Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:24 PM

15 posts, read 13,917 times

Advertisements

Well, I am a Conservative, I am a naturalized American and I love this country. Obviously it is not a perfect place but I would not want to live any other place. One thing that I find amazing about so many Liberals is the fact that so many of them do not believe in this country: I could give you a lot of specific examples but one that comes to mind- Diane Feinstein stating that if she could she would ban guns altogether- WHAT THE HELL? I was born in a country where the Second Amendment does not exist- the criminals end up with all the illegal guns and law abiding citizens can't even defend themselves. I also notice that a lot of Liberals are against our military-they may not say it out loud but deep inside, they don't believe nor support our men and women in uniform. Anyways, I could go on and on but if these people only knew how precious our rights and our Constitution is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 09:37 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
That's funny, because the people fantasizing about secession and civil war aren't the liberals.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoinTheNRA View Post
Well, I am a Conservative, I am a naturalized American and I love this country. Obviously it is not a perfect place but I would not want to live any other place. One thing that I find amazing about so many Liberals is the fact that so many of them do not believe in this country: I could give you a lot of specific examples but one that comes to mind- Diane Feinstein stating that if she could she would ban guns altogether- WHAT THE HELL? I was born in a country where the Second Amendment does not exist- the criminals end up with all the illegal guns and law abiding citizens can't even defend themselves. I also notice that a lot of Liberals are against our military-they may not say it out loud but deep inside, they don't believe nor support our men and women in uniform. Anyways, I could go on and on but if these people only knew how precious our rights and our Constitution is
It is so nice to have people who lived in other countries to talk about our rights. Liberals aren't really liberal any more. They are progressives and that is a bit further left than just liberal. I see that you aroused one of them and he told you why he was against the USA.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:49 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Oh, OP, do tell us what country you were born in.
If you became a "naturalized citizen" as an adult, I'm interested in where/how you learned English.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:54 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
1. Us disagreeing with conservatives on an issue does not mean we do not believe in this nation.

2. would you mind actually quoting Feinstein with a source, or did you just take her assault weapons to mean "all guns" ???

3. Being against war and being against military are 2 completely different things.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:55 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
What do any of those things have to do with not believing in the USA? My liberal friends who support strict gun control don't support it because they dislike the US, they support it because they think it'll make the US a better place. Maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong, but it sure as hell ain't because they want to see this country crumble.

I also think you'll find that many people are against war and militarism, but not the military itself. I think most reasonable folks know that it's not G.I. Joe who's choosing to invade countries, it's the criminal politicians whose pockets are lined with defense money. Most folks want those men and women to come back safe and sound. Many folks are just tired of needless bloodshed and militarism.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:03 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
The basic idea behind the founding of this nation, is that people left alone to run their own lives, pull their own weight, and learn from the consequences of their own mistakes, would create a safer and more propserous nation that people controlled by others (such as an overbearing government). This basic idea held that government was there, not to "help" citizens with their routine problems of life, but ONLY to protect their basic rights against infringement by others. Including infringement by government itself.

The OP is correct, in that most of today's liberals do not believe in this idea. They think government is there to help us with routine, everyday problems such as getting health care, choosing light bulbs and toilets, and taking our property if the government thinks it has a better use for it than we do.

Such a concept diametrically opposes the American ideal I described above. As such, today's liberals (including members of both major parties) indeed do not believe in the founding ideals of the United States of America; and many of them actively oppose it. Some of them aren't aware of that, but it remains so nonetheless.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:17 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The basic idea behind the founding of this nation, is that people left alone to run their own lives, pull their own weight, and learn from the consequences of their own mistakes, would create a safer and more propserous nation that people controlled by others (such as an overbearing government). This basic idea held that government was there, not to "help" citizens with their routine problems of life, but ONLY to protect their basic rights against infringement by others. Including infringement by government itself.

The OP is correct, in that most of today's liberals do not believe in this idea. They think government is there to help us with routine, everyday problems such as getting health care, choosing light bulbs and toilets, and taking our property if the government thinks it has a better use for it than we do.

Such a concept diametrically opposes the American ideal I described above. As such, today's liberals (including members of both major parties) indeed do not believe in the founding ideals of the United States of America; and many of them actively oppose it. Some of them aren't aware of that, but it remains so nonetheless.

You and the OP should share how you gained the ability to read minds.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:37 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Liberals, progressives what ever they call themselves today typically could not make it in a conservative country and that is why they want to change our country to a country where even they can make it.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:39 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Much of it has to do with Marxism. The theory was that the workers of the world would unite against the rich capitalists, but it didn't happen. When World War I came, the warring nations all saw literally millions of men volunteering to fight. The poor workers of Nation A were more willing to fight against the poor workers of Nation B out of patriotism than they were willing to join together to overthrow the rich ruling elite. This caused a shift in philosophy by some Marxist thinkers. If the people identified more with their culture than they did with their socioeconomic class, then they would attack the culture. Thus cultural marxism was born, where the idea is to identify a subgroup of society and preach victimhood to them. You preach to them that they are oppressed, and then identify the mainstream as the oppressor.

This philosophy was highly successful and ended up spreading out beyond Marxists to liberals in general. It became a very effective way of getting votes. Instead of just taking a position on various issues you go directly to the voter and say "you are a victim, but vote for me and I will champion your cause against the people victimizing you". It stirs people up in a way that dry discussions of constitutional issues, economics, and foreign policy don't. Once some time had passed and people who held to this philosophy began to get into news media, entertainment, and education then whole generations of Americans were raised with Cultural Marxist ideas because another feature of it is teaching and telling people what to think rather than how to think for themselves. Most of the liberals I've encountered on this very forum are Cultural Marxists.

So a consequence of all this is a warping of how one sees the nation. They don't see America as a bastion of liberty, as a supporter of innovation and entrepreneurship, as a land of opportunity, as the major source of scientific progress, as saving the world from fascist domination, etc. Instead they focus on America being a land of racism and sexism.

Of course, liberals themselves will vehemently deny all of this. But you can just look up cultural marxism, critical theory, and the Frankfurt School on the web and it's all there. It's unfortunate that some wacko groups have seized on the theories and given liberals a convenient way to demonize them. Because they are a legitimate way to explore why a large amount of the citizens in the most free country on Earth use their guaranteed rights to attack it as being systematically oppressive. Which, as your post indicates, is incomprehensible on its face without some sort of deeper understanding as to how this situation came about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies