Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 01:29 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Obama's Government wants an open border & no limit on who comes here thats why him & the Democrats scream we are an nation of immigrants.
And are you of American Indian heritage?

If not, then like most people in this country, you are a product of immigration.

Hint: this nation was populated and built by people who EMIGRATED from Europe and Africa. Not sure if you knew that.

Also, note that the process to get into this country is much longer and tougher than it was before 9-11 and deportations are at a record high under this administration. Thanks for playing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 01:30 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Oh, bs.

This nation has had immigrants and immigration non-stop since it was founded, and it never once stopped.

The ONLY people who haven't been immigrants, were First Nation people.

As to the fact that they traveled, SO DID YOUR ANCESTORS, since evolution has proven that all of us originated in Africa. However, unless you wish to get into a discussion of evolutionary migrations, and how your ancestors MIGRATED from AFRICA to EUROPE 1,800,000 years ago, and Asians migrated across the Bering Straits to this land 38,000 years ago, I'd stick to something a little more reasonable in time.

As it is, First Nation people, who migrated here approximately 38,000 years ago were the first people to inhabit this land. Your people were not the first. You were immigrants to a land that was already populated. Your people were spongers/freeloaders here.
Your post was so good, until you added the freeloader part. Most immigrants come to a new country to escape bad conditions in their home country, for the opportunity to work hard and prosper. (you know that).

Old 01-31-2013, 01:32 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Yes. But there's a difference between illegal and legal immigration. Most Americans today are native-born, but recently the government is allowing invaders to invade.
I wouldn't call them invaders since many of them are working in our agricultural fields, cleaning our homes, babysitting our kids. They are working, usually quite hard.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:33 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Your post was so good, until you added the freeloader part. Most immigrants come to a new country to escape bad conditions in their home country, for the opportunity to work hard and prosper. (you know that).
Hi ellemint. Thank you.

I was trying to make a point to Old Glory, who apparently thinks immigrants are spongers and freeloaders because he/she was here "first," when that is a falsehood. Only the First Nation people have an original claim to this land we call the U.S.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:33 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Here's a fine map of migrations, all of which originated in AFRICA:

Google Image Result for http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0603/feature2/images/mp_full.2.jpg
By their logic that "natural born citizens" require both parents to be American citizens, but everyone's ancestors originated in Kenya, then by recursion there are NO American citizens, we are ALL Kenyans!!!

THE BIRTHERS WERE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-31-2013, 01:35 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The so-called native American indians were immigrants also unless you think they sprouted up out of the ground like corn. They migrated across the Bering Strait. How many times does this have to be repeated?
Well, you made the comment about the colonists that 200 years ago is a long time and doesn't count now. The Native American's have been here a few thousand years. So by your own logic (), it's a moot point.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:36 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
The populatin is 0.9% native American, so yes we are a nation of immigrants. The other 99.1% of the population didn't appear out of nowhere.
Not Native American but my family was here before there was a United States of America. I guess the same would go for Mexicans who woke up in the USA one morning.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:40 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Obama's Government wants an open border & no limit on who comes here thats why him & the Democrats scream we are an nation of immigrants.
I think you sould change your screen name, from "All American NYC" to "Anti-American NYC." I say that because of the many anti-American, anti-American values statements you post here at C-D. You sound so simiar to comments offered from the 'American Taliban'.

That we are a 'nation of immigrants' seems clear, to people who can read, write and process what they hear and write. To not recognize that is I suppose the result of gross ignorance.

I think Ronald Reagan expressed sentiments regarding immigration back in 1987 which I hear from the bipartisan group of U.S. Senators this week, and also from the President of the United States:

Quote:
Our nation is a nation of immigrants. More than any other country, our strength comes from our own immigrant heritage and our capacity to welcome those from other lands. No free and prosperous nation can by itself accommodate all those who seek
Ronald Reagan: Statement on United States Immigration and Refugee Policy

Newt Gingrich as said something similar:

Quote:
America also is a land of immigrants, and our lives, economy, and history have been enriched by immigration.
And probably all of the U.S. Presidents in my lifetime of over 60 years have described our nation similarly.

I don't think an American would say the things you say.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:49 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
The so-called native American indians were immigrants also unless you think they sprouted up out of the ground like corn. They migrated across the Bering Strait. How many times does this have to be repeated?

when they arrived there was no state, so technically they were not immigrants. And unlike OP, they have no real cultural connection to where they came from - in fact when columbus arived the Indians hadnt even heard of Siberia, as far as I know. So its REALLY not the same thing.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:53 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
No, we are either one or the other. When this nation was originally founded we were a nation of immigrants. Now we are a nation of Americans. That our ancestors came here as immigrants is irrelevant to what we are today. Citizens born here are not immigrants by any stretch of the imagination.

naturalized citizens are BOTH immigrants and citizens. Native born citizens (like myself) still honor our immigrant forebears, and (sometimes) our distinctive cultural heritage.

When we say we are a nation of immigrants, its a tribute to the layers of culture, each generation of immigrants brought, and the contributions they made. Its not a literal belief that the descendants of immigrants ARE immigrants.

The author of the book "nation of immigrants" was John F Kennedy, who was born in Brookline, Mass. He knew he was native born, but he had something to say about the nations character. You seem to be too literal minded about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies