Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 07:31 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,917,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Actually, if you want to save lives in your home you are something like 5000x more likely to save someone's life with an AED and CPR training than with a gun. An AED costs about the same as a gun.
I tried that CPR thing once. That got me a trail for murder.... Won't be saving any lives that way again. Sorry.

The story is Mom's only decent man friend was in China during WW-2 as a private contractor. He got bombed by the Japs, and with banned chemical weapons. That caused emphysema, which over worked his heart.

Going out to buy basics he opened the door to the cellar stairs and that was the last thing he did.

I was 'caught' in the act of trying to do my best, after having taken Jr Life Saving recently at that time, but no, instead it was said i pushed him down the stairs. Oh Well.

The local library and Fire Dept have have AED. No one comes here that would need it.

I can't use it for anything else. It won't bring my son and grand son over to shoot targets. It won't attract my wife for any quality time out back shooting either. It won't put any meat on the table ever...

And if you think I would use it on a bad guy I just shot yer right out of your mind.

I have a hunch you will so long as to find out the folly of you ways.... But then for all I know, you never get off the couch.

You see I don't live a bit like you. and besides good hard physical labor in the shop, I go bust ass in the woods most any chance I get.

Last weekend I found one of these ice circles and this is my very first one. I have never heven heard of them. It is free floating and in a fast mtn stream.
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...20565771_n.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 07:35 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,189,893 times
Quote:
I know that you are 25X more likely to kill one of your own than you are to kill an intruder with a gun.

BTW, I get some information from my brothers. One is a detective with a city police dept and the other one is an FBI agent in Washington DC and has been with them for close to 30 years. They both recommend shotguns if you feel you need a gun. But they both recommend against guns in the home.
Do they suggest you keep the shotgun on you then?

LOL idiotic

Old 02-07-2013, 07:57 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,126,318 times
Quote:
Actually, if you want to save lives in your home you are something like 5000x more likely to save someone's life with an AED and CPR training than with a gun. An AED costs about the same as a gun.
CPR has a 5% success rate.

"Currently, nearly 300,000 Americans suffer out-of-hospital cardiac arrest every year, and overall survival rates average only 5 percent."

15000 saved by CPR.

Researchers find new CPR method increases survival rate by 50 percent - Academic Health Center - University of Minnesota

In 2011 there where 260 justifiable homicides and 201 of them were with guns.

FBI - Expanded Homicide Data Table 15

So technically your argument is correct. However, the more correct argument would be to own an AED and a gun. And be CPR certified. And be a certified First Responder. And carry an extensive first aid kit.

It doesn't matter how the odds stack up. It only takes one time without a gun or without an AED to die.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:17 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,522,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
CPR has a 5% success rate.

"Currently, nearly 300,000 Americans suffer out-of-hospital cardiac arrest every year, and overall survival rates average only 5 percent."

15000 saved by CPR.

Researchers find new CPR method increases survival rate by 50 percent - Academic Health Center - University of Minnesota

In 2011 there where 260 justifiable homicides and 201 of them were with guns.

FBI - Expanded Homicide Data Table 15

So technically your argument is correct. However, the more correct argument would be to own an AED and a gun. And be CPR certified. And be a certified First Responder. And carry an extensive first aid kit.

It doesn't matter how the odds stack up. It only takes one time without a gun or without an AED to die.
Firearm is used millions time a year as in self-defense. Even the low estimate by Brady Co. is 800,000.

Saving far more lives than AED and CPR.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:21 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,126,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Firearm is used millions time a year as in self-defense. Even the low estimate by Brady Co. is 800,000.

Saving far more lives than AED and CPR.
The old 2.5 million defensive uses a year stats are dubious at best. False at worst. All sources agree the data is old and outdated.

And I'm a gun loving nut.

The number is irrelevant, however, as even saving just ONE life makes it worth owning.

Shrug...

Even 1% of that number makes it worth it though. Even 0.5%...

Old 02-07-2013, 09:46 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,717,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
This is a truly moronic statement, perhaps you would like to back it up with some factual statistics.
Again, you're living a movie scenario in which you're the hero and nothing can ever go wrong with a scenario. You always come out the hero, saving everyone's life. You're talking pure nonsense.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:47 AM

46,217 posts, read 26,980,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Again, you're living a movie scenario in which you're the hero and nothing can ever go wrong with a scenario. You always come out the hero, saving everyone's life. You're talking pure nonsense.
You are the only one that continues to say this....why is that?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:57 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,717,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You are the only one that continues to say this....why is that?
Because I'm sitting here reading the fantasy BS you gun owners keep typing. It sounds straight out of every gun-and-shooting movie I've ever seen. Pure BS.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:58 AM

46,217 posts, read 26,980,998 times
Quote:
Because I'm sitting here reading the fantasy BS you gun owners keep typing. It sounds straight out of every gun-and-shooting movie I've ever seen. Pure BS.
Then quote these postings you are talking about....I don't think you can...

Quote:
Pure BS.
Yes, you are very good at this...

Old 02-07-2013, 10:02 AM

20,420 posts, read 12,338,684 times
The thread is about High Capacity Magazines (HCM) of more than 10 rounds.

The OP suggests that you just don’t need more than 10. I have already posted my thought on the "need argument"

But let’s deal with some facts about the real reason the OP and others want to ban HCMs.

Because if you have more bullets you can kill more people? Hmm....

They use Sandy Hook and the CO Movie shooting as their main examples.

But we know some stuff about both of those mass killings that explode the argument. In almost all of the cases where there is a mass shooting and where the shooter used a weapon with HCM, they also had in their possession, other firearms that were not High Capacity.

So reality is eliminating HCMs would do very little if anything to limit the damage done by crazy people on a killing rampage.

The question then becomes, what is the real motive here? They know they aren’t going to stop the killings by doing this. What do they really want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies