Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,895 times

Advertisements

reason 23,894 why Im glad Im rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Education and income are not credit rating.
Let's make it simple.

Education -> Better job -> More money -> More likely to pay debts -> Better credit rating

Not 100% certain, but the probabilities are in favor of the above outcome.

See?

Old 01-29-2013, 04:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Going through Geico's online quote,

Quote:
In connection with this insurance rate quote and any renewal of insurance, we may obtain or use a credit-based insurance score based on the information contained in your credit report. We may use a third party in connection with the development of your insurance score.
As far as the 45 days without insurance that's a red flag for any insurance company especially if the coverage lapsed.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:05 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Well, the rich are better than all of us. They go through so much trouble creating jobs for us useless peons, the least that can be done for those poor, stressed out souls is to give them discounts on auto insurance, on top of reduced tax rates and favorable treatment in the courts
You don't need to be rich for a good credit rating, you do need to pay bills on time.

A good credit rating means you pay bill on time, don't let insurance lapse, don't require reminders every month to pay your bills, don't look at other companies every month or so to try to save 2$, all of which means reduced costs for the insurance company to maintain your policy. Lower costs means they can charge less and maintain the same profit margin.

I am not rich by any means, I pay 756$ every 6 months, full coverage, 0$ deductible on my comprehensive, 2 drivers. One of my cars is considered high performance due to being supercharged, and yes I pay a bit more for that one. I have good rates, and coverage, because I maintained a single agency and policy for a long time, pay my bills, and there is even an accident on there that a third driver had while driving one of the vehicles on the policy. See, MY policy covers the vehicles, even if I let someone else drive the car.

The article said 1 person didn't have insurance for 45 days. That means a higher policy rate everywhere I have been.

Esurance – Car Insurance Myths: Coverage Lapses Don't Affect Your Rate

BTW, reduced tax rates? really? Have you ever looked at the tax burden in totality?
People who make more, pay more in totality. Even if their rate appears to be less, if they make 10 million dollars, and 5 million is taxed at 15% capital gains, (Which means the money was actually already taxed once as business income before distribution as stock dividends and such), that's 750K in capital gains taxes. While a LOWER tax rate at first sight, it has been taxed as income at the business side, before being taxed again as capital gains taxes, which means that the money has been taxed at a higher rate on total than you or I pay in taxes, in total.

The Millionaires Who Pay the Highest Tax Rate

Please note, for the frothing at the mouth fox news haters, the above article is from the liberal cnbc.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:15 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Where can I get some Personal Responsibility gear? I'm looking for a hat and maybe a foam finger.

I'm working up a line of Personal Responsibility gear currently.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Trying to make this a class warfare issue is misleading. Read the article. Everyone knows that your car insurance rates go down when you are married vs. single Furthermore, the married woman owns a house so if you "bundle" your insurance policies, you also have lower rates. And 3rd, the single woman had let her insurance lapse for 45 days. THAT, demonstrates poor credit rating.

State Farm does give student discounts for Dean's List students. You can also reduce your car insurance premium by taking a safe driver course.

What recently blew me away was learning the amount my 89 yr. old mother in Florida was paying for car insurance on a leased vehicle - almost $3,000 a year! I'll be taking care of THAT when I go down for a visit soon, that is highway robbery. She naively thought that since she got the insurance through an AARP recommended insurer she got a better rate. HA!

If you know you're not going to be using your car for 45 days, why wouldn't you let it lapse? I try to save money wherever I can.

And I actually had a low income discount with State Farm when I had a car, so I've never considered their policies egregious.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:21 AM

768 posts, read 879,943 times
Less crime in rich areas = car less likely to be stolen = lower premiums.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Here's a little article for you. Credit rating affects many things in our lives, including our rates for insurance.

How credit scores affect insurance rates

I know that, but credit rating was never mentioned in the article. Someone on C-D decided to read more into the OP than was there.

My credit score went in the tank ten years ago when I abruptly lost all my income, landed in hospital for months, and was unable to work for a year.

Since then, I have paid all my bills on time but my credit is still in the tank because debt scavengers buy and re-age my old accounts. Also, I have not used or applied for any credit in the past ten years.

Exactly should my bad credit today prevent me from having a life? What exactly does my credit score have to do with my current risk profile?

Old 01-29-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWS View Post
Less crime in rich areas = car less likely to be stolen = lower premiums.

BZZT! In this example nobody was applying for comprehensive auto coverage, which is what covers theft and vandalism. So this example has nothing to do with theft or vandalism risk.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:39 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Credit has more to do with your repayment history and debt to income/asset load vs. just income. I know people with sterling credit who don't make all that much, but they pay their bills and they've saved and invested, and I know people with great paying jobs with a ton of debt and no savings or assets at all.

Last edited by mb1547; 01-29-2013 at 05:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies