Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:33 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,876,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
IMO, Barry Goldwater may have been the closest representative of Libertarianism in recent decades.

"A lot of so-called conservatives don't know what the word means. They think I've turned liberal because I believe a woman has a right to an abortion. That's a decision that's up to the pregnant woman, not up to the pope or some do-gooders or the Religious Right."

The rest of them, simply want to be seen as such out of desperation to separate self from republicanism.
I think a lot of liberals don't know what that word means.
They commandeered the term from true liberals and changed the definition through popular culture.
When people caught on top that, they changed to progressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 02:41 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,793,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
They commandeered the term from true liberals and changed the definition through popular culture.
What word would that be, that Goldwater is alluding to? Let me hear it. I suspect that you're absolutely no clue about what you just responded to with the typical mindless obligatory remark.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:42 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,206,126 times
Quote:
I think a lot of "libertarians" don't know what liberty means.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,876,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What word would that be, that Goldwater is alluding to? Let me hear it. I suspect that you're absolutely no clue about what you just responded to with the typical mindless obligatory remark.
Have I don't something to **** you off?
I don't think I said anything rude or even sarcastic in my post.

so why don't you pull your panties out of your crack and be civil?
The word I was referring to is 'liberal' as derived from 'liberty'.

If that is not the word you were referencing -OMG, I'm so F'ing sorry.
But I'm sure you will eventually get over it.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:00 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,776,797 times
As long as my federal tax dollars don't pay for it.......then it so be it

Old 01-29-2013, 03:12 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,361,078 times
I have no problem with the LP platform statement but would add it is unrealistic that people would accept no law on the matter of abortion. And would add on whole slew of other issues. Considering the main thrust of democracy is the majority to rule over the minority on policy.

I guess I would say I lean more of being a constitutional supporter and states right advocate. It is a giving that the states gave up their sovereignty many years ago and we are left with a all powerful federal gvt. In my imaginary world the states would decide most issues and the federal gvt would have a limited role as the constitution intended.

Does that make me against freedom? I say no. I would support a state that makes abortion illegal and with the same fervor support a state where it is legal. And you can see where I am going with this and I would have the same response on any issue. The states and their people would choose their destiny and their laws.

Is it against freedom? I say no if you do not like your states laws you have the freedom to move to a state that is in line with your ideology. In my imaginary world there would be a lot of freedom in this country and the people would be way happier.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:14 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,793,227 times
Quote:
Have I don't something to **** you off?
I don't think I said anything rude or even sarcastic in my post.

so why don't you pull your panties out of your crack and be civil?
The word I was referring to is 'liberal' as derived from 'liberty'.

If that is not the word you were referencing -OMG, I'm so F'ing sorry.
But I'm sure you will eventually get over it.
I don't come here to talk about the condition of the typical "conservative's" diaper. If you can't handle my posts, try to stay away from them.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:15 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,754,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
As this thread clearly demonstrates, most of the people who are fond of calling themselves "Libertarians" are nothing more than right wing social engineers. They are disingenuous charlatans whose defense of personal freedom extends no further than their personal beliefs.
Yep sure are. How dare us not want a woman to murder a baby that has no say in being born or not. That's defending another person,that child has as much say so as she does when it comes to being born or not. Don't want an unwanted child? A. Don't have sex B. Get fixed so you can't have kids.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:16 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,367,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Do you libertarians think Roe versus Wade advanced the cause of personal liberty?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_v._Wade

I know of no federal law preventing abortion, or protecting it from the states.

Don't like your states laws? Change them or move.

Simple enough

Old 01-29-2013, 03:18 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,936,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Here's the official position of the libertarian party on abortion:

"Recognizing that abortion is a sensitive issue and that people can hold good-faith views on all sides, we believe that government should be kept out of the matter, leaving the question to each person for their conscientious consideration."
You dont think that all that have posted a response to this point are Libertarians...do you? This is quickly turning into another abortion good vs. abortion bad thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies