Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 08:55 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times

Advertisements

This gun rights backer, armed with his Glock and his blog, is always on alert - The Washington Post

Interesting that Holocaust fear and memory should be involved in this man's neurosis:

Quote:
Both are Jewish, and both lost grandparents in the Holocaust — surely a source, Farago says, of their wariness of government..."Because of all the people on the face of the Earth who should be pro-gun, the Jews should be right at the top of that list,” he says. “How many Jews have to die before they realize that ‘never again’ means being prepared — personally prepared?”
And then, of course, there's the unmistakable symptom of paranoia:

Quote:
A couple of hours later, the two men dig into dinner at a swank Italian restaurant, both of them choosing chairs that let them face the entrance. “Look at the way Robert and I are facing,” Kenik says. “Crime happens everywhere. There’s no place to feel safe.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 08:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
i dont have a problem with this post. makes sense, all of it.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:01 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Condi Rice once desribed herself as a 'Second Amendment absolutist.' It's interesting that a Jew remembering the Holocaust and a black from Birmingham should share the same perspective.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:18 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,895 times
I always try to sit where I have my back to a wall and I can see the door, I also always make it a point to know where another exit is in every building I enter. Is this because I am paranoid? Nope, just a firm believer that the only person who is going to look out for me and my family when something goes wrong is me.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Only stupid and crazy people take responsibility for their own personal safety!

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 02-02-2013 at 09:53 PM..

Old 02-02-2013, 10:01 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
If you live your life on alert to protect yourself from a danger which is infinitesimally likely to ever occur, then yes, you are stupid and crazy.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Society is made up of Us and Them..... it's really as simple as that and it always has been. We are at the mercy of them. If someone wants to slit your throat in line at the grocery store, there really isn't much you can do about it. If someone wants to walk down the street blowing people away, there really isn't much we can do about it. If someone wants to set your house a flame in the middle of the night, there really isn't much you can do about it.

The only thing that we can do is to try our best to minimize the damage done once someone makes the decision to do something sinister and then acts on that decision.

You cannot constantly be prepared in every facet of your life, nor would I want to be. What kind of life would that be? You would likely go insane if you tried. You will have to let your gaurd down at some point, whether it be when you eat dinner, when you pull your wallet out to pay for your groceries, or when you sleep.

You will aways be volnerable and we will always be at the mercy of thugs, criminals, and the mentaly ill. There is no such thing as complete safety. You can't legislate or enforce safety. All you can do is minimize.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 PM

23,863 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
I always try to sit where I have my back to a wall and I can see the door, I also always make it a point to know where another exit is in every building I enter. Is this because I am paranoid? Nope, just a firm believer that the only person who is going to look out for me and my family when something goes wrong is me.
Survivor ^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
If you live your life on alert to protect yourself from a danger which is infinitesimally likely to ever occur, then yes, you are stupid and crazy.
Murder victim ^^^

Hey, It'sAutomatic - Do you wear your seat belt? Do you have fire insurance? Smoke detectors? If you answered "yes" to any of those questions, then you, too, must also be "stupid and crazy."

Old 02-02-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
This gun rights backer, armed with his Glock and his blog, is always on alert - The Washington Post

Interesting that Holocaust fear and memory should be involved in this man's neurosis:

And then, of course, there's the unmistakable symptom of paranoia:
What does your quoted phrases have to do with the article you linked? I don't get it? Those quotes weren't even in the article.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Survivor ^^^

Murder victim ^^^

Hey, It'sAutomatic - Do you wear your seat belt? Do you have fire insurance? Smoke detectors? If you answered "yes" to any of those questions, then you, too, must also be "stupid and crazy."
. Do you put batteries in your alarm clock in case the electric goes out in the middle of the night It'sAutomatic? So you are saying you are prepared? Wearing a gun at your hip is really no different. It's called being prepared to minimize the damage caused once someone makes the decision to do evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies