Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:11 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
At least with the House of Windsor you occasionally get the occasional embarrassing drunkard...

Much like the House of Bush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 07:28 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Ummm ....

When a King or Queen takes the throne in a ceremony it is called a Coronation, NOT an "inauguration." When Presidents get sworn into office ceremonially, that is called an "inauguration."
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
No, that is not correct. A coronation technically must involve the bestowing, or wearing, or both, of a crown, hence the term from the Latin corona.

The Dutch custom is for the new head of state to swear an oath of office; while the regalia are displayed during the ceremony, no Dutch king or queen has ever been crowned at their inauguration. Dutch government websites such as this one and this one generally refer to the sovereign's inauguration - the term coronation in reference to the Dutch sovereign is used loosely and inaccurately (though often by foreign journalists).
Thank you for the clarification!

I stand corrected!!

I was aware that in Denmark, the King or Queen (in our time Queen Margrethe II) is forbidden by constitutional law from wearing a crown; even though she is given the title of "queen" she is not a sovereign, and therefore did not go through a coronation. I was unaware this was true for the Netherlands, however. I have learned something today.

In celebration of the new king - the first one in more than a century - I will sing "Het Wilhelmus."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies