Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 05:26 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
My tax dollars. In Illinois 54% of all kids are born on welfare.
If you are going to throw out such blatant misinformation, why should we even believe our OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 05:27 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Let me preface this by stating that I despise both parties. I am an independent and did vote Obama in 2008 (voted Johnson this time). I don't care for most politicians.

However I am a strong believer in the ideas of a somewhat traditional family. I don't believe one should be having kids unless married and supporting the kids and I believe in staying together pretty much no matter what. I think illegitimacy and divorce is destroying too many families and I see a difference between kids raised by married parents versus kids from divorced parents versus kids born out of wedlock.

Recently I gave an interview to a local paper about this and of course the claws come out, like how dare I attack non traditional families? That I should accept the new family life. That how dare I attack illegals going on welfare. So much more but you get the idea.

Since when has terrible ideas become the correct way?
Because no self-proclaimed conservatives ever have children out of wedlock, yes? They never have abortions either. So they say.

Yet, I know several people in red states who will loudly protest paying for the welfare of others ~ who have made their own mistakes.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:28 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,872,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I don't even know how to begin to respond to this remark. I'll just say many people disagree.
We don't live in the era of Leave It To Beaver anymore. The Cleavers do not exist. Really they never did except on TV.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:33 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,744,923 times
It should be obvious that a two-parent household (mom and dad) is best, assuming they are normal decent human beings who want what's best for their kids.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:34 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
No but they are forcing me to pay for it and accept it.
A good argument in favor of free, easily available contraceptives.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:37 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,210 times
Quote:
Let me preface this by stating that I despise both parties. I am an independent and did vote Obama in 2008 (voted Johnson this time). I don't care for most politicians.

However I am a strong believer in the ideas of a somewhat traditional family. I don't believe one should be having kids unless married and supporting the kids and I believe in staying together pretty much no matter what. I think illegitimacy and divorce is destroying too many families and I see a difference between kids raised by married parents versus kids from divorced parents versus kids born out of wedlock.

Recently I gave an interview to a local paper about this and of course the claws come out, like how dare I attack non traditional families? That I should accept the new family life. That how dare I attack illegals going on welfare. So much more but you get the idea.

Since when has terrible ideas become the correct way?
You cannot make public according to your personal views about morality. You have to make public policy with an eye to how things play out in the real world.

For example, look at almost any society where divorce rates are very low. You'll see they have several things in common. Women have few legal rights and limited economic opportunities. Marriages are often arranged. The marriage relationship itself is viewed as a purely functional one-married men and women have strict roles to play and are expected to play them. No one cares if they are happy with each other or not. Divorced people and children born out of wedlock are shunned as pariahs.

Do you want to live in a society like that? I don't...

Old 01-30-2013, 05:38 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
A good argument in favor of free, easily available contraceptives.
The best argument.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:43 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The best argument.

And it illustrates the cognitive dissonance of the right wing. They hate welfare babies with a passion but oppose measures that would lower their numbers.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:29 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Being conservative is one thing, being sanctimonious, self righteous, and pious is another.
This thread should have ended after this comment.

Out of wedlock births are more likely to occur to those with low education levels and lower incomes. If you look at it by state you'll see that it those with the highest percentages of out of wedlock births aren't occurring in those bastions of liberalism. Rankings Across States

So OP is coming across as nothing but a sanctimonious jerk that for some unknown reason believes that lack of education and being mired in poverty are "liberal ideas."

Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
My tax dollars. In Illinois 54% of all kids are born on welfare.
would you prefer these without means to support their babies get abortions instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies