Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 02:36 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If obama is so concerned about americas youth, why not stop sending them abroad to be maimed and killed in wars of aggression?

Old 01-27-2013, 02:37 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I bet he's a much better football player than you are.
Only if he can wear his Mom Jeans while playing.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:38 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
This is going to be very ticklish for the left. With the trial lawyers now in the mix, we've got all the same ingredients that we had with the War on Tobacco in place with the War On Football. But with the popularity of football, the left knows that it has to approach w/ trepidation. This is Pres. Obama sticking his toe in the water, and to echo the poster above, my guess would be that this is at the urging of Michelle.
Good grief--there is no "war on football." You have science telling us that concussions are causing major brain damage and Alzheimer's, and you have players who are becoming increasingly concerned. If you think putting common sense reforms in that reduce injury, or that give athletes the time they need to heal properly between injuries is a "war" then I can't help you.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:52 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Wish I could rep you again. As a pediatric nurse, I can tell you the profession has become much more proactive about concussions and head injuries, not just in football players but with everyone. One of our doctors took his kid out of football after his second concussion. He does wrestling now.
My kids wrestle and play football. You can still get a concussion in wrestling (there's plenty of head slamming on to mats) but it's not nearly as common. Fortunately we haven't had to deal with a concussion in our family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Agreed. I coached high school swimming for awhile, and all coaches had to take mandatory concussion training. The stuff we learned and the consequences we saw for young people were scarier than hell.
It is scary--you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Yeah, like dads don't give a **** about their son's health.

ESPN survey finds news coverage of concussions leads majority of parents less likely to allow sons to play in youth football leagues - ESPN

By the way, the folks who have brought this issue to the forefront have all been former NFL players and their families. This ain't a left issue this is about work place safety that is tricking down to the plantations farm teams.
We live in a community within commuting distance of Lincoln Nebraska (home of the University Nebraska and Husker football). Lots of the small towns around here have former Husker athletes (some who've gone on to the pros and came back home to retire) either coaching at our schools, or as parents of kids in youth sports programs. I think that's one reason why our local schools, in cooperation with the local sports medicine community, have become so proactive about dealing with head injury--it's the former adult athletes who are raising the flags about head injury because sometimes they're dealing with the consequences themselves. It's interesting that the Dads who really did play college and pro ball are the most likely to not push their kids into tackle football too early. It makes them better players too--they're forced to learn the fundamentals in flag vs. just powering their way through.
Nebraska Sports Concussion Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
OK< we get where you ate coming from, so go back to playing with your dolls...
Did you really "get what me ate coming from?" You're SO clever! You have absolutely nothing intelligent to say--ever--but it doesn't seem to stop you!

Old 01-27-2013, 02:57 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
I wonder what Trayvon would have to say about this?

Old 01-27-2013, 02:58 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times
The GOP comes out in favor of traumatic brain injury because without it they wouldn't get as many votes.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:11 PM

3,331 posts, read 1,963,030 times
Default yes thats the one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Would this mythical son be what's his name.....the kid with the Skittles?
the love child he had with Valerie Jarrett... the resemblance is striking...

Old 01-27-2013, 03:13 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post

Most High Schools are already starting to take the concussion issue very seriously, especially since we've had some high profile situations out here where a child has had repeat concussions and wound up severely brain damaged.
The major cause of these problems though are poorly trained coaches. They're not consistently drilling proper techniques into these kids. Football, even at the high school and younger age groups, can be a safer sport then it is now. But the athletes themselves have to know how to make it safe. And the only person they're going to listen to is the Coach.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:15 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I wonder what Trayvon would have to say about this?
Trayvon played football. Obama would have a fictional son that looked like Trayvon so Obama's fictional son therefore, PLAYED FOOTBALL. <GASP!!!!!!!!!!>

How coulld he go against his father's wishes? Oh, the humanity!!!!

Old 01-27-2013, 03:16 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
This is a great way to get rid of football and force soccer, the sport loved by the communist America hating left, down everyone's throats. Remove one generation from it and the next won't follow. Just like freedom. All it takes is one generation to lay down and everyone after won't know what it's all about. I told the left handed squealers that the communists liberal freaks would be going after football the first time I read about the concussion nonsense based on BS and here we have dear leader claiming his phantom son wouldn't be playing such a violent sport. Well no sheet Obama he'd probably be a pansy just like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies