Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 12:58 PM

247 posts, read 354,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm a dark woman and I have turned down many guys, for a variety of reasons. But I won't attempt to discount your experiences, because I don't doubt that these are very real issues for you, based on your posts. I just think we have to keep it in perspective and realize that everyone's situation is unique. There are some dark women who have a variety of options to choose from (for a variety of different reasons), while others may not be as fortunate. I just take issue with some posters lumping all dark women into the "undesirable class," because again, this is not the case for many of us.
Even the most attractive darkskinned Black women are marginalized. For instance the youtube guru Patricia Bright, while attractive, is still no where near as popular as the lighter skinned/mixed race fashion gurus like AndreasChoice. Both men and women are always on lightskinned and mixed women pages raving about how gorgeous they are, and they get way more views and opportunities to branch off and explore more avenues to be successful. No matter how attractive or gorgeous a darkskinned Black woman is, her beauty seems to have NO value or privilege whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 01:44 PM

353 posts, read 395,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple rage View Post
Even the most attractive darkskinned Black women are marginalized. For instance the youtube guru Patricia Bright, while attractive, is still no where near as popular as the lighter skinned/mixed race fashion gurus like AndreasChoice. Both men and women are always on lightskinned and mixed women pages raving about how gorgeous they are, and they get way more views and opportunities to branch off and explore more avenues to be successful. No matter how attractive or gorgeous a darkskinned Black woman is, her beauty seems to have NO value or privilege whatsoever.
I subscribed to Andrea's channel two years ago. She is far more popular than Patricia Bright, but I actually prefer Patricia's channel (partly because we share a similar look and style).

The fact is colorism (as I have already stated) does exist, and will continue to exist as long as human beings ascribe value with certain skin pigments. We do not have control over other people's opinion, we simply have control over our own beliefs. Patricia and many other dark female fashion gurus have decided to fill a space, that didn't previously exist in the vlog world. Instead of complaining that dark women weren't put in the limelight, they decided to create their own limelight.

To a certain extent I do agree that Andrea was able to capitalize off of her biracial look, but you can't blame Andrea for that. What you failed to point out is there are key differences between the two, that extend far beyond the light vs dark paradigm, which may play a greater role in explaining why Andrea's channel is more popular. I'm not sure if you know this but, Andrea's job is youtube. This means that the bulk of her day is spent creating videos and promoting products to capture user views. Patricia however, makes it known repeatedly that she is a working professional. She majored in finance and works 60+ hours at a business consulting firm in London. Her videos are actually done for fun, not for profit, which means, unlike Andrea she doesn't have hours upon hours to devote towards her channel. Still, she is definitely starting to get noticed by big named companies and receiving awards for her channel.

Midweek Awards night! - YouTube

Although we both agree that colorism exist, you and I seem to differ on how we approach the issue. Do you allow it to defeat you, or do you continue to live your life and seek out everything that you want and desire?

Patricia's channel came about because of the dearth of dark skin beauty guru's on youtube. Instead of being jealous of Andrea, she developed her own beauty channel. She is certainly not the only dark beauty guru in youtube land, but I tend to like her attitude, because she won't ever entertain the notion that she is less than someone else, because her skin pigment is darker.

Last edited by Mary20852; 04-07-2013 at 01:58 PM..

Old 04-07-2013, 01:59 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,628 times
I don't think the attraction has a lot to do with concentration of melanin, so having dark skin has little to do with it, despite the "light-skinned girls are prettier" misconception.

It has more to do with symmetry of features, bone structure, feminine proportions that have more weight than mere color of the skin when it comes to physical appearance. Many Black women in America don't have the smaller features that many men find appealing in women of Asian and European descent, for example (and I'm not mentioning these as being preferable to me, just what seems to be a general consensus with men) - thinner nose, whispy, ribbony hair, or loosely curled hair, petite stature better with a stacked waist-to-hip ratio, and a Barbie-like symmetrical appearance in the facial features that is softer.

There are women of all colors all over the world who have those features, so it has little to do with color of skin, and more to do with features; and many (not all) African American women with West African heritage do not share these features naturally. Meanwhile, we do observe that very dark-skinned women in Eastern and northern parts of Africa seem to have smaller features that most men would be attracted to as well, so color of skin isn't the issue. I don't believe it's a reflection of self-hate, but it is a fair observation in understanding the discrepancy with a preference in most men for women with certain features.

It seems to be more so a matter of proportions and symmetry of structures in the face, not depth of hue. And that kind of preference seen for Asian women in men all over the world is what I believe the original poster is trying to say; not just in having dark skin because many Asians also have brown skin.

Last edited by Yiuppy; 04-07-2013 at 02:21 PM..

Old 04-07-2013, 02:24 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Hopefully this little cutie and all of the other beautiful little Black girls who look just like her will NEVER adopt your outlook on the perception of their attractiveness.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:30 PM

247 posts, read 354,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
I don't think the attraction has a lot to do with concentration of melanin, so having dark skin has little to do with it, despite the "light-skinned girls are prettier" misconception.

It has more to do with symmetry of features, bone structure, feminine proportions that have more weight than mere color of the skin when it comes to physical appearance. Many Black women in America don't have the smaller features that many men find appealing in women of Asian and European descent, for example (and I'm not mentioning these as being preferable to me, just what seems to be a general consensus with men) - thinner nose, whispy, ribbony hair, or loosely curled hair, petite stature better with a stacked waist-to-hip ratio, and a Barbie-like symmetrical appearance in the facial features that is softer.

There are women of all colors all over the world who have those features, so it has little to do with color of skin, and more to do with features; and many (not all) African American women with West African heritage do not share these features naturally. Meanwhile, we do observe that very dark-skinned women in Eastern and northern parts of Africa seem to have smaller features that most men would be attracted to as well, so color of skin isn't the issue. I don't believe it's a reflection of self-hate, but it is a fair observation in understanding the discrepancy with a preference in most men for women with certain features.

It seems to be more so a matter of proportions and symmetry of structures in the face, not depth of hue. And that kind of preference seen for Asian women in men all over the world is what I believe the original poster is trying to say; not just in having dark skin because many Asians also have brown skin.
Asian women do have lighter skin and naturally straight hair that is not commonly found in most Black women. However, a lot of them have round flat noses, and other non-Barbie like features. But they get a pass for it because of their hair and skin.

Quote:
Meanwhile, we do observe that very dark-skinned women in Eastern and northern parts of Africa seem to have smaller features that most men would be attracted to as well, so color of skin isn't the issue.
Why are keen features viewed as softer and smaller though? I dont think I look hard nor do I think my features are huge

Last edited by purple rage; 04-07-2013 at 02:40 PM..

Old 04-07-2013, 03:19 PM

353 posts, read 395,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post

I've spent time in Nigeria, Gambia and Senegal, and what I personally witnessed was the overall variation of facial features. There are some West African women who have naturally big noses, while others have naturally thinner noses. Generally speaking, black women have a very unique look, due to skin pigmentation, variety of hair texture and facial features. No one should be told that they are not as valuable as another group, due to skin color, hair texture or physical features. This is why it's so important for each person to really love themselves and accept, cherish and value their own unique brand of beauty.

Another point of contention is whether the super petite stature is generally more attractive than a woman with a shapely athletic figure. I have a petite figure, but I think that a number of men view women with a shapely figure as more feminine, because these women tend to have naturally bigger breasts, hips and behinds. Many East Asian women, in particular tend to have very straight lined figures, with relatively little body fat. Although this look is often promoted as beautiful in the fashion world, it doesn't mean that it is more beautiful and feminine. It simply means that this is what Western society currently promotes, and by extension, this is what people have decided to value at the moment.

Last edited by Mary20852; 04-07-2013 at 04:11 PM..

Old 04-07-2013, 03:22 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Please do not take this the wrong way but your posts are dripping with a personal lack of self confidence and the insistence on draping yourself in the cloak of dark skin being unattractive.

There are dark skinned Black women in America and all over this world who are WINNING....yes, WINNING! The reason that they are winning is because they are not sitting around worrying about rappers and 40 million dollar slaves not wanting them. These women are dating/engaged to/married to SMART money men.

Mellody Hobson and George Lucas

B. Smith and her husband Dan
(prominent business man)

Prince Albert and the mother of his son

South African billionaire Patrice Motsepe and his wife

Billionaire Roland Betts and his wife Lois

Billionaire Peter Norton and his wife

Russian billionaire Vladamir Doronin and Naomi Campbell

Prince Maximilian of Liechtenstein and his wife Angela
one of the wealthiest royal families in Europe

(by the way not one single member of a European royal family is married to an Asian woman yet several have Black wives)

and on and on....

Old 04-07-2013, 07:13 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Please do not take this the wrong way but your posts are dripping with a personal lack of self confidence and the insistence on draping yourself in the cloak of dark skin being unattractive.

There are dark skinned Black women in America and all over this world who are WINNING....yes, WINNING! The reason that they are winning is because they are not sitting around worrying about rappers and 40 million dollar slaves not wanting them. These women are dating/engaged to/married to SMART money men.

Mellody Hobson and George Lucas

B. Smith and her husband Dan
(prominent business man)

Prince Albert and the mother of his son

South African billionaire Patrice Motsepe and his wife

Billionaire Roland Betts and his wife Lois

Billionaire Peter Norton and his wife

Russian billionaire Vladamir Doronin and Naomi Campbell

Prince Maximilian of Liechtenstein and his wife Angela
one of the wealthiest royal families in Europe

(by the way not one single member of a European royal family is married to an Asian woman yet several have Black wives)

and on and on....
Beautiful post. Janet Jackson is also in the Black women married to Billionaires club. I wouldn't pay rappers any mind. They don't even control the industry they dominate. They need to figure out how best not to end up in jail, since that appears to be quite a challenge for this set. Many American rappers are an embarrassment.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:13 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Well,just last week, I read a letter by a black man on the internet stating he doesn't like thick dark skinned women,he only like light skinned thick women.

I just know it can't be in those girls's heads that dark skin is considered inferior.
When I'm not on cd,I her these things all the time.
My mom remembers her mixed sister telling her"white people look so clean when they dress up".

Old 04-07-2013, 10:17 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Beautiful post. Janet Jackson is also in the Black women married to Billionaires club. I wouldn't pay rappers any mind. They don't even control the industry they dominate. They need to figure out how best not to end up in jail, since that appears to be quite a challenge for this set. Many American rappers are an embarrassment.
You do realize most aren't married,in the pics you posted?
My other issue is lots have straight weaves or perms in their hair. Lastly,Janet is dark skinned.
You know,maybe I just spent too much time in the P and C forum.

Do you all remember the incident with the long time residents of Martha's vineyard and Michelle Obama?
I've read that many blacks didn't want her there because she wasn't one of them(code for being light skinned).
I'm surprised you didn't put Michelle up there.
But then,it might prove my point. She gets trashed about her looks daily,esp from black men and women.
Yes,black people have written very nasty things about her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies