Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 09:15 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I think you must be having a lapse in reading. He was explaining that the SECOND AMENDMENT has nothing to do with individual ownership, but you went off on a tangent he never even mentioned, and I am at a loss as to where in his post you pulled that.

Further, he's correct. The Second Amendment is the MILITIA amendment, not the individual gun ownership amendment. The SUBJECT of the SECOND AMENDMENT is the word MILITIA. In case you have forgotten it, here it is:

A WELL REGULATED MILITIA, BEING NECESSARY TO THE SECURITY OF A FREE STATE, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

If you understand at least basic English, and you understand basic grammar and syntax, then you will be able to identify the SUBJECT of this sentence which comprises the Militia Amendment.

For all those who have no clue what an American Militia is, here you go:

Militia Acts of 1792 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Militia Act of 1903 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"I am at a loss". That id the FIRST true thing I have read from you.

The discussion is about women owning and using guns, the Poster I responded to said, personal protection is NOT part of the 2nd Amendment.

If you can't understand the rest, that is your problem.

I am not going to wast much time with your distorted beliefs of the meaning of the 2nd Amendment.

The Supreme Court, you know who they are, don't you?, has ruled you and the other poster are wrong.

You might want to read up on what the Founding Fathers ACTUALLY said about guns.

"No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." (Thomas Jefferson, Proposal Virginia Constitution, 1 T. Jefferson Papers, 334,[C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950])"

(I think HE just might know a little about what the documents mean.)

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)"

"the ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone," (James Madison, author of the Bill of Rights, in Federalist Paper #46".

( He IS considered "The Father of the Constitution". He just might know a little about it means)

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)"

"A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves...and include all men capable of bearing arms." (Richard Henry Lee, Additional Letters from the Federal Farmer (1788) at 169)

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

You can read more here but, i doubt you will.
Gun Related Quotes from the Founding Fathers

You see I base my opinions on they actually said and did in their lives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 09:22 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
So, explain to me how I'm paranoid for owning and carrying a firearm when having a firearm has kept me from being seriously beaten and/or killed on one occasion and stabbed on another occasion. While it is true that the vast majority of people will not be the victim of a violent crime in their lifetimes, there is no magic 8 ball that tells you who the victims will be. In my case, I'm 6'2", roughly 200 pounds, and in pretty good physical condition for someone who has seen the backside of 40. I'm not someone that the average person would think of as a likely victim. That didn't keep the 3 idiots who were armed with clubs and crowbars from attempting to assault and rob me, nor did it keep the 1 idiot who was armed with a knife from attempting to do the same. What did keep them from attempting to assault me was the fact that I was carrying a firearm which I promptly removed from its holster and (while pointing it in the general direction of their lower torso) explained that I was willing to use.

Again, not having a firearm would have resulted in my being at the least seriously injured. Could you please explain to me once again how I am paranoid?

Being prepared for something to happen does not equal being paranoid. I don't expect to be in a car accident, yet I wear my seat belt just in case. I don't expect that my house will catch on fire, but I make sure my smoke detectors and fire extinguisher are in working order. I don't expect to be the intended victim of a violent crime, but I make sure that if I am I have a better than average chance of making sure that the intention does not become reality.
I didn't say you are paranoid. I said that the vast majority of Americans do not need to carry guns. Some do, because of their line of work.

Out of curiosity, where were you at and what were doing when three people with clubs (were these the Geico guys?) and crowbars came after you? The only people in my life who run into situations like this who are not cops, repo men, bouncers and so on, are people who run with the wrong crowd or provoke others into violence. They don't need guns, they need to alter their behavior and with whom they associate.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:24 AM

23,848 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
Know this: ... if you need a gun to be free, you will never be free.
Gosh, that's so profound.

Here's one from Thomas Jefferson:

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."

Seems we have a conflict of opinions here.

Hmm. Wendell Phillips or Thomas Jefferson... Wendell or Jefferson... It's a tough choice, but I think I'm going to have to agree with Jefferson on this one. Sorry, Wendell.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:25 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,717 times
No, we are paranoid. It is the only logical explanation for this mass hysteria.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:27 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Hmm. Wendell Phillips or Thomas Jefferson... Wendell or Jefferson... It's a tough choice, but I think I'm going to have to agree with Jefferson on this one. Sorry, Wendell.
Thomas Jefferson was not a framer of the Constitution, which was a repudiation of his ideas on democracy and natural rights. Get over it.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:30 AM

23,848 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
...cops consistently support more restrictions on guns...
You're wrong, comet.

Beat cops consistently support civilians arming themselves. They know better than anyone that they can't protect you. They're the ones that show up to find the messes created by the monsters that are out there.

It's the various police political organizations (e.g. Nat. Assoc. of Police Chiefs, etc) that oppose civilian gun ownership, and they do it for the same reasons they do everything else - politics. Don't make the mistake of confusing those political groups with actual police officers. They're NOT the same, and they don't accurately represent the opinions of cops on the street.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
You're wrong, comet.

Beat cops consistently support civilians arming themselves. They know better than anyone that they can't protect you. They're the ones that show up to find the messes created by the monsters that are out there.

It's the various police political organizations (e.g. Nat. Assoc. of Police Chiefs, etc) that oppose civilian gun ownership, and they do it for the same reasons they do everything else - politics. Don't make the mistake of confusing those political groups with actual police officers. They're NOT the same, and they don't accurately represent the opinions of cops on the street.
You have no data to back up your delineation of cops from the organizations they choose to represent themselves.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
Thomas Jefferson was not a framer of the Constitution, which was a repudiation of his ideas on democracy and natural rights. Get over it.
Thank you for pointing that out. Jefferson and the Constitution are at odds in some fundamental ways.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:

I could post a whole host of quotes from Jefferson that will offend modern right-wingers. Will you still defer to him in those situations?

Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Thank you for pointing that out. Jefferson and the Constitution are at odds in some fundamental ways.
How so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies