Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 11:38 PM

18 posts, read 12,145 times

Advertisements

Ahh, sorry to hear that and with a black pres and all. They still can't find work. Well what has the pres done? I bet he just gives em food stamps and forgets them. No way to live. So why were they that dumb to put him in for this long? They should march to the White House and demand jobs. America should put all people to work even if they are black, white yellow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 11:50 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have skills and a college degree. So do about a million other people. My skills are involved in cartography and the use of GIS. I know data analysis, raster to vector translation, data capture, and remote sensing. I still have problems getting a job. Every job I've seen requires more than a year of experience.
Unfortunately, that's a big problem for a lot of people just getting out of college. My daughter graduated from college in 2010, when the job market was really hurting around here. Very few hiring, and a whole lot of laid-off college-educated people with prior work experience to choose from. She did get a job as an associate manager at Wal-Mart (pays very well), but it's not in the field she studied.

What kind of job can you get with your skills? Is that an oil and gas related field, or did you get those skills in the military?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
I have skills and a college degree. So do about a million other people. My skills are involved in cartography and the use of GIS. I know data analysis, raster to vector translation, data capture, and remote sensing. I still have problems getting a job. Every job I've seen requires more than a year of experience.
Just tell em you had two years and prove yourself. If you are good you are good.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:58 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,524,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I think Romney would have made things better for blacks because he favored a pro-growth policy. And, though it was sold as racist, a better immigration plan that Obama. Low skilled workers will be the most hurt by amnesty, and that would probably disproportionately affect teenagers and poor people. I believe there have been black business groups that have implored the Congressional Black Caucus to vote against the immigration bill for that very reason.

As for your "level playing field" comment, I have no idea what more could be done to level the playing field for black people. We have grants and scholarships dedicated solely to black people, affirmative action in college admissions and hiring, preferences for minority-owned businesses in winning government contracts, and huge amounts of money spent on elementary and secondary education.

Unfortunately, about the same time as these policies were put in place during the Civil Rights Era, LBJ's War on Poverty was implemented. In 1965, the black illegitimacy rate was around 24%, but now it's over 70%! Why marry that girl if the gov't will give her and the child a better life than you could? I feel gov't assistance traps a person in poverty by disincentivizing marriage or even full time employment (can't make too much money). I can't say I can entirely blame a mother for not wanting to work more hours if it means losing some of her rent money or child care assistance. But I do blame a system that encourages the woman to be in that position in the first place.
elementary and high schools in this nation are largely underfunded, especially the black schools in the inner city.

People dont realize it cost more to live/educate in the city, and there for the per pupil spending goes up.

spending 10,000 dollars a kid in a big city does not equate to spending 5,000 a kid in the country. Then there is what goes into that average;food, transportation, sports, teacher salaries.

also,the illegitimacy rate is an arbitrary number, being born to an unwed mother is not the same as the child's father not being in their life.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Pandering to any demographic will hurt another demographic.

And for NAFTA, illegal immigration, and other things that go on, it's all about money. I don't blame China, Mexico, or anyone else for it. Companies found out it was cheaper to outsource jobs overseas than to pay people here a living wage. It's all about money, and people get used as pawns.
NAFTA, instituted by Clinton (and vigorously defended by Gore in his debate with Ross Perot). Illegal immigration, vigorously defended and aided and abetted by Democrats wanting new voting demographic and conservative business owners wanting cheap labor.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
It's just like the South politicians take the white vote for granted. They will never vote for a minority or a democrat, so these politicians put an R next to their name and win every time, while pursuing policies in direct opposition to their "base". Yet many of these cowards never address affirmative action, illegal immigration that drives down wages for the working class, etc.

All of our politicians operate this way. They will campaign only in swing states and only pander to groups they are trying to "recruit", at the expense of those they are supposed to represent.

All Obama needs to do is critique the inner city culture that perpetuated poverty and violent crime.
Instead he hangs with Jay Z, a man who made billions by pushing filth on young blacks, pumping negativity into their minds for 20 years. But remember, it is the record companies who promote this garbage, along with Hollywood...I wonder what ethnic/religious group dominates those industries.
Sure, because we've never seen a minority or democrat being elected in the South.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
NAFTA, instituted by Clinton (and vigorously defended by Gore in his debate with Ross Perot). Illegal immigration, vigorously defended and aided and abetted by Democrats wanting new voting demographic and conservative business owners wanting cheap labor.
Perot was the man. Al Gore is a dope. The blacks need jobs here in the USA and with a black pres no less. I am tellin ya, there are gonna be riots. They may lynch Obama is he doesn't shape up and get some jobs going.

Perot knew what he was talkin about . I met him. Nice Guy. Had some great ideas for the country. People are stupid. Keep picking the wrong guys to run the country. Can't move anything today. Got to hustle to keep what you got. Kind of strange though , those guys come over the wall find jobs and live pretty good.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:11 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, that's a big problem for a lot of people just getting out of college. My daughter graduated from college in 2010, when the job market was really hurting around here. Very few hiring, and a whole lot of laid-off college-educated people with prior work experience to choose from. She did get a job as an associate manager at Wal-Mart (pays very well), but it's not in the field she studied.

What kind of job can you get with your skills? Is that an oil and gas related field, or did you get those skills in the military?
I first used my skill in the form of an internship, making maps for a national park. I first chance with doing some environmental work. I've never done anything with the military or the oil/gas industry.

I could definitely understand what your daughter went through. I'm going through it now. What gets me, is that some people I know, who graduated in my field, they got jobs.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:14 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Democrats weren't the only ones pushing for illegal immigration. Last time I checked, Reagan supported amnesty.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
elementary and high schools in this nation are largely underfunded, especially the black schools in the inner city.

People dont realize it cost more to live/educate in the city, and there for the per pupil spending goes up.

spending 10,000 dollars a kid in a big city does not equate to spending 5,000 a kid in the country. Then there is what goes into that average;food, transportation, sports, teacher salaries.

also,the illegitimacy rate is an arbitrary number, being born to an unwed mother is not the same as the child's father not being in their life.
This nation spends more on education than every other nation, by HUGE amounts. Funding isn't the problem, the education system and our culture are the problems. School districts spend too much money on top-heavy administration, and not enough on education. But all the money in the world, even spent efficiently, won't help if kids don't have parents who are interested in their education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies