Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 07:21 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times

Advertisements

With the recent Applebee's brouhaha (Pastor didn't want to pay waitress 18% gratuity because she pays God only 10%. Waitress ends up being fired), I am interested to know your thoughts on the whole system of tipping in the United States. As most people know, waitstaff at restaurants are paid far below minimum wage, with the expectation that tips will make up the difference. I would MUCH prefer that the waitstaff (and cooks, bus staff, and anyone else tips are shared with) be paid a reasonable amount, and that tips be reserved for TRULY exceptional service. (yes, I realize the menu prices would increase. Fine by me.)

In my ideal world, tips would be a rarity. They would not be given for doing one's expected job duties. The whole system makes no sense to me. Who determined that hair dressers and massage therapists, for example, are to be paid tips for their services (services which already cost a lot!) but the grocery check out clerk and the trash collector, for example (who work very hard and aren't getting wealthy) are not to be tipped? Really, how were the "rules" made?

And is it just me, or does it seem like more and more workers are expecting tips now than in the past. For decades, if I ordered a major appliance or furniture, and paid $100 or more delivery fee, it never even crossed my mind that I should pay a tip to the delivery person. But recently it has been brought to my attention that I should. Sorry, I didn't know! What about the cable guy if he comes out to check on something? How about the guy who fertilizes and weed-treats my lawn? Do some people tip them? Why or why not?

Last week I had new flooring installed. When the guy finished, it seemed like he kept trying to think of things to say rather than just leaving. I was pretty sure he was stalling so that I would pay him a tip. But the fact is I am not happy with the floor (in fact I have been told it will all be ripped out and replaced), so why would I tip him? And frankly, since his labor charge was $1400 for a job that took 2 men about 15 hours, why should additional tip be paid at all???

I really wish tips were reserved for those moments when I am so incredibly touched by a worker's "above and beyond" service, that I feel I MUST reward with an additional gift. But when it is everyday, common, part of their pay ---- just charge me a higher amount and leave the meaningless "tip" out of it.

(BTW, I am not a cheapskate. I tend to pay 20-25% tip at restaurants because I know waitstaff don't earn much).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 07:30 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
It should be done away with. Other countries exist without the tipping system just fine. All workers should make at least minimum wage in this country without needing the customers to subsidize the employer's business.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:33 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
With the recent Applebee's brouhaha (Pastor didn't want to pay waitress 18% gratuity because she pays God only 10%. Waitress ends up being fired), I am interested to know your thoughts on the whole system of tipping in the United States. As most people know, waitstaff at restaurants are paid far below minimum wage, with the expectation that tips will make up the difference. I would MUCH prefer that the waitstaff (and cooks, bus staff, and anyone else tips are shared with) be paid a reasonable amount, and that tips be reserved for TRULY exceptional service. (yes, I realize the menu prices would increase. Fine by me.)

In my ideal world, tips would be a rarity. They would not be given for doing one's expected job duties. The whole system makes no sense to me. Who determined that hair dressers and massage therapists, for example, are to be paid tips for their services (services which already cost a lot!) but the grocery check out clerk and the trash collector, for example (who work very hard and aren't getting wealthy) are not to be tipped? Really, how were the "rules" made?

And is it just me, or does it seem like more and more workers are expecting tips now than in the past. For decades, if I ordered a major appliance or furniture, and paid $100 or more delivery fee, it never even crossed my mind that I should pay a tip to the delivery person. But recently it has been brought to my attention that I should. Sorry, I didn't know! What about the cable guy if he comes out to check on something? How about the guy who fertilizes and weed-treats my lawn? Do some people tip them? Why or why not?

Last week I had new flooring installed. When the guy finished, it seemed like he kept trying to think of things to say rather than just leaving. I was pretty sure he was stalling so that I would pay him a tip. But the fact is I am not happy with the floor (in fact I have been told it will all be ripped out and replaced), so why would I tip him? And frankly, since his labor charge was $1400 for a job that took 2 men about 15 hours, why should additional tip be paid at all???

I really wish tips were reserved for those moments when I am so incredibly touched by a worker's "above and beyond" service, that I feel I MUST reward with an additional gift. But when it is everyday, common, part of their pay ---- just charge me a higher amount and leave the meaningless "tip" out of it.

(BTW, I am not a cheapskate. I tend to pay 20-25% tip at restaurants because I know waitstaff don't earn much).
You're generous.
I tip on the premise of service rendered. If we {spouse and I} go dining, or the car wash, or the car service department, if we're served well and shown respect, yes, I'd give 15-20%, but if the service is lousy, then 10 is fine. We don't stiff anyone, no matter what.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:38 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Yes, it should be done away with as a substitute for wages.
Tipping originally was a bribe....To Insure Promptness.
A gratuity can be given anytime by anybody if they feel an original charge is not enough for whatever one received but that honestly would not be a usual thing if people are truely doing the job they were hired to do.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:39 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
You're generous.
I tip on the premise of service rendered. If we {spouse and I} go dining, or the car wash, or the car service department, if we're served well and shown respect, yes, I'd give 15-20%, but if the service is lousy, then 10 is fine. We don't stiff anyone, no matter what.
Well yes, the service is considered in my case. If we had a bad server, we wouldn't tip our usual 20-25%. But any server can be having a bad day, and knowing that the tips are generally shared with other workers at the restaurant, we still tip at least 15%.

The car service department??? Really? There's another one I didn't know. Maybe I should tip everyone I encounter all day long to make sure I'm not missing anyone! LOL!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:40 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
There's nothing wrong with tipping in general. But a society built around the expectation of a tip causes some problems.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:45 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Just to play devil's advocate, would you rather have a system where each meal costs 25% more and you don't have to tip, or a system where the meal costs what it does today and you have the option to tip lower than that 25% increase?

Old 02-01-2013, 07:47 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Just to play devil's advocate, would you rather have a system where each meal costs 25% more and you don't have to tip, or a system where the meal costs what it does today and you have the option to tip lower than that 25% increase?
I would rather see a system where a restaurant charges the same as it does for food and places a required service charge on the bill for the service. Keep it transparent.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
having family members who in our have depended on tips in the past or who have been restaurant managers, I do not want to see the tradition changed at all. First of all, the wait staff does not pay income tax on the full amount of their tips, whether they are supposed to or not. So, if they are decent servers they are making a lot more with todays system. We also can control how much we tip by the service: I don't want to pay extra for my meal, which, of course would happen and maybe get poor service. As for who we tip, I do agree, it is getting out of hand. Do I tip the delivery guy? No, do I tip my hair dresser? Yes, do I tip at Mickey D's?No, well I don't go there, but you know what I mean. if I order my own food and have to pick it up, I do not see a reason for a tip...

In many countries tipping isn't expected or even considered to be in good taste: These same companies add a 10 to 15% service charge to everything...Which way is best?

Nita

Old 02-01-2013, 07:49 AM

571 posts, read 790,963 times
If tipping is eliminated, restaurant owners will have to charge more for food now that they've tripled/quadrupled server's salaries. The diner will see no discount overall and "doing a good job" becomes deinsentivized for the server. As I said in the other thread, I wait tables and there's no way I'd do it for minimum wage or even $10-$12 an hour, I could get a job that pays that that is way less stressful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies