Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 09:56 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times

Advertisements

Well over 85% of rapists use no weapon at all. Hmmm. seems that there should be fewer successful rapes than there are. I mean...just by the statistics alone, you have to also know that a certain percentage of rape victims were armed! I've been trying hard to find data on how armed women have been doing against random attackers. Even the NRA isn't putting any numbers online. Surprise, is the attackers weapon of choice and it seems to be very effective. The gun hasn't been invented that takes surprise into account. As I understand it, the gun features defensively in 2% of home invasion scenarios. This is in area's with a ~30% firearm ownership. I'm glad my SO relies on martial arts training for personal safety than a Glock.

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 09:56 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Hmmm. I'm a big advocate of sex for pleasure, but I agree, guns for self-protection.... non-starter. I'd rather the gun types just admit they like the power of having killing technology at their beck and call. Power that they wield, but ultimately will never use. Like the U.S. nuclear arsenal. NRA propaganda aside, there really is no argument. Guns do not feature heavily as defensive weapons.

One main reason that I am against anymore proliferation of concealed carry is that it is fast becoming apparent that guns are weak as defensive weapons and thus more and more jurisdictions are allowing their... favored citizens the option of using offensive use of firepower on presumed threats rather than obvious threats. Racial minorities do not have equal access to firearms and will be disproportionately victimized by the fear driven, trigger happy, contingent of 2nd Amendment devotee's.

H

power that i wield, and power that i have used before. please do not assume that just because we own firearms that we the people have never used them for their intended purposes.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:59 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Perhaps if they were sold in pink and pastels.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:01 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
If you must have a gun for protection, then get a 12 gauge, double-barrel shotgun
Is that you, Joe?

Ladies and gentlemen, we have the Vice President of the United States on the forum! Either that, or someone that lets politicians do their thinking for them...

Old 02-01-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the 2nd Amendment still reads shall not be infringed upon. the federal government stll disregards that as much as possible.
Personal safety is not in the purview of the 2nd Amendment. People taking up arms against other citizens of the U.S. was not the intent of the 2nd Amendment. To use a gun effectively you have to use it first. More and more people are doing that. It's becoming a problem. Threads like this don't help. I don't want hordes of frightened women with death in their purses learning that they have to be first on the trigger to ensure their safety. At least in my area if they shoot me pre-emptively without warning they will be prosecuted. In a growing number of areas, not so much. I'll flee this country ASAP if they ever bring in a "stand your ground" legislation in my city. I'll watch from elsewhere as this once great land implodes under the weight of all the racial, class and gender hatred.

H

Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 AM

61 posts, read 46,856 times
Quote:
Well over 85% of rapists use no weapon at all. Hmmm. seems that there should be fewer successful rapes than there are. I mean...just by the statistics alone, you have to also know that a certain percentage of rape victims were armed! I've been trying hard to find data on how armed women have been doing against random attackers. Even the NRA isn't putting any numbers online. Surprise, is the attackers weapon of choice and it seems to be very effective. The gun hasn't been invented that takes surprise into account. As I understand it, the gun features defensively in 2% of home invasion scenarios. This is in area's with a ~30% firearm ownership. I'm glad my SO relies on martial arts training for personal safety than a Glock.
Trying to convince women that it is silly to possess and train with a firearm as a means of personal self defense because of a statistical improbability is deceptive, irresponsible, disgusting and misogynistic.

Enough with the War on Women, hoplophobes.

If a woman deems it necessary to train with and carry a gun for personal defense that is her business.

By what authority do you and the hoplophobe gun grabbers presume to have that makes you think you can dictate to law abiding women that they should not train with and possess firearms for personal self defense simply because of a statistical improbability?

One rape is one too many. I have zero tolerance for rape and violence against women. It is my policy that if a woman wants to protect herself and her children from violent attackers with a firearm then that is a responsible and virtuous thing, and we should encourage responsible and proficient use of firearms by all law abiding citizens, including women.

What's your policy?

Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
power that i wield, and power that i have used before. please do not assume that just because we own firearms that we the people have never used them for their intended purposes.
??? intended purposes?? I swear, posts like this threaten my life more than the guns do...

Old 02-01-2013, 10:11 AM

61 posts, read 46,856 times
Quote:
Personal safety is not in the purview of the 2nd Amendment. People taking up arms against other citizens of the U.S. was not the intent of the 2nd Amendment. To use a gun effectively you have to use it first. More and more people are doing that. It's becoming a problem. Threads like this don't help. I don't want hordes of frightened women with death in their purses learning that they have to be first on the trigger to ensure their safety. At least in my area if they shoot me pre-emptively without warning they will be prosecuted. In a growing number of areas, not so much. I'll flee this country ASAP if they ever bring in a "stand your ground" legislation in my city. I'll watch from elsewhere as this once great land implodes under the weight of all the racial, class and gender hatred.
Why are you waging a War on Women? Why are you trying to discourage the responsible use of firearms as a means of self defense against violent attackers? What is your agenda here? Why do you want to perpetuate the victimhood of women against violent attackers?

A gun in a woman's purse is not an instrument of death. It is an instrument of life. You want women to be victims of violent crime. I seek to empower them and encourage them to refuse to be a victim.

Your assertions are perverted and misogynistic.

Enough with the War on Women!

Old 02-01-2013, 10:12 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
??? intended purposes?? I swear, posts like this threaten my life more than the guns do...

Here ya go, this will make it all better.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Why even my grandmother carried a small pearl handled pistol in her apron pocket. I have no earthly idea what the OP is talking about, must be from DC or the NE (lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies