Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 11:22 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
men use direct confrontation in their aggression. women are far more skilled and effective with the use of more suble means.
We do? I might if you go and throw a leg over my bike, but not if you come sneaking into my place in the dark of night. After all I can walk all around in my place with no lights and not get tripped up.

I prefer to not be bothered, but if one must, then they should be very noisy about it, which is re-assuring, and is not apt to set me into hunter mode, and chances are you would never see I was armed..

Be sneaky and it's a whole other Ball Game.. And then I will be in hunter mode and expect that the bad guy is armed.. But in one way or another i would give a bad guy a chance to retreat with his life, until it is made known he won't retreat and is intending to do harm. In that case it's all over for said bad guy.

Or me.... All you can count on is a 50/50 chance armed, and about 0/100 un-armed...
and 0/0 if you depend on the cops of these chances I prefer the 50/50 to none at all..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 11:28 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,850,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
We do? I might if you go and throw a leg over my bike, but not if you come sneaking into my place in the dark of night. After all I can walk all around in my place with no lights and not get tripped up.

I prefer to not be bothered, but if one must, then they should be very noisy about it, which is re-assuring, and is not apt to set me into hunter mode, and chances are you would never see I was armed..

Be sneaky and it's a whole other Ball Game.. And then I will be in hunter mode and expect that the bad guy is armed.. But in one way or another i would give a bad guy a chance to retreat with his life, until it is made known he won't retreat and is intending to do harm. In that case it's all over for said bad guy.

Or me.... All you can count on is a 50/50 chance armed, and about 0/100 un-armed...
and 0/0 if you depend on the cops of these chances I prefer the 50/50 to none at all..
Everybody has a right to self protection be it real or, as in most cases, imagined.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:32 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Just curious Zombie - what are the gun laws (freedoms?) in the country of your first language?
My mother is Puerto Rican, the gun laws there are far tougher than the mainland.
My father is from Chechnya, though when he came to the USA, that was part of the Soviet Union. The gun laws currently in the republic of Chechnya are very strict but the ban is paper only. Just about every family has a gun due to the legacy of the wars. Most of the republic except low-lying urban areas are basically ruled by local tribes and not the government.

As to my first language, it was Spanish due to my mother. I later picked up Russian, Chechen and Italian (due to living in Italy at an young age). My Italian is now very weak. I learned English after those above mentioned languages.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:39 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,730,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Why would anyone post statistics at your request? You have made it abundantly clear that your view of the 2nd Amendment, even though that view is in direct contradiction to history and precedent, entitles you to tell everyone who owns a firearm that they are wrong for doing so. You have willfully ignored replies to your lunacy in which people posted statistics by repeating the same old drivel about militias. You have repeatedly stated that other countries are much safer than the United States (a statistically false premise), yet refused to answer the simple question of "Why do you live in the United States?" I seriously doubt that anyone on these forums has the time, the energy, or even the desire to introduce you to reality.

That's okay, neither does Saritaschihuahua.
You have great respect for the framers of the Second Amendment, I see, by your statement that the militia is "drivel."

Old 02-02-2013, 11:40 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,706,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I didn't say you are paranoid. I said that the vast majority of Americans do not need to carry guns. Some do, because of their line of work.

Out of curiosity, where were you at and what were doing when three people with clubs (were these the Geico guys?) and crowbars came after you? The only people in my life who run into situations like this who are not cops, repo men, bouncers and so on, are people who run with the wrong crowd or provoke others into violence. They don't need guns, they need to alter their behavior and with whom they associate.
Apparently your social circle is limited. As for where I was, I was repainting a rental house in a part of town that is considered "the bad side." I run a handyman business, and was hired to do some work there. Interestingly enough, I know other people who have also used a firearm to protect themselves from assault. None of them are cops, repo men, bouncers, or run with the wrong crowd. One is an accountant who was out to dinner with his fiance when someone tried to mug them. One is a landscaper who was attacked by a guy strung out on meth in a nice middle class neighborhood. There are others, but you've made it apparent that you don't believe these people need to carry a firearm for self defense because we are all safe in this utopian world where nothing bad can happen.

Sorry, but every time someone like you talks about how firearms are unnecessary it makes my teeth itch. The day that you can guarantee me that I or my loved ones will not be the victim of violent crime, you may feel free to lecture me about my paranoia and my "need to alter my behavior." Until then, every post you make decrying normal everyday people for their desire to take responsibility for their own safety just makes me wonder how you manage to go through life with blinders on.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:43 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Can you explain what plausible threats you face on a day-to-day basis and how you think you will be able to make a gun protect you from those threats?

Yup...my family spends a lot of time outdoors as do many familys in Alaska. Would not want to face this without a gun....a really big gun.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:45 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,212,859 times
If women are going to be worried about hurting or killing with the gun, why bother having one. When you point that thing you have to be ok with the consequences and if it will ruin your life then that might be enough reason not to have a gun. We do not need people carrying who are not emotionally strong enough to deal with what it means.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:47 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,557,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Here is an interesting article re: shooting to wound vs shooting to kill. The article is from a law enforcement perspective but it's interesting none-the-less:

Shooting to wound - Police Firearms Officers Association
Interesting article. Thanks. My brother was a police officer and then a detective before he became a special agent for the federal government. Unfortunately, he had to kill a guy while on the police force. When confronted with a life-threatening domestic violence case, he opted to shoot the guy first in the chest. Mind you, this was with either a .357 or .44 magnum, I can't recall which. Anyway, the guy was so high from using PCP, when my brother shot him it was as if he had hit him with a pebble. So, he then shot him in the head. My brother was devastated, and the department provided psychological counseling. For years he questioned if that incident would result in his death, because he never wanted to kill again, and often wondered if he would hesitate to again shoot to kill, and in the process lose his life. Thankfully, that didn't happen.

While I realize shooting to wound isn't advised, I also know that taking a life will forever change the life of the shooter. My brother passed away several years ago, and I know for certain he took the pain from that shooting to his grave. It's not as easy to live with killing a human being as some would believe.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:48 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,638 times
Sorry to all those that think this threadwas hijacked. Yes less woman own and use firearms never said otherwise.

I suggest if you don't like the direction this has taken just stay away.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:50 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,706,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
You have great respect for the framers of the Second Amendment, I see, by your statement that the militia is "drivel."
I have plenty of respect for them, I just don't have any respect for someone like you who claims to be more knowledgeable about the Constitution than the Supreme Court, Constitutional scholars, and historians, yet still manages to post absolute garbage in an attempt to argue a point that has already been argued and defeated countless times over. The 2nd Amendment protects the right of the individual to carry firearms in order to provide for their own safety. Get over yourself and stop trying to prove others wrong by showing that you have less knowledge of the Constitution than my eight year old daughter does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies