Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 11:00 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I get that. Unfortunately, most people DON'T want to work for what they have. They want it handed to them.
Unfortunately, most people DO work for what they have. And they work darn hard for it.

MOST people don't have the combination of hard work, opportunity, and luck come together to make them wealthy.

That you want to blame people for not being wealthy is irrational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
My drug-addled parents and the lame-ass alcoholics to whom they handed off, entirely failed to provide me with the developmental skills the vast majority of kids grow up with.

I bet the overwhelming majority of millionaires had excellent parenting.
so you admit your whole situation is your own (and parents) fault......

1,065 posts, read 1,311,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
so you are calling people with low paying jobs stupid...

thanks for showign how shallow liberals are
Now...I don't know, nor care, if you define yourself as a Liberal, a Conservative, or what, but your logic skills are certainly lacking in this post.

Certainly, you would agree that doctors must have a minimum capacity for learning to pass the classes needed to become a doctor, yes?

That in no way means that anyone who is not a doctor lacks that minimum capacity, however.

If you need a Venn diagram to assist, I can provide that.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:01 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post
No one is doing that at all
You're ALL doing that. I linked a source. You're all up in arms over the implications.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
A lot of people have non-wage income, like interest and dividends, rental income, capital gains, business income, etc.

WAGE income is considerably lower, I'd like to see some actual data reporting $23 hourly wages.

And if millions of workers are now getting under 30 hours of work a week due to Obamacare, their income ius going to be a lot lower, right? (Not to mention that the workers getting under 30 hours are probably clustered around the low end of the wage scale.)
Wage income is called Earned Income. The Labor board has no information on unearned income and it is not a factor in average or median wage.

Most retail and restaurant jobs were part time well before Obamacare and will likely remain so going forward because they do not want to incur the cost of benefits. Some employers found it convenient to Blame the Obama.

There is nothing to prevent someone from having two part time jobs. Millions do so and mange to cobble together 40-50-60 hours a week.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:02 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The average hourly non-farm wage in the United States is $23.78. That equals to $49,462 per individual OR $98,924 per two worker household ANNUALLY!

There is absolutely NO REASON why the average worker in the United States cannot live off of these wages.

In fact, with these wages, and when personal responsibility is factored into the equation, there's absolutely no reason for single-parent families, children born out of wedlock, Medicaid, WIC, Welfare, or Food Stamps.

The AVERAGE worker makes $49,462 per year and yet we have liberals belly-aching over minimum wage and people barely able to make ends meet???? Who's fault is that?!

Get off your lazy asses and DO SOMETHING with your unproductive lives! There's money to be made out there!

Employment, Hours, and Earnings from the Current Employment Statistics survey (National) Home Page
You do realize there is a problem with using averages for that in a country with a moderate to high Gini coefficient, right? You should use median instead. The median Household income in the US is about 44k

Old 02-01-2013, 11:02 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,311,686 times
Quote:
You're ALL doing that. I linked a source. You're all up in arms over the implications.
Read what I posted, I can't speak for anyone else

Link to where I did as you have claimed.

Thank you in advance

Old 02-01-2013, 11:03 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
And those credits (earned income and dependent) have been around for a long, long time.
Yet somehow, a heck of a lot of people seem to think this is an Obama thing. Where was the outrage before Obama?
It's not an Obama thing, though Obama's extension of benefits has made it WORSE. It's an enabling the bad decision makers thing, and it HAS to STOP!

Old 02-01-2013, 11:03 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
minus 6.5k STD DED....or you could itemize, especially if you pay high property taxes or have lots of medical costs

minus 3700 (personal exemption) ...3700 per person in the household

total TAXABLE income ...5k

tax SHOULD be 15% (15% for EVERYONE would be FAIR)

15% of 5k .....$750

that's how much you should pay

you asked

Like HowTF many burger flippers are ABLE to itemize?

How how does said burger flipper carry proper insurance, save for a rainy day, save for retirement, etc?

This oughta be good.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:05 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Total BS.

4% are self-made millionaires (the 80% who are first generation wealthy of the 5% of the U.S. population who are millionaires).
You scream about statistics, but don't really seem to understand them.

If contraceptives are 97-99% effective, then every time you have sex, you run the risk of an unintended pregnancy. The number of people engaging in sex, using contraceptives, every single day, vastly outnumber the number of millionaires in the US population. So, the odds of an unintended pregnancy are vastly greater than the odds of someone born into poverty becoming wealthy. Statistics--they just suck, don't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies