Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 04:08 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
So if it is not a huge number than it can be ignored? Gotcha. How does being anti-trafficking line any pockets?
donations, grants, etc.

gives a lot of people much more lavish lifestyles than they deserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 04:21 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
donations, grants, etc.

gives a lot of people much more lavish lifestyles than they deserve.

Sounds like you are in the trafficking business. Know what? I would rather give those who are fighting against sex trafficking a lavish lifestyle than to those creeps who are in the sex trafficking business any day.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Sounds like you are in the trafficking business. Know what? I would rather give those who are fighting against sex trafficking a lavish lifestyle than to those creeps who are in the sex trafficking business any day.
they don't do anything, just live a lavish lifestyle at the expense of the western donors they duped, and make things worse in supposed source countries.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:30 PM

Source countries like Thailand where the sex business is a whole industry in itself? You can't even go to the police about it since they are on the take.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:38 PM

pretty sad when you guys can't base your arguments on reality. have to make up lies.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
pretty sad when you guys can't base your arguments on reality. have to make up lies.
Pretty sad when anyone tries to defend sex trafficking.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:35 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
The numbers do seem high. There really no way to get hard data, so I do think they project figures that are far higher then they really are. I don't deny it exists, but I don't think it's quite as common as they would lead you to believe.

The same thing could be said of companies claims of pirating losses. Lets look at just the pirating of movies. The Motion Picture Association (MPA) claims they lost 6.1 billion dollars to movie piracy in 2005. The problem I see here is lets say a typical teenager goes to the movies 12 times a year. If they are downloading 100 movies a year, how can you claim losses on the other 88 movies? There's no way he could afford to go to the movies 88 more times a year, so in reality they are not really losses, since you would never would have had that many sales in the first place. The same thing could be applied to people who sell boot legged DVD's. People who buy boot legged DVD's can afford to buy 5 or 6 DVD's because they are far cheaper in the store. So the store really only lost 1 sale, not 5 or 6, since the typical buyer wouldn't have purchased that many. Does piracy hurt the MPA profits? Absolutely, but I think they are exaggerating there losses by a factor of 10 or more.
Sure, I've thought the same about all those fake Gucci handbags and a while back, designer jeans. The companies say the value/exclusiveness of the product is diluted if everyone has one.

I think legalizing would go a long way to reduce slavery only because most men would want to frequent legal establishments, especially if johns would also be prosecuted when the illegal ones were raided. I also think women who moonlight this way occasionally would not apply for a legal license because most lead another life in which nobody knows their side line.

I read somewhere that the call girl who appeared on all the media as being Elliot Spitzer's regular 'date' was just a stand in for the real one who wanted to finish college and get another profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies