U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:29 PM

47,578 posts, read 55,204,732 times

Advertisements

I suspect it's not much different in many other states -- 70% of babies born to welfare households. The takers are fast surpassing the payers -- this cannot last long.

7 in 10 births in New Mexico paid for by Medicaid | Home - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 09:31 PM

26,719 posts, read 16,446,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I suspect it's not much different in many other states -- 70% of babies born to welfare households. The takers are fast surpassing the payers -- this cannot last long.

Are you making a pitch for abortion?

Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 PM

Yes, not much different in other states ---

Poorer Texas kids lead to higher education costs | Home - Home

About 60 percent of Texas children live in poverty, according to the U.S. Census, and many of those children are unprepared and need extra attention when they start school. If they do eventually get into college, the state's Higher Education Coordinating Board says they are relying on a shrinking pool of financial aid.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Are you making a pitch for abortion?
What does abortion have to do with responsbility? This has more to do with the very generous welfare life that makes having children you can't afford so profitable and appealing. How many contraception methods are available? But hey - there's big money in giving birth -- the average welfare household uses $62,000 -- more than many working people can get in yearly wages.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:37 PM

26,719 posts, read 16,446,495 times
Quote:
What does abortion have to do with responsbility? This has more to do with the very generous welfare life that makes having children you can't afford so profitable and appealing. How many contraception methods are available? But hey - there's big money in giving birth -- the average welfare household uses $62,000 -- more than many working people can get in yearly wages.
Aren't NM and Texas both red states?

NUMBER OF THE DAY: 41% of Births Covered by Medicaid | NewAmerica.net

http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comp...57&sortc=1&o=a

Old 01-27-2013, 09:41 PM

46,056 posts, read 25,630,586 times
Quote:
Being responsible enough to know that you are not financially stable to bear a child is a good reason to support abortion and contraception.

Also, this sounds like a States issue. I say this is New Mexico and Texas's problem.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:47 PM

And border states. We are the welfare clinic for the whole world, you can bet a large chunk of these births are to non-citizens who find the welfare life here very lavish -- beyond their wildest dreams. Mexico and Central America don't have welfare handouts, we provide them those.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:36 PM

31,806 posts, read 17,934,265 times
Quote:

States were free to choose not to fund elective abortions with (Medicaid) tax dollars. In 1988, Michigan voters placed a successful initiative proposal on the ballot.

The left campaigned hard against the proposal. I asked them one simple question which they were unable to answer:

I work, pay taxes, and cannot afford health insurance. Why should my tax dollars be paying for elective abortions when I cannot get healthcare I need?

I voted for it with about 55% of the voters.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Being responsible enough to know that you are not financially stable to bear a child is a good reason to support abortion and contraception.

Also, this sounds like a States issue. I say this is New Mexico and Texas's problem.

Feds don't enforce the border, and the problem belongs to the States?

Old 01-27-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:

I say cap welfare spending at current levels, plus the rate of population increase plus inflation.

When the number of takers increases beyond population growth every recipient gets a smaller piece of the pie, appropriately placing a stigma on the takers who now are responsible for their neighbor's slice shrinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies