Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 11:06 PM

261 posts, read 512,630 times

Advertisements

Let me first off say that I do not know every details about this current situation other then the head lines and the few articles I have been reading over the last few months. So please excuse me if I am missing a few angles here and there. And yes I know this 'draft' situation is highly unlikely in this day and age but there are still chance...And yes I will repeat many of things I am sure you all have heard of before in the past so please bear with me.

I have a very hard time believing that this is what most women truly want this. I just do not see this being a healthy thing for any women. Why would you put yourself through this kind of an experience. I know we are pushing for equal gender rights and so on but I believe on both ends of this gender situation women have MANY luxuries that men wish they could benefit from and being exempt from a draft is one of them!

I am a male and I will tell you if a draft came around im sure my mother would probably cry for a few days. Then I wonder how she would feel when they came back moments to pick up her daughter as well what then would she have left. Yes if all of this goes through this would mean if you signing up for any kind of loan for an education (even if its just Financial Aid) you will HAVE to sign up for a draft.

At the risk of sounding sexist I have a very hard time believing that (no matter how strong of a women you are and yes there are strong women out there) that you would find yourself face to face with the enemy (these people HATE YOU! With every fiber in there bodies and they will not be bringing other women along side them) and being able to take him down with brute strength alone. You know women and men fight differently (very differently) especially in stressful times (life or death situations!) and they will not hold back. Why do you think men and women have never been allowed to compete in any physically fitness challenges. What if you had to lift your 240pound mate when only seconds matter.

Why would you ever want to put yourselves in a situation at where limbs are being completely blown off--shell shock. I do not think I need to go in on gory details of that kind. What about situations when one of you are captured by the enemy. Do you really think they are just going to torture you then kill you. That would be to easy. They will probably be a band of so many men--they will probably think of unspeakable acts that could only be preformed on a woman's anatomy.

This is not me trying to sound sexist in anyway (maybe it does come off that way and screw it maybe I am but I am honestly trying to think of all women here) I do not think that in the long run this is a healthy thing for woman. And no I am not saying 'go back into the kitchen' I am just saying you should know when to hold em and when to fold em. What I wouldn't GIVE to be exempt from a draft (Hell ya im scared!). I even considered playing every card in the book to avoid being lumped into one. And no im not saying 'women are weaker' but there are difference lets not pretend as if there are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 11:12 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,311,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
I have a very hard time believing that this is what most women truly want this. I just do not see this being a healthy thing for any women. Why would you put yourself through this kind of an experience. I know we are pushing for equal gender rights and so on but I believe on both ends of this gender situation women have MANY luxuries that men wish they could benefit from and being exempt from a draft is one of them!

I am a male and I will tell you if a draft came around im sure my mother would probably cry for a few days. Then I wonder how she would feel when they came back moments to pick up her daughter as well what then would she have left. Yes if all of this goes through this would mean if you signing up for any kind of loan for an education (even if its just Financial Aid) you will HAVE to sign up for a draft.

At the risk of sounding sexist I have a very hard time believing that (no matter how strong of a women you are and yes there are strong women out there) that you would find yourself face to face with the enemy (these people HATE YOU! With every fiber in there bodies and they will not be bringing other women along side them) and being able to take him down with brute strength alone. You know women and men fight differently (very differently) especially in stressful times (life or death situations!) and they will not hold back. Why do you think men and women have never been allowed to compete in any physically fitness challenges. What if you had to lift your 240pound mate when only seconds matter.

Why would you ever want to put yourselves in a situation at where limbs are being completely blown off--shell shock. I do not think I need to go in on gory details of that kind. What about situations when one of you are captured by the enemy. Do you really think they are just going to torture you then kill you. That would be to easy. They will probably be a band of so many men--they will probably think of unspeakable acts that could only be preformed on a woman's anatomy.

This is not me trying to sound sexist in anyway (maybe it does come off that way and screw it maybe I am but I am honestly trying to think of all women here) I do not think that in the long run this is a healthy thing for woman. And no I am not saying 'go back into the kitchen' I am just saying you should know when to hold em and when to fold em. What I wouldn't GIVE to be exempt from a draft (Hell ya im scared!). I even considered playing every card in the book to avoid being lumped into one. And no im not saying 'women are weaker' but there are difference lets not pretend as if there are not.
It does sound sexist, because most everything that you say about women is equally true for men.
--Men's anatomy can also be tortured
--Many men can't lift 240 lbs
--Men have to deal with being face-to-face with an enemy that HATES THEM!

For many women, equal means equal. That means giving up luxuries and accepting responsibilities.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:16 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
If Congress does not change the Selective Service Act to include women, then you can be certain it will be challenged to the Supreme Court under the Equal Protection Clause to include women. It will also be up to Congress to determine the level of training women will receive for combat MOS'. If Congress does what they did in 1977 and lower the standards for women, calling it "gender norming," they will succeed in destroying morale in the military and put lives in danger.

If women were interested in true equality, they would register for the draft and meet all the same existing requirements for combat MOS' that men must meet to qualify. Otherwise this is nothing more than political correctness gone awry. A sham whose purpose is to destroy military morale and get more military personnel killed.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:17 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post
It does sound sexist, because most everything that you say about women is equally true for men.
--Men's anatomy can also be tortured
--Many men can't lift 240 lbs
--Men have to deal with being face-to-face with an enemy that HATES THEM!

For many women, equal means equal. That means giving up luxuries and accepting responsibilities.
but if a woman becomes a prisoner....then there is one other thing

men can be impregnated during a prison rape........

women in infantry platoons...... a lawyers wet dream

Old 01-27-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
If Congress does not change the Selective Service Act to include women, then you can be certain it will be challenged to the Supreme Court under the Equal Protection Clause to include women. It will also be up to Congress to determine the level of training women will receive for combat MOS'. If Congress does what they did in 1977 and lower the standards for women, calling it "gender norming," they will succeed in destroying morale in the military and put lives in danger.

If women were interested in true equality, they would register for the draft and meet all the same existing requirements for combat MOS' that men must meet to qualify. Otherwise this is nothing more than political correctness gone awry. A sham whose purpose is to destroy military morale and get more military personnel killed.
I believe that there are different requirements for men in the military based on age. Is that also political correctness gone awry and a shame to destroy morale and get people killed?

Why is there not thread after thread about this?

Old 01-27-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I believe that there are different requirements for men in the military based on age. Is that also political correctness gone awry and a shame to destroy morale and get people killed?

Why is there not thread after thread about this?
That is fine, as long as both women and men have to meet the same requirements for their age bracket. If you lower the qualifications for women in the same age group as men, then it is nothing more than liberal hypocrisy and not equality.

In 1977 the standards were lowered for women in the same age bracket, and that had a devastating impact on morale in the military at the time. Even though women were not allowed in combat MOS' at that time. Now that they are allowed in combat MOS' if they are not trained to the same extent as men, they will get not only themselves killed but also those around them.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
That is fine, as long as both women and men have to meet the same requirements for their age bracket. If you lower the qualifications for women in the same age group as men, then it is nothing more than liberal hypocrisy and not equality.

In 1977 the standards were lowered for women in the same age bracket, and that had a devastating impact on morale in the military at the time. Even though women were not allowed in combat MOS' at that time. Now that they are allowed in combat MOS' if they are not trained to the same extent as men, they will get not only themselves killed but also those around them.
Why is it fine to lower the requirements for some people, but not lower them for other people?

If the requirements are necessary to function as a soldier, then they should be necessary for all soldiers, shouldn't they?

Old 01-27-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Why is it fine to lower the requirements for some people, but not lower them for other people?

If the requirements are necessary to function as a soldier, then they should be necessary for all soldiers, shouldn't they?
Because age does make a physical difference, for both genders. Someone who is 40 is not going to be able to perform as well as someone who is 18.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Because age does make a physical difference, for both genders. Someone who is 40 is not going to be able to perform as well as someone who is 18.
LMFAO

Uhh...and, typically, a female isn't going to be able to perform as well as a man.

So, why is changing the standards for one reason perfectly fine, and the other will lead to the destruction of the United States?

Old 01-27-2013, 11:57 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Now when women can join combat units, are they also required to sign up for the draft?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies