not what I or anyone else wishes it to be. The only caveat to be aware of is any changes made to the definition of poverty, which does change.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Sorry, but I have seen the benefits on the war on poverty. Things like medicare and head start have been great programs for our country. And that is just the beginning....but then again, most non-sane people consider the elderly as moochers.
That's right, you are a liberal, why do I even waste my time talking to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies