U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2019, 03:08 AM

8,106 posts, read 2,779,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
There's so much fail packed into this little package it's frightening. The USA is a nation of immigrants and will continue to be in the future.

Every country is comprised of immigrants.

People all over the world have migrated to other parts of the world throughout history.

But now we have laws and borders.

And most of the people who came to America did so legally.

There's no reason that that should change just because Democrats need to increase their voting block.

Even the biggest, most well funded orphanage can only care for so many more children before it ends up neglecting the ones it already has.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 04:04 AM

8,090 posts, read 4,714,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
There's so much fail packed into this little package it's frightening. The USA is a nation of immigrants and will continue to be in the future.
Why was America a nation of immigrants? What was the purpose of immigration? And should it have been a nation of immigrants? Couldn't you also say that America is a nation of slaves and indentured-servants?

If I say "humans are liars", am I saying that humans ought to lie? No. And just because something is true doesn't mean it ought to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Legal aliens or ILLEGAL aliens? We DON'T need many more people moving here unless the're smart, have morals and obey OUR rules.
America doesn't need any immigrants at all, legal or otherwise. But immigration is in the "national interests". So what are the national interests? And why would you believe that unskilled illegal-immigrants aren't also in the national interests?

If it was in the national-interests to get rid of the illegal-immigrants, we would have gotten rid of them a long time ago.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:39 AM

12,508 posts, read 4,227,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabianS View Post
(Mods I figured because this article deals with immigration's effect on the economy it would be ok to post in Politics.)

An interesting post from Slate Moneybox's Yglesias. New Progressive zeitgeist?

What Would Happen If We Let All The Immigrants In
I'll tell you. The democrats would never lose another election.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:42 AM

36,847 posts, read 16,368,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Every country is comprised of immigrants.

People all over the world have migrated to other parts of the world throughout history.

But now we have laws and borders.

And most of the people who came to America did so legally.

There's no reason that that should change just because Democrats need to increase their voting block.

Even the biggest, most well funded orphanage can only care for so many more children before it ends up neglecting the ones it already has.
Exactly, and it's time to drop that stupid label of "we are a nation of immigrants" rhetoric to blackmail us into accepting every immigrant who wants to come here even illegally. Our native born citizen population way outnumbers our immigrant one today. Time to be referred to as a nation of Americans and just be ourselves not some mutt country.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:44 AM

1,485 posts, read 303,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Numbers:
1) How many immigrants entered (the nation of immigrants) between 1924-1965?

2) How many from 1965 till now?
Up until the1970's immigration had been going down. Then it started to go up. The biggest increase was from 1990-2010.

Why is this? After WWII there was prosperity world wide. Then globalization and deregulation started to widen the gap between rich and poor countries. In the 90's Mexico was tricked into NAFTA and then the war on drugs. A few years later Central America was tricked into another free trade agreement. The result was more poverty for that region and one of the highest influx of immigrants to the US in history. I would write more but telling people this was done on purpose to exploit poor nations falls in deaf ears.

Graph of Migration to America

Old 05-03-2019, 12:00 PM

34,687 posts, read 33,690,741 times
We used to control immigration numbers (not letting too many poor people in) so it didn't burden American taxpayers. Also, if you think all of the disease we thought was long gone but has now returned is all due to the anti-vaccination people and not because we're letting all of these people in, think again.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:06 PM

4,004 posts, read 1,220,690 times
No country in the world wants a mass influx of uneducated unskilled poor people. It's a burden on the country and it doesn't solve the immigrants problem.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:07 AM

718 posts, read 293,398 times
You cannot argue with the liberal mind. They are stuck up with their false self righteousness and truly feel that they're superior to everybody who do not think or feel the same way they do. Honestly, I simply quit and refuse to debate with them since they refuse to listen to facts on any issue.

Being from the Pacific Northwest, most of my family are diehard liberals and when the topic of immigration and open borders pops up, I simply state that I'm not worried about it if you're not. And the kicker is when I state that I'm no longer worried about jobs for our own people, the American people, since I'm good with my 2.5 fully funded pension plans, so I'm protected.

First, I get their stink-eye since that's not your basic Socailist reply. But!! After a few moments, I then can see them thinking a little deeper on how this issue has or will affect them and their kids in a job market that is already flooded with low skilled/low educated workers... I will then remind them that most illegal aliens (The legal term used in federal courts.) are often far more motivated... Far more than a good percentage of American low skilled workers AND are also willing to work for less pay and benefits... So!! Who do you think a employer will hire first?

Again, never argue with a liberal since logic and facts don't matter to them since everything is based off of an emotional feeling.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:57 AM

36,847 posts, read 16,368,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
You cannot argue with the liberal mind. They are stuck up with their false self righteousness and truly feel that they're superior to everybody who do not think or feel the same way they do. Honestly, I simply quit and refuse to debate with them since they refuse to listen to facts on any issue.

Being from the Pacific Northwest, most of my family are diehard liberals and when the topic of immigration and open borders pops up, I simply state that I'm not worried about it if you're not. And the kicker is when I state that I'm no longer worried about jobs for our own people, the American people, since I'm good with my 2.5 fully funded pension plans, so I'm protected.

First, I get their stink-eye since that's not your basic Socailist reply. But!! After a few moments, I then can see them thinking a little deeper on how this issue has or will affect them and their kids in a job market that is already flooded with low skilled/low educated workers... I will then remind them that most illegal aliens (The legal term used in federal courts.) are often far more motivated... Far more than a good percentage of American low skilled workers AND are also willing to work for less pay and benefits... So!! Who do you think a employer will hire first?

Again, never argue with a liberal since logic and facts don't matter to them since everything is based off of an emotional feeling.
Well stated and the absolute truth. I know, I have plenty of liberal idiots in my family also. Another thing is that they keep harping about the greedy rich while they advocate for their cheap, illegal workers to be able to remain here to make the rich, richer. Do they even recognize their own hypocricy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies