Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the idea of whites becoming a Minority in America?
I don't want it to have a negative affect on America 5 8.62%
As long as the core principals of America is believe in we might be ok. 9 15.52%
Do you think it can be stopped? 7 12.07%
I think it will result in a less free, less prosperous nation 9 15.52%
I think it will result in a failing state like South Africa 8 13.79%
I think It will end in conflict 8 13.79%
I think it will end the American Culture as we have know it 14 24.14%
Other, explain 10 17.24%
Skin color does not matter culture and ideology does. 23 39.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:33 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Romney is not, and never will be considered Hispanic. Now, his father on the other hand, will never be considered Hispanic either, but yes he is a latino. Romney is sort of a latino.

The last part of the sentence is true. Univisión's Jorge Ramos isn't a brown Mayan or Aztec, but he is Mexican
All "hispanic" means is that you had some ancestor that once lived in a Latin American nation. Romney is as hispanic as Vicente Fox and Carlos Slim -- they are not 100% Aztec and Spanish either. Hispanic is not a race, it's not a language, it's not a culture. It only means you had at least one ancestor that lived in Central or South America not counting Brazil at some time in history.

Plenty of blond blue eyed Mexicans such as Mennonites and others. Many people in Argentina are not Aztec or from Spain and they are certainly considered hispanic, they may be German-Italian only ancestry.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:35 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
it looks like a whole lota angry ignorant violent criminally inclined unproductive idol people looking around for someone to feed them and not finding any.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:01 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; Mitt's family STILL living IN Colonia Lebaron, Mexico WOULD be "Hispanic" IMHO. Even tho they're mostly "white" with NO Indian or Spanish blood.
Wrong. Hispanic is an ancestral term, not a geographical one. You cannot be Hispanic and be of wholly British blood, for example. Just like if you are a Pakistani immigrant to the UK you can be British, but you cannot be English, Scottish, Welsh, or Irish or Anglo-Saxon or whatever. Romney's dad is not Hispanic, but he is latino. Latino is purely a geographical reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
All "hispanic" means is that you had some ancestor that once lived in a Latin American nation. Romney is as hispanic as Vicente Fox and Carlos Slim -- they are not 100% Aztec and Spanish either. Hispanic is not a race, it's not a language, it's not a culture. It only means you had at least one ancestor that lived in Central or South America not counting Brazil at some time in history.

Plenty of blond blue eyed Mexicans such as Mennonites and others. Many people in Argentina are not Aztec or from Spain and they are certainly considered hispanic, they may be German-Italian only ancestry.
No. Hispanic means you claim ancestral ties to Spain at same point in your lineage. The Romneys do not claim any ancestry to Spain, whereas I do. You and Packard Fan are confusing the terms Hispanic and Latino together, they do not mean the same thing. I see this from Americans all the time, Hispanic, Latino, and Spanish do not mean the same thing even though I always hear these words being used interchangeably, albeit incorrectly. Think about it this way. Would you consider an Afrikaner couple who emigrated here, naturalized, and had kids in this country, African-American? Of course not, most people wouldn't, and almost no blacks would. Same situation.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Wrong. Hispanic is an ancestral term, not a geographical one. You cannot be Hispanic and be of wholly British blood, for example. Just like if you are a Pakistani immigrant to the UK you can be British, but you cannot be English, Scottish, Welsh, or Irish or Anglo-Saxon or whatever. Romney's dad is not Hispanic, but he is latino. Latino is purely a geographical reference.

No. Hispanic means you claim ancestral ties to Spain at same point in your lineage. The Romneys do not claim any ancestry to Spain, whereas I do. You and Packard Fan are confusing the terms Hispanic and Latino together, they do not mean the same thing. I see this from Americans all the time, Hispanic, Latino, and Spanish do not mean the same thing even though I always hear these words being used interchangeably, albeit incorrectly. Think about it this way. Would you consider an Afrikaner couple who emigrated here, naturalized, and had kids in this country, African-American? Of course not, most people wouldn't, and almost no blacks would. Same situation.
No -- because a 100% Mayan Indian would also be considered a hispanic. Hispanic does not mean you have to have ancestors from Spain, certainly Mexican Indians are hispanics, as well as any Mexican mestiso whether or not they had any Spanish blood.

These are simply words that change meanings with whoever is using them. In fact my Mexican neighbor never viewed himself as a hispanic until he lived in the USA for a few years. Prior to that he was just a Mexican, or Zacatecan. He has very little European blood if any but is now a hispanic but not a chicano. He says chicanos are Mexicans that are born in the USA.

Also not too many people who came directly from Spain really consider themselves to be hispanics or latinos. One woman I worked with said she is a European or Spanish but she does not think of herself as a hispanic or latina. She was blonde and fair skinned, didn't look any different than someone from France or Germany might look.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:02 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Tough. Deal with it. Think Caucasians don't deal with it as well? I aced the USPS general test for employment years ago and likely was passed over because of my ethnicity. Not hard to believe since 25% of the US Gov's USPS workforce is black American, and they are only about 12 percent of the overall population.

This stuff goes on all over the country in both private and public situations - employment, educational, and other institutions.
Yes.....I'm sure you were passed over because of your ethnicity. Quit bellyaching and deal with it.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:15 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,894,477 times
Quote:

Uh; going by YOUR rules: a 100 percent Aztec Indian from Mexico is NOT a "Hispanic". But under US gov't rules; that Indian IS 1. Same goes for anybody from LatAm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latino

"The AP Stylebook also distinguishes between the terms Hispanic and Latino. The Stylebook limits the term "Hispanic" to persons "from - or whose ancestors were from - a Spanish-speaking land or culture."[24][25] It provides a more expansive definition, however, of the term "Latino." The Stylebook definition of Latino includes not only persons of Spanish-speaking ancestry, but also more generally includes persons "from -- or whose ancestors were from -- . . . Latin America." [26] The Stylebook specifically lists "Brazilian" as an example of a group which can be considered Latino.[26]"

Tell a "brown" Chicano that he ain't "Hispanic".

Old 03-19-2013, 08:29 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg7854 View Post
It's going to be a long time before white people ever become a minority because Latinos are also considered white. If anything, I imagine once all the races start mixing we'll start looking more like Mediterranean types.
:::raising hand::: I'm a Hispanic white.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg7854 View Post
It's going to be a long time before white people ever become a minority because Latinos are also considered white. If anything, I imagine once all the races start mixing we'll start looking more like Mediterranean types.
No....Latinos are not considered white. Latinos do not have a racial category; it is a cultural and ethnic category that includes people of all races and/or combined races. Some - a few -Latinos are white. Others are black, Asian, Native, and other.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
No....Latinos are not considered white. Latinos do not have a racial category; it is a cultural and ethnic category that includes people of all races and/or combined races. Some - a few -Latinos are white. Others are black, Asian, Native, and other.
So, one can be blonde and blue-eyed Latino, and one is not white? Okay! (Now I've heard it all).

Old 03-19-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
So, one can be blonde and blue-eyed Latino, and one is not white? Okay! (Now I've heard it all).
Do you read? I said that some Latinos are white. I also said that not all Latinos are white. I have family members who look like West Africans, and they are as Latino as anyone else.

Again....do you read?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.