Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 12:50 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times

Advertisements

The basic idea behind the founding of this nation, is that people left alone to run their own lives, pull their own weight, and learn from the consequences of their own mistakes, would create a safer and more propserous nation that people controlled by others (such as an overbearing government). This basic idea held that government was there, not to "help" citizens with their routine problems of life, but ONLY to protect their basic rights against infringement by others. Including infringement by government itself.

The OP is correct, in that most of today's liberals do not believe in this idea - a situation that is apparent from the way they constantly vote. They clearly think government is there to help us with routine, everyday problems such as getting health care, choosing light bulbs and toilets, and taking our property if the government thinks it has a better use for it than we do.

Such a concept diametrically opposes the American ideal I described above. As such, today's liberals (including members of both major parties) indeed do not believe in the founding ideals of the United States of America; and many of them actively oppose it. Some of them aren't aware of that, but it remains so nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 01:29 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The basic idea behind the founding of this nation, is that people left alone to run their own lives, pull their own weight, and learn from the consequences of their own mistakes, would create a safer and more propserous nation that people controlled by others (such as an overbearing government).
Or a slaveowner - which many of our founding fathers were.

In any event, the periodic market crashes, endemic bigotry, and the existence of various forms of individual coercion, have shown this vision to be incorrect.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:33 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoinTheNRA View Post
Well, I am a Conservative, I am a naturalized American and I love this country. Obviously it is not a perfect place but I would not want to live any other place. One thing that I find amazing about so many Liberals is the fact that so many of them do not believe in this country: I could give you a lot of specific examples but one that comes to mind- Diane Feinstein stating that if she could she would ban guns altogether- WHAT THE HELL? I was born in a country where the Second Amendment does not exist- the criminals end up with all the illegal guns and law abiding citizens can't even defend themselves. I also notice that a lot of Liberals are against our military-they may not say it out loud but deep inside, they don't believe nor support our men and women in uniform. Anyways, I could go on and on but if these people only knew how precious our rights and our Constitution is
You mean like this guy who wants to start a civil war? I doubt he's liberal.

Anonymous Calls for Civil War to Overthrow the US Government

Old 02-01-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
This is kind of funny. It's actually all the conservatives who secretly can't stand the military. That's why they need all the guns, right? In case they have to defend themselves from the military that they loooove so much.

And - who is it calling for secession? Again - Conservatives.

Check this out:
Anonymous Calls for Civil War to Overthrow the US Government

You guessed it! Conservatives on the bandwagon to overthrow the US government.

Yep -those guys sure are patriotic.

Funny. I just quoted the same nut too.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Well, I am a Conservative, I am a naturalized American and I love this country. Obviously it is not a perfect place but I would not want to live any other place. One thing that I find amazing about so many Liberals is the fact that so many of them do not believe in this country: I could give you a lot of specific examples but one that comes to mind- Diane Feinstein stating that if she could she would ban guns altogether- WHAT THE HELL? I was born in a country where the Second Amendment does not exist- the criminals end up with all the illegal guns and law abiding citizens can't even defend themselves. I also notice that a lot of Liberals are against our military-they may not say it out loud but deep inside, they don't believe nor support our men and women in uniform. Anyways, I could go on and on but if these people only knew how precious our rights and our Constitution is
What world were you born from...uranus? If you look a bit deeper you might see last nights dinner.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:49 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,683 times
Quote:
Wait. Let me get this straight. You're saying that because liberals don't want our country to continue to be Shootout at the Ok Corral, and a gun crime hellhole, that we hate the U.S.? You've GOT to be kidding me, right?

As for the Second Amendment (the MILITIA Amendment), I'm all for it! I think the framers were correct in what they said:

A WELL REGULATED MILITIA, BEING NECESSARY TO THE SECURITY OF A FREE STATE, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Notice that a sentence has 2 parts, a subject and a predicate.

The subject of this sentence (and the purpose of it) is MILITIA. "Regulated" tells you what type of militia.

Are you in a state-run militia? If you are, then you have the right to have a gun.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:50 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,836 times
Quote:
I'm liberal. I believe in the USA. Boom. Thread killer.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:55 PM

So what country were you born in again "join the nra?" Oh wait, that's just a ruse. Good one.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:55 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Yep only a liberal loons would think s school ranking worldwide of 25th is OK.
Only a liberal loon would think solyndra is justified way to spend tax money
Unions make dong business at home miserable
And Obamas only plan is to tax the rich and they do not have the money to erase the debt
i never said it was ok, so please read my post. I said it wasnt failing, If you make a 95% on a test then you did not make the highest grade possible, but you also didnt fail.

I also never argued the justification of solyndria, i argued the hypocrisy of people like you being ok with oil companies getting subsidies,loans and grants for the same thing Solyndria was doing.

I dont even know what "dong" businesses is. so if you would responded and explain that.,

As for Obama's plan, you need to visit the white house site and read his plans.

I honestly dont know if you are trolling or if you just lake the will( or intelligence) to comprehend.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't believe in american exceptionalism at all.
I've lived in several other countries, some several times.

I also don't believe that the US is the greatest country on earth.
The US is a pretty good country, but there are a lot of pretty good countries out there.

I don't believe that I ever bought into the paternalistic, flag-waving propaganda.
As i stated, i think America has a lot to work on, but i still think its the greatest nation on this planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies