Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Wouldn't you have to admit you are the exception and not the rule? I too am female and own a gun, but I really hope I never have to use it. I also have a husband that I count on to protect the both of us.
I think all of us (at least us sane ones anyway) hope we never have to use it. I too have a husband who would protect us. But I'm betting that there are a lot of us like me, who sometimes has to be alone due to a husband's work schedule. And it's good to be prepared for what if's... if an intruder were to break into my home, first he'd set off the alarm system which automatically calls 911, then he'd have to get by my furr-children, and by some chance he hurt my furr-kids, he'd unleash a furry and a bat-crap crazy little women that I guarantee he wouldn't want to see standing at the top of the stairs holding the 10. gauge. It's not that we want to shoot but at least we're prepared and have a plan in place...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 01:07 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
.........I think you'd be surprised at how many men are BUYING guns for their wives for Valentines Day, their birthdays and Christmas. Especially since 2008.
The first Valentines present I bought my wife, (before we were married), was a concealable handgun and concealed carry handgun training. She decided that anyone that cared for her safety that much truly loved her!

Old 02-01-2013, 01:09 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,515,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I think all of us (at least us sane ones anyway) hope we never have to use it. I too have a husband who would protect us. But I'm betting that there are a lot of us like me, who sometimes has to be alone due to a husband's work schedule. And it's good to be prepared for what if's... if an intruder were to break into my home, first he'd set off the alarm system which automatically calls 911, then he'd have to get by my furr-children, and by some chance he hurt my furr-kids, he'd unleash a furry and a bat-crap crazy little women that I guarantee he wouldn't want to see standing at the top of the stairs holding the 10. gauge. It's not that we want to shoot but at least we're prepared and have a plan in place...

First I agree with your post and enjoyed reading it. The only thing I want to mention is that where I live- we just had an article in the paper that said an intruder killed the family dog - a big boxer. Strange how we read just about everyday that an intruder has killed an old woman or man yet my city is all riled over this man killing the family dog - everyone is shouting for him to be brought to justice, "Let's string him up by his toes and horse whip him to death!"

Therefore, keep your furr-babies safe, don't assume the jerk won't kill them.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
No chit! Fix'n to get an ejection burn if transitioning to a weapon that ejects back and down. Also controlling barrel rise gets tougher the higher your elbow.

Bringing that front sight back onto target takes a millisecond longer for every inch that elbow is up there where it doesn't belong but hey; she's out there practicing.
Our four boys could hardly keep the magazines loaded fast enough.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:15 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Most modern women know that they need to protect themselves as many young women stay single for longer periods of their lifetime and live on their own as well. Having said that I don't think that most women or even men need to own guns for self-defense if one lives in a large urban area.
" I don't think that most women or even men need to own guns for self-defense if one lives in a large urban area."

That may be because the national media does NOT report the incidences which happens a whole lot more then you are aware of.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Most modern women know that they need to protect themselves as many young women stay single for longer periods of their lifetime and live on their own as well. Having said that I don't think that most women or even men need to own guns for self-defense if one lives in a large urban area.
NRA-ILA | Armed Citizen

Old 02-01-2013, 01:19 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Well, for one thing most people don't want to own guns.

Analysis: Fewer U.S. gun owners own more guns - CNN.com

For another, in my observation women are less interested than men in hunting or other recreational activities in which guns are used.

Finally, women are less likely than men to be involved in criminal activity involving guns, and probably less likely to want to use guns for self-defense.

What's your point?

Old 02-01-2013, 01:20 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
This discussion also assumes that women only want guns for self-defense. I'd be curious how many of us here also enjoy shooting for fun? I love spending a day shooting sporting clays with hubby. Turkey shoots are fun, and I have even on occasion went deer and goose hunting, although admittedly not my favorite of activities. What you say ladies? Do you like shooting?

Old 02-01-2013, 01:22 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Hmmm. I'm a big advocate of sex for pleasure, but I agree, guns for self-protection.... non-starter. I'd rather the gun types just admit they like the power of having killing technology at their beck and call. Power that they wield, but ultimately will never use. Like the U.S. nuclear arsenal. NRA propaganda aside, there really is no argument. Guns do not feature heavily as defensive weapons.

One main reason that I am against anymore proliferation of concealed carry is that it is fast becoming apparent that guns are weak as defensive weapons and thus more and more jurisdictions are allowing their... favored citizens the option of using offensive use of firepower on presumed threats rather than obvious threats. Racial minorities do not have equal access to firearms and will be disproportionately victimized by the fear driven, trigger happy, contingent of 2nd Amendment devotee's.

H
Why the hell isn't the NRA standing behind Marisa Alexander? Or any Black gun-owners for that matter? The Black Panther Party, Malcolm X, etc. The Black Panthers in particular were VERY pro-gun. They were a well-armed and legally formed militia. They didn't go around killing innocent White people, they were nothing like the Klan contrary to popular beliefe. The BP were no diffirent then alot of these right-wing, legal, militias of today.

They were carrying guns in self-defense of a police system that gave African-Americans hell in the 60's and 70's. But even the most PRO-Gun, White-American didn't like the look of that. So the FED Gov't put a stop to that REALLY quick. I'm as pro-gun as everyone else, but this nation has been very ANTI-Black people owning guns. And BOTH parties(Dem and Rep.) haven't helped the issue.

Dems in particular and Black communitu leaders want to take the guns out of Black communities completely, but I don't think it's good to take things away from the community, because certain people in that community can't behave. These are adults, not children. I think guns should be allowed in the Black community, I think it's the mentality that should change. Blacks should be able to own guns, without having the urge to kill each other.

It's almost like Black Community leaders, and Democrats are sending the message "Well, since we Blacks are savages, we can't handle gun-ownership, we're too small-minded to comprehend owning a gun without wanting to kill each other, so take them out of our community, we can't handle this type of freedom." We should own guns, and amend our mentality instead amending the laws.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Well, for one thing most people don't want to own guns.

Analysis: Fewer U.S. gun owners own more guns - CNN.com

For another, in my observation women are less interested than men in hunting or other recreational activities in which guns are used.

Finally, women are less likely than men to be involved in criminal activity involving guns, and probably less likely to want to use guns for self-defense.

What's your point?
US guns sales soar after Barack Obama's re-election - Telegraph

Gun sales explode as election looms | Fox News

Gun Sales Surge: An Obama Bounce?

Guns by the Numbers: Analyzing Rising Gun Sales? - Guns & Ammo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies