Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 12:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The law of averages tells this story.

Who comes to the USA illegally to work? Poor Mexicans, El Salvadorians, etc.

Who gets paid under the table to work because they can't pass an E-Verify or other background check? Poor Mexicans, El Salvadorians, etc.

By extrapolation, we can logically assume that 11 million illegal immigrants are in fact being paid under the table and those NOT paying income taxes.

Not so hard to understand in my opinion.
I saw how it worked in construction about 4 years ago.
Builder has foreman as employee. Gives foreman a pot of money to "hire contractors" do to the work.
No checks, no payroll. Cash only basis for day workers.
When inspector showed up only foreman was there..everyone else had "gone to lunch".

Electricians/plumbers/ etc though is another story as they have to be licensed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 12:51 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,084,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I saw how it worked in construction about 4 years ago.
Builder has foreman as employee. Gives foreman a pot of money to "hire contractors" do to the work.
No checks, no payroll. Cash only basis for day workers.

Electricians/plumbers/ etc though is another story as they have to be licensed.
Yep, and it's happening everywhere across the country. My neighbor hires a Mexican to do all of his labor. It doesn't matter what it is, it's always a Mexican. I'm pretty sure he grabs him from the Home Depot parking lot everytime.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:51 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,239,242 times
Quote:
The law of averages tells this story.

Who comes to the USA illegally to work? Poor Mexicans, El Salvadorians, etc. Not rich Mexicans, El Salvadorians, etc.

Who gets paid under the table to work because they can't pass an E-Verify or other background check? Poor Mexicans, El Salvadorians, etc. Not rich Mexicans El Salvadorians, etc.

By extrapolation, we can logically assume that 11 million illegal immigrants are in fact being paid under the table and those NOT paying income taxes.

Not so hard to understand in my opinion.
I never said illegal immigrants are paying taxes, they may or may not, but last I heard they were for the most part. Is your claim is that only illegal immigrants send money to other countries?

Old 01-31-2013, 12:52 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,084,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I never said illegal immigrants are paying taxes, they may or may not, but last I heard they were for the most part. Is your claim is that only illegal immigrants send money to other countries?
Sorry, your gotcha moment just won't work. You can spew this or that about citizens sending money all day long.....the fact of the matter is that it's the remittances sent by ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS that is the issue here. Why do you think immigration reform is predicated on paying "back taxes?" It's because they don't pay any!

Old 01-31-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Sorry, your gotcha moment just won't work. You can spew this or that about citizens sending money all day long.....the fact of the matter is that it's the remittances sent by ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS that is the issue here. Why do you think immigration reform is predicated on paying "back taxes?" It's because they don't pay any!
Ok well even if we assume all Mexicans are illegal and all illegals do not pay taxes you still have to deal with the fact that out of $120B only $23B is sent to Mexico. Neither this thread nor the article has anything to to with illegal immigrants; this thread is about migrants sending money to another country.

Illegal Immigrants Paid More Taxes Than Romney in 2010
Nation & World | Illegal immigrants pay Social Security tax, won't benefit | Seattle Times Newspaper
Many illegal immigrants pay up at tax time - USATODAY.com

Old 01-31-2013, 01:11 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,651,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Why should it, the clearing company pays taxes on their profits? Once I earn my money it is mine to do whatever I want with. I can invest it in Pepsi or go to the mall and spend it or send it to my parents.
We are taxed on just about everything else. Its never yours in this country.
Everything is just about taxed.

If the government needed a new revenue source they should have taxed remittances instead of our pay checks.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:15 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,927,961 times
Here is a tip...when you see that L before a number...that means pound, as in British money?

Why would anyone run a story from England on what migrants are sending home then bash Obama?

Migrant can mean a legal worker.

How is Obama responsible for migrant workers in the UK?

Old 01-31-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Here is a tip...when you see that L before a number...that means pound, as in British money?

Why would anyone run a story from England on what migrants are sending home then bash Obama?

I was wondering the same thing.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
We are taxed on just about everything else. Its never yours in this country.
Everything is just about taxed.

If the government needed a new revenue source they should have taxed remittances instead of our pay checks.
The government can't tell me how to spend my discretionary income, that is mine... Why should the gov tax remittances? That makes as much sense as taxing wealth.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post

Guess you didn't bother clicking the link otherwise you would have seen that this is a global number for all countries with a map of the money shown in USD.

You think our MSM would print stories like that ?
We're sympathetic to our "undocumented citizens" who can do no wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies