Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 12:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Where did I say that this wasn't a big deal? In fact, I would recommend that you go and look at the rest of my posts. My point to him is that murder rates have fluctuated throughout American history and violence has been a problem throughout American history. And my post had nothing to do with gun laws.
And it's not just the murder rates -- the murder rates have gone down with the increase in prisons.

I'm all for keeping killers in prison but that's not prevention.

For the inner city youth -- not just Chicago's, but Detroit's and everywhere, the future holds prison, death, or a job.

Only a job is a positive future and nothing much is being done about job for this group. Pretty sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 01:23 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And it's not just the murder rates -- the murder rates have gone down with the increase in prisons.

I'm all for keeping killers in prison but that's not prevention.

For the inner city youth -- not just Chicago's, but Detroit's and everywhere, the future holds prison, death, or a job.

Only a job is a positive future and nothing much is being done about job for this group. Pretty sad.
I'm of the same school as you when it comes to murder. You do the crime, you do the time. We should lock up people who commit murder. However, I am also aware that more money tends to get spent on prisons than education.

Jobs are definitely a necessity, no argument there. That kept in mind, a good education is also necessary. We can't expect every person to become a rocket scientist. However, we should be doing more to make sure that inner city youths have a better education. An education can lead to a better job. There also needs to be things done to get people into entrepreneurship. One place to start is the green energy sector.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:01 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's hard to say because Chicago enforces laws in some neighborhoods more than others. You mug and shoot some tourist in lincoln park and your gang is going to shoot you if the cops don't get you first.....

Oh, and IMO the gun laws don't work in Chicago for the same reason I can buy heroin, meth etc. there.

Again, you have states awash in guns like MN that have no serious murder problem.....it's not the guns.
That is true. And many people outside Chicago don't understand the Chicago code.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
What bothers me about the shooting of the 15 year old student, who had performed at Obama's inauguration festivities, is that the police are reporting that the other teens who were present when she was shot are not cooperating. Maybe they are afraid of retaliation, but it's so wrong for them to not help catch the thug who murdered their friend. When the very people most at risk for being victims of violence won't cooperate with the police in catching a murderer, it just seems hopeless. Like why aren't the parents of these teens making them cooperate?
In Chicago you don't see nothin, you don't hear nothin and you don't say nothin.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
No, it's been the splintering of the major gangs and the new factions fighting over smaller areas of turf. Has nothing to do with the gun laws or lack thereof, despite what the national media and internet memes want you to believe.

Chicago really is a safe city besides a couple neighborhoods. Unfortunately, those neighborhoods really drag the city down (despite being quite beautiful in appearance...much of the south and west sides used to be very wealthy areas back in the day).
What he said. We certainly enjoy life in Arlington Heights. Haven't seen a shooting all year!

Old 01-31-2013, 02:52 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
Chicago has one of the strictest gun laws in the United States. They're a good example of how pointless gun control really is...

Chicago Homicide Rate 2013 Already At 40 Before End Of January
Never know, the 2012 record might get surpassed, you figure 40 in one month X 12 months, 480.
2012 had 500+.

Mc Carthy should hold another press conference.

I-Team: Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy says he has answers for Chicago's rising murder rate | abc7chicago.com

Old 01-31-2013, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Never know, the 2012 record might get surpassed, you figure 40 in one month X 12 months, 480.
2012 had 500+.

Mc Carthy should hold another press conference.

I-Team: Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy says he has answers for Chicago's rising murder rate | abc7chicago.com
Let's go for a record! We can do it Chicago!!

Old 01-31-2013, 03:55 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Sad story about the young girl that was gunned down in a park not far from where Obama's home is, is all over the news. This happened in a "good" neighborhood with little crime. She was a good girl with a bright future. She was one of the youngsters that performed at Obama's inauguration. The police superintendent and the mayor have vowed to catch the gunman and want the case closed - like yesterday.

Now I have to wonder, what makes this murder more high profile than the other murders of innocent people in Chicago and warrants a manhunt for the capture of the gunman? I doubt that the 500 people that died last year were all gangbangers and there were some good, upstanding citizens (children, parents) gunned down.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:08 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Hadiya Pendleton killed - chicagotribune.com

Short of violating people's civil rights, I don't think there's very much police can do about the gun violence. Cops can't perform illegal searches like they did in the old days. All they can depend upon is tipsters, to help them in the direction of capturing the criminals. Maybe I've watched too many episodes of the first 48, but when detectives go to neighborhoods looking for murderers, they're met with people who refuse to "snitch", which makes their job more difficult.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:06 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,942 times
Legalize drugs and LOCK up sociopaths would do wonders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies