Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:07 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Speaking of liberals in technology fields, do you realize Silicon Valley is about 70-75% Democrat (voting-wise)? I live in that area, and can confirm an overwhelming majority of engineers, programmers, etc, are politically on the left. So again, I would love to see the OP's evidence stating we all major in liberal arts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 09:09 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,061,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Speaking of liberals in technology fields, do you realize Silicon Valley is about 70-75% Democrat (voting-wise)? I live in that area, and can confirm an overwhelming majority of engineers, programmers, etc, are politically on the left. So again, I would love to see the OP's evidence stating we all major in liberal arts.
A lot are Indians who are not really 'socially left' but are 'politically left' for various reasons.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
A lot are Indians who are not really 'socially left' but are 'politically left' for various reasons.
Many, but not all (are Indian)... either way, they are still far from "conservative." I know a ton of Indian folks, and they're usually quite liberal on most issues.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:32 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Wondering if the OP has not heard of "sweeping generalizations."

Old 02-02-2013, 09:35 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,061,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Many, but not all (are Indian)... either way, they are still far from "conservative." I know a ton of Indian folks, and they're usually quite liberal on most issues.
Ask them how they treat their women. Most won't even let their women know how much they make, and they all high tail it back to India to get married to arranged brides.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:39 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
College has become a scam for many, just sinking students in debt and inculcating them with pretentious terminology. Try getting a practical mathematics or engineering degree liberals instead of "cultural studies." I actually had someone in a college class tell me it was offensive to talk about some people being unintelligent. I thought, "Why the hell are we here, if we can't agree that some people have worked to become intelligent and others have not?" This lady insisted I use the word "ignorant" instead, because apparently that is PC and we don't want to label intelligence. I explained to her that ignorance is different than stupidity, because you can be quite knowledgable about facts and trivia and still be stupid. If I had a dollar for every time some professor mangled the English language to invent a new pretentious term like "advisement" to sound sophisticated. And people wondered why our president talked that way; its because the emperors with no clothes in our universities have been doing it for decades. Schools and money thrown at issues kill creativity, so why do liberals claim they are more intelligent than others, when they keep trying the same things time and time again that don't work.
Since you seem to be keen on using math here is some math for you.

Table A-4. Employment status of the civilian population 25 years and over by educational attainment

In the long run people who go to college are better off then those who don't as far as employment is concerned, and the longer you go the better off you are.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:40 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
This thread reminds me of a great headline I saw recently on The Onion-

Ten Percent Of U.S. High School Students Graduating Without Basic Object Permanence Skills

Old 02-02-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Ask them how they treat their women. Most won't even let their women know how much they make, and they all high tail it back to India to get married to arranged brides.
Most of the Indian people I know, especially at work, ARE women... generalize much?

Still means nothing of their political (American) ideologies, unless you're saying only conservatives are misogynistic. Oh, snap.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Since you seem to be keen on using math here is some math for you.

Table A-4. Employment status of the civilian population 25 years and over by educational attainment

In the long run people who go to college are better off then those who don't as far as employment is concerned, and the longer you go the better off you are.
Yup, and that goes for ALL fields of work. I've read in many sources that a college-educated individual will earn (on average) $1M more in a lifetime, and even us lowly "liberal arts" majors earn more than your typical HS graduate. So what's the harm?

Old 02-02-2013, 10:15 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
College has become a scam for many, just sinking students in debt and inculcating them with pretentious terminology. Try getting a practical mathematics or engineering degree liberals instead of "cultural studies." I actually had someone in a college class tell me it was offensive to talk about some people being unintelligent. I thought, "Why the hell are we here, if we can't agree that some people have worked to become intelligent and others have not?" This lady insisted I use the word "ignorant" instead, because apparently that is PC and we don't want to label intelligence. I explained to her that ignorance is different than stupidity, because you can be quite knowledgable about facts and trivia and still be stupid. If I had a dollar for every time some professor mangled the English language to invent a new pretentious term like "advisement" to sound sophisticated. And people wondered why our president talked that way; its because the emperors with no clothes in our universities have been doing it for decades. Schools and money thrown at issues kill creativity, so why do liberals claim they are more intelligent than others, when they keep trying the same things time and time again that don't work.
You want to know why? When those liberal professors sit in their faculty lounges and talk amongst themselves, they all nod in agreement at the superior intellect of their ideology, while not allowing any opposing views to intrude on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies