Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 12:36 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
YOU are the one claiming the AVERAGE worker earns the MEDIAN wage, and therefore, that the rest of us can do so also.

That's a fail.
Nothing in any of my post even alludes to "median" wages. Is there some particular reason that you're trying to construe my term "average worker" as something outside of the scope of the post, which is that of the AVERAGE hourly wage? If I wanted to talk about "median" wages, I would have done so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 12:38 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,311,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Nothing in any of my post even alludes to "median" wages.
Curious, what percentage of workers make at, or above, the average wage?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Everything is an opportunity. Staff jobs in hospitals/schools respect those who have some semblance of very basic medical training, like the CNA or EMT desigations.

Getting hung up on where you start is a self-defeating strategy.
You cannot move up to an RN without getting a nursing degree and passing the licensing exam. The only staff jobs in hospitals for people with the above preparation are the lowest, entry level jobs in patient care, and there is NO WAY to advance up the ladder. The director of nursing is not chosen from the CNA ranks. In fact, few hospitals hire EMTs because, despite their exalted status among some people, they generally do not have much education.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:40 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not at all. Vote with your feet. MOVE somewhere else, in which those restrictions AREN'T in place!!!
That's the issue right there in a nutshell. These people truly believe it is NOT their responsibility to put themselves into a position with upward mobility. Heck, I used to work at a landfill for $9/hr. Union job and everything while living in a seaside winter rental. I just got fed up one day and decided I was going to better myself. I walked off the job and went down to the local UE building and applied for trade school training. I now have a career and make a decent living above the national average and own my own home in a nice neighborhood. Was it hard? Of course, anything worth a crap is hard work, but it paid off and it is very achievable for ANYONE who puts their mind to it.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:41 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post
ok. then screw average, since you guys want to debate the meaning of a word

fact the MEDIAN (meaning half/half) household income for the entire USA is 50k

that means 50% of the households of ALL REPORTED WORKERS make 50k OR MORE

Last edited by workingclasshero; 02-01-2013 at 01:05 PM..

Old 02-01-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Of course, anything worth a crap is hard work, but it paid off and it is very achievable for ANYONE who puts their mind to it.
It is achievable for EVERYONE?
At the same time?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:42 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
It is achievable for EVERYONE?
At the same time?
ah

words , just words

success is achievable for ANYONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
ok. then screw average, since you guys want to debate the meaning of a word

fact the MEDIAN (meaning half/half) household income for the entire USA is 50k

that means 50% of ALL REPORTED WORKERS make 50k OR MORE
Source

6,331 posts, read 5,209,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The average hourly non-farm wage in the United States is $23.78. That equals to $49,462 per individual OR $98,924 per two worker household ANNUALLY!

There is absolutely NO REASON why the average worker in the United States cannot live off of these wages.

In fact, with these wages, and when personal responsibility is factored into the equation, there's absolutely no reason for single-parent families, children born out of wedlock, Medicaid, WIC, Welfare, or Food Stamps.

The AVERAGE worker makes $49,462 per year and yet we have liberals belly-aching over minimum wage and people barely able to make ends meet???? Who's fault is that?!

Get off your lazy asses and DO SOMETHING with your unproductive lives! There's money to be made out there!

Employment, Hours, and Earnings from the Current Employment Statistics survey (National) Home Page
That's assuming people work 40 hours, many don't. You also are not factoring in taxes and health care costs.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:43 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
I'm not sure about individuals, but 50% of households make more and 50% make less. Considering that 2 people are in a household, at least in 50% of cases, there must be alot of worthless people out there. Why only 25% of households make more than 85K, lazy lazy bastards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies