Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the idea of whites becoming a Minority in America?
I don't want it to have a negative affect on America 5 8.62%
As long as the core principals of America is believe in we might be ok. 9 15.52%
Do you think it can be stopped? 7 12.07%
I think it will result in a less free, less prosperous nation 9 15.52%
I think it will result in a failing state like South Africa 8 13.79%
I think It will end in conflict 8 13.79%
I think it will end the American Culture as we have know it 14 24.14%
Other, explain 10 17.24%
Skin color does not matter culture and ideology does. 23 39.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 04:24 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The people who are working. What kind of question is that?
It was a rhetorical question, I should have specified!

Old 02-24-2013, 04:26 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,105,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about. Cultures CHANGE. Cultures are fluid and not static. In this country and all others, culture has changed, is changing, will change, and will continue to change. The only cultures that don't change are those that are dying, or have died.

Culture Change: Processes of Change
He is referring to changes caused by high levels of illegal immigration from Mexico.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:06 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I agree. I don't give a rat's behind what skin color future Americans might have. It is our culture and language that is important to me. Illegal immigration and encouragement not to assimilate to them is what I have a problem with. Why isn't our country allowed to retain its national identity and some even wish to change it for some reason. There are also some whojust can't wait till every white skinned, blue-eyed blonde person is irradicated from our soil also and that is just plain racist on their part.
I wouldn't say it is racist. Well, actually it is racist. But I wouldn't say it is motivated by racism. I think it's the whole "demographics are in our favor!" thing that you saw from liberals following the last election. Same as the conservatives who are unhappy about a white minority because of multiculturalism. If the hispanics assimilated into American culture, they wouldn't care if whites became a minority. So in both cases the effect ends up forming a judgement that involves race, but it isn't motivated by liking or disliking that race.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:09 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about. Cultures CHANGE. Cultures are fluid and not static. In this country and all others, culture has changed, is changing, will change, and will continue to change. The only cultures that don't change are those that are dying, or have died.

Culture Change: Processes of Change
Don't conflate a culture naturally evolving on its own with a culture being subsumed by another.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:20 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,781,656 times
You gotta blame the global capitalist, not the people... this is a issue of money, not culture nor class.

Increase the playing field so more can play into the system.

I don't really care what color people are as long as they aren't racist personally.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:43 PM

12 posts, read 54,055 times
It will look exactly like Brazil

Old 02-24-2013, 05:43 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
He is referring to changes caused by high levels of illegal immigration from Mexico.
Change can't be detained, though throughout history we've seen that right wingers fight change. It's ultimately a losing battle.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:32 PM

72,959 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane24 View Post
It will look exactly like Brazil
Can you explain this specifically?

Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,247 times
People will be swarthier on average, whoopidy-do. If you judge yourself or others based on skin color, then you have some serious social intelligence issues. Successive generations of immigrants almost always trend towards assimilation into "mainstream" culture. They still might retain cultural elements of their countries of origin like religion or keeping extended family networks/family life; but they wouldn't be the first immigrant groups to do so.

No other society on this planet is as dynamic as the USA's, it's one of this countries key strengths. Some people are really getting worked up over nothing, lol.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:21 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,387,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The US bought the Louisiana Purchase from France and our PNW came from England, NOT Spain.
That would be because as Harrier correctly points out Spain sold the territory back to France in the treaty of San Ildefanso of 1800. This undid the 1762 Treaty of Fontainebleau. It is true the Oregon territory was not part of this, but I never mentioned that and it doesn't change the fact that for quite some time Spain had not only Florida but all the land between New Orleans and the San Gabriel valley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
That poster didn't say anything about the Oregon territory.

It is true that the Treaty of San Ildefonso is often overlooked.

Treaty of Ildefonso 1800

Spain did hold that vast area(Louisiana Territory) for nearly 40 years - from the end of the Seven Year's War until they signed the ToSI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.