Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 03:06 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times

Advertisements

I enlisted in the US ARMY in 1957 and there was gang activity then and the military was concerned about it then. We were searched for gang tattoo's, specifically a symbol tattooed between the thumb and the first finger. It was concealed as long as the two were pressed together. We were required to spread'um .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 03:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Its the perfect storm:

>50% of right-wingers with military "experience"

+

Extreme Tea Party antics firmly entrenched in Republican politics

+

rising right-wing resentment against a growing immigrant population

+

more and more guns feeding into the right-wing nation

= First World Taliban
Well then if the DHS is as astute as you then all of us Whites must be on a potential domestic terrorist list somewhere so they can keep an eye on us.

You never can tell if a White person might turn extreme Tea Party Taliban, can you ?

Old 02-02-2013, 03:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I enlisted in the US ARMY in 1957 and there was gang activity then and the military was concerned about it then. We were searched for gang tattoo's, specifically a symbol tattooed between the thumb and the first finger. It was concealed as long as the two were pressed together. We were required to spread'um .
Gee, how far we've come.

I did summer school for 8th grade math and we had to check the students for exposed gang tattoos right after the first bell every morning and send them to the office to get covered up with those huge bandaids.

The kids were told..no exposed gang tattoos. And these were 14-15 year olds.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
Agreed. They're not a problem while they're the military; it's when they get out that they get up to no good.
True...they don't put up with it on active duty.

Here's the thing i came to realize when i was in the Army...

You're dealing with punk kids whose whole world was a few miles in radius while growing up. Most don't even know what the hell a "supremacist" is. They're just following some alpha dog type who happens to be a drinking buddy, or whatever. 99% will never act on this foolishness.

I met guys who were racists when we were in basic training (to the extent that an 18 yr old can be a racist), and we were all good buddies by the time our basic and infantry school was over. A few of those knuckleheads went to jump school with me afterwards. One in particular was at Air Assault school a few years later with me and we bonded again right away. It was as if we'd been hanging out all along.

Generally speaking, most of that stuff melts away once everyone gets to know each other.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:38 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
True...they don't put up with it on active duty.

Here's the thing i came to realize when i was in the Army...

You're dealing with punk kids whose whole world was a few miles in radius while growing up. Most don't even know what the hell a "supremacist" is. They're just following some alpha dog type who happens to be a drinking buddy, or whatever. 99% will never act on this foolishness.

I met guys who were racists when we were in basic training (to the extent that an 18 yr old can be a racist), and we were all good buddies by the time our basic and infantry school was over. A few of those knuckleheads went to jump school with me afterwards. One in particular was at Air Assault school a few years later with me and we bonded again right away. It was as if we'd been hanging out all along.

Generally speaking, most of that stuff melts away once everyone gets to know each other.

I agree.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:46 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Quote:
CNN report: White supremacists in our military

If this comes as a surprise to you, you must be very young.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:08 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,224,371 times
American Law Enforcement is the MAJOR threat to law abiding Americans. They just don't like competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Exactly. And its already shown up as a MAJOR threat to American Law Enforcement throughout this country. Gang members have been receiving military training, combat experience and have brought it home to their gangs. They are training gang members in such techniques and are/have set up military style ambushes against police.

Its not just White Supremist's." Its every race and gang known. This is a good example:

CERES, STANISLAUS COUNTY / Marine who killed cop linked to gang activity / Family members dispute account by investigators - SFGate

Old 02-02-2013, 05:53 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
There are also brown and black supremists in the military so the point is?

Old 02-02-2013, 07:02 PM

78,327 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
A snippet from an extensive CNN report which shows that white supremacists have been growing in the military (as usual they are almost all Republicans/TeaPartiers) although they have always been there. This is a growing concern in our military. Infact, it is also a common concern in military's of foreign countries where like us they recruit from rural areas and most people in these rural areas are conservatives with narrow views on life.

Feds: White supremacists in military – The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer - CNN.com Blogs
That's quite a fine insult of people growing up in rural areas.

Oh well, people from urban areas are all thieves, murders and liars so we really can't believe you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies