Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 11:42 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Which you actually can but that's not important right now.

Equally not important is the fact that Palin never said that, Tina Fey said that but don't let facts get in the way.
Couric: You've cited Alaska's proximity to Russia as part of your foreign policy experience. What did you mean by that?

Sarah Palin: That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and, on our other side, the land-boundary that we have with Canada. It's funny that a comment like that was kinda made to … I don't know, you know … reporters.

Couric: Mocked?

Palin: Yeah, mocked, I guess that's the word, yeah.

Couric: Well, explain to me why that enhances your foreign-policy credentials.

Palin: Well, it certainly does, because our, our next-door neighbors are foreign countries, there in the state that I am the executive of. And there…

Couric: Have you ever been involved in any negotiations, for example, with the Russians?

Palin: We have trade missions back and forth, we do. It's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia. As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there, they are right next to our state

Exclusive: Palin On Foreign Policy - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 11:45 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Couric: You've cited Alaska's proximity to Russia as part of your foreign policy experience. What did you mean by that?

Sarah Palin: That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and, on our other side, the land-boundary that we have with Canada. It's funny that a comment like that was kinda made to … I don't know, you know … reporters.

Couric: Mocked?

Palin: Yeah, mocked, I guess that's the word, yeah.

Couric: Well, explain to me why that enhances your foreign-policy credentials.

Palin: Well, it certainly does, because our, our next-door neighbors are foreign countries, there in the state that I am the executive of. And there…

Couric: Have you ever been involved in any negotiations, for example, with the Russians?

Palin: We have trade missions back and forth, we do. It's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia. As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there, they are right next to our state

Exclusive: Palin On Foreign Policy - CBS News
You know, I can't read that interview without conjuring up an image of a disembodied Putin head floating above Alaska. Like a giant helium balloon. lol

Old 02-02-2013, 01:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
She's not very popular here. I doubt she'd win a senate seat.
That's the impression I got when we were in Alaska last summer. I think she's an embarrassment to the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
You think that's bad? Well let me tell ya. Obama can't grasp simple concepts like how many states the U.S. has. He can't grasp how to pronounce the word 'Corpsman'. He can't grasp what year he is living in like when he signed the Westminister Abby Guest Book and dated it 2008 when visiting London in 2011. I mean good grief. I could go on about Obama but I think that's good enough for now. Palin has a hell of a lot more common political sense than Obama.
So you've never been tired and made a gaffe? Never dated something wrong? I write in medical records and every now and then mess up the date, including the year, and no, I'm not talking about in January when we change years. No one is faulting Sarah for her gaffes, or at least I don't. It's just her general lack of knowledge. I don't know what you mean about "political common sense". I don't see it in her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
Most of what Palin said was true. Historians even backed her up on the Paul Revere deal.

Sarah Palin Was Right About Paul Revere - Peter Roff (usnews.com)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Not hardly. Palin talks about "warning shots" and "ringing those bells" and warning the British.

In reality he was trying to sneak past the British troops and patrols so he wasn't "ringing any bells" or "firing any warning shots".

When he was captured he exaggarated the size of the colonial forces that the British would be facing. According to your source this constitutes "warning the British." Certainly a stretch of epic proportions.

So Palin wasn't even close to correct.
Exactly! Palin got a couple of "factoids" right in the story of Paul Revere, and someone trots out and says she was right. I recall reading that she wanted Wikipedia to actually re-write the story of Paul Revere to agree with what she said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, we've established that you didn't know the definition of the word relevant since it is, "Closely connected or appropriate to the matter at hand." So you say she isn't relevant but you've posted about her over and over and admit she has put herself in the political spotlight.

*cough* that would indeed make her relevant...even if it's in a bad way and it makes her look like an idiot....she is still relevant.

Again, nobody like me cares about Palin....I would LOVE it if the LW and RW nutjobs would stop arguing over her and let her fade away....but you can't.

You also can't seem to ever admit you've made a mistake.
She was in the news, for being let go by FOX. That's what makes her relevant at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Only when Putin reared his head over Alaska. Bill ran off to the country of Africa after that Putin's head rearing over, ringing those bells there and firing those warning shots to warn the British. Also.
No, it's "ringin' those bells and firin' those warning shots:.

Quote:
Which you actually can but that's not important right now.

Equally not important is the fact that Palin never said that, Tina Fey said that but don't let facts get in the way.
Sarah Palin said you could see Russia from Alaska, which is, of course, true.

Palin on her insight into Russian Politics - YouTube

Tina Fey mocked her, as is SNL's style (they have mocked Obama a lot), and said "I can see Russia from my house".

Old 02-05-2013, 09:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Your 15 minutes of fame will be long gone in 10 years it will be Sarah who?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies