U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2013, 01:22 PM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,136 posts, read 6,464,104 times
Reputation: 7984

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Maybe he was molesting these girls and these guys knew it? We don't know anything until the facts come out.


My God. How ridiculous can you get? What if, what if, what if.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2013, 01:27 PM
 
7,253 posts, read 3,747,501 times
Reputation: 3753
I couldn`t help but notice that as usual the bad guys were armed. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Portland, OR
9,608 posts, read 9,811,529 times
Reputation: 9236
I'm happy for the coach. Really I am. He is a HERO! His quick work with his gun saved him and his two protege's. I understand why he had a gun. I don't understand why a teacher in New Town, CT needs one. Elsewhere in the news we learn that two men were killed at a firing range for the love of God. Let's all lose contact with reason and think that people are dropping bad guys right and left with their concealed weapons. Truly it is not so. More often than not, he who shoots first... ... the attackers in the story were inept. When guns work, the offense was flawed. Had the attackers simply shot the coach first, before he even knew that he was the target of an attack the story would have taken an entirely different turn.

An expansion of gun saturation will create exactly this kind of situation. It won't be safe to leave the house. Criminals will know they have to drop you first to have any chance of success. The coach is alive because in all likelihood the thugs didn't know he was armed. A concealed weapons paradigm that escalates to every adult male and female in America... the NRA Holy Grail, would be a nightmare in reality. People would simply be shot pre-emptively by criminals. If this is the USA you want to live in, go for it. I'll be gone.

Either America is a Third World Pit on the Fourth Ring of Hell and we all need to carry Glock 9mm's set on full auto and duck walk while spinning around to scan 360* all the way to the car when we leave the house OR we live in a relatively safe technologically advanced nation barring some urban concentrations of underclass. Most of you frothers will never have to fire a shot in anger. Your insistence that you need guns to be legally accessible keeps them in circulation. You are responsible for the general carnage.

75% of the oil in the earth and ALL of the air pollution is caused by cars. Making cars electric would be such a game changer it isn't funny. Conservatives ridicule every effort to bring electric automobiles to the mass market. Even when internal combustion cars are killing them with every breath they ridicule the very concept of a car that doesn't run on gasoline. Gun owners and would be gun owners are keeping this country mired in the past. A past that is no longer relevant. When there were 70,000 cars in America it wasn't relevant that they polluted. Now that there are 300 million of them, it is. There are about 300 million guns as well. How's that 2nd Amendment holding up? A lot of the 100 people killed every day are middle class, they aren't all black thugs and gang bangers! Lots of them are people it will be useful to have around in 10 or 20 years. Only they won't be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Southern California
15,088 posts, read 17,513,050 times
Reputation: 10298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
How come stories like this aren't all over CD? A 70 year old man with a gun saves two girls. Everyone should
be celebrating the 2A!

...
Maybe they're watching the Superbowl?

[or watching commercials]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
30,392 posts, read 20,039,792 times
Reputation: 8321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I'm happy for the coach. Really I am. He is a HERO! His quick work with his gun saved him and his two protege's. I understand why he had a gun. I don't understand why a teacher in New Town, CT needs one. Elsewhere in the news we learn that two men were killed at a firing range for the love of God. Let's all lose contact with reason and think that people are dropping bad guys right and left with their concealed weapons. Truly it is not so. More often than not, he who shoots first... ... the attackers in the story were inept. When guns work, the offense was flawed. Had the attackers simply shot the coach first, before he even knew that he was the target of an attack the story would have taken an entirely different turn.

An expansion of gun saturation will create exactly this kind of situation. It won't be safe to leave the house. Criminals will know they have to drop you first to have any chance of success. The coach is alive because in all likelihood the thugs didn't know he was armed. A concealed weapons paradigm that escalates to every adult male and female in America... the NRA Holy Grail, would be a nightmare in reality. People would simply be shot pre-emptively by criminals. If this is the USA you want to live in, go for it. I'll be gone.

Either America is a Third World Pit on the Fourth Ring of Hell and we all need to carry Glock 9mm's set on full auto and duck walk while spinning around to scan 360* all the way to the car when we leave the house OR we live in a relatively safe technologically advanced nation barring some urban concentrations of underclass. Most of you frothers will never have to fire a shot in anger. Your insistence that you need guns to be legally accessible keeps them in circulation. You are responsible for the general carnage.

75% of the oil in the earth and ALL of the air pollution is caused by cars. Making cars electric would be such a game changer it isn't funny. Conservatives ridicule every effort to bring electric automobiles to the mass market. Even when internal combustion cars are killing them with every breath they ridicule the very concept of a car that doesn't run on gasoline. Gun owners and would be gun owners are keeping this country mired in the past. A past that is no longer relevant. When there were 70,000 cars in America it wasn't relevant that they polluted. Now that there are 300 million of them, it is. There are about 300 million guns as well. How's that 2nd Amendment holding up? A lot of the 100 people killed every day are middle class, they aren't all black thugs and gang bangers! Lots of them are people it will be useful to have around in 10 or 20 years. Only they won't be.





When thugs show up with guns, generally bad things follow...




"The pair had been kidnapped at gunpoint Feb. 28 outside their home on Andrus Street. Their bodies were found nearly a month later."

From The Detroit News: Deliberations to resume Monday in Hamtramck murder case | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com


"Investigators told Action 4 News that the armed men in a light blue van took 33-year-old Jorge Cedillo from a home."

Man kidnapped at gunpoint north of Alamo : News : ValleyCentral.com


"An Omaha couple was kidnapped at gunpoint from a gym parking lot and taken to a nearby bank to get money from an ATM machine, police said Wednesday."

Omaha couple abducted, forced to make ATM withdrawal - Omaha.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 08:24 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,148 posts, read 4,705,844 times
Reputation: 4817
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Maybe he was molesting these girls and these guys knew it? We don't know anything until the facts come out.
So that would warrant him to be shot in the face? OK, so clearly you are anti-gun control, now. Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Exeter, NH
5,282 posts, read 4,387,099 times
Reputation: 5667
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
He better have a permit for that gun or he's going to jail. And I wonder if they would report further on the story when other facts come out?

A questionable shooting that "saved" someone (yeah right) does not justify the carnage in this country.
So you doubt it is possible for a gun to be used for defense?

And the cases where guns ARE used for defense should not be considered because there are criminals amongst us?

And the fact that the only people who obey gun control laws are ALREADY law-abiding citizens, since criminals by definition don't care what the law says, is meaningless? How about the fact that disarming the citizenry encourages crime because criminals no longer have to be afraid the victim will shoot them? Case in point: when I lived in Florida, there was a major problem with criminals specifically targeting rental cars coming from the airport, knowing that the occupants were unarmed; these vicious thugs were well aware that native Floridians may very well have a Concealed Weapons Permit.

Perhaps knives, bats, poisons, fire, fireworks, prescription drugs, cars, trucks, motorcycles, stairs, bathrooms and kitchens, gas appliances, heaters, and many other "dangerous" things should be entirely banned also, since they could be used to harm someone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Area 51.5
13,904 posts, read 11,446,778 times
Reputation: 9074
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Innocent man defends himself. What is the controversy?

The little punk deserved it. Nice shot, old man.
Exactly!

No more need be said. Except this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
It is truly amazing and eye opening to read the idiotic replies of the gun grabbers here. A man defends himself and others from possible bodily harm, and these idiots want to blame the people who were attacked instead of the attackers. What in the hell has this society come to? This is certainly not the country that I was raised in.
Nor I.

Thank God for the ignore button. I don't use it because I disagree with someone. I use it because you can't fix stupid and life's too short for some kinds of stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Pacific NW
9,442 posts, read 5,793,261 times
Reputation: 7893
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
He better have a permit for that gun or he's going to jail. And I wonder if they would report further on the story when other facts come out?

A questionable shooting that "saved" someone (yeah right) does not justify the carnage in this country.
And what is questionable about it? Just because it doesn't fit your anti gun agenda? There is no "carnage" in this country. That's a pathetic attempt to emotionally drive your political view. I'm sure you don't care about the 1,000,000 times a year guns are used by people to defend themselves, that won't help you in your agenda. People like you would have no problem with another MILLION innocent victims of crime / year as long as you can strip rights from people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Maybe he was molesting these girls and these guys knew it? We don't know anything until the facts come out.
What an absurd statement. Any other sick fantasies you want to dream up?

What if they were going to kill the coach and sell the girls to slavers, the coach saved the girls from a life of misery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 01:46 AM
 
198 posts, read 140,677 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
the article says the coach was the one attacked, not the girls. how did he save the girls?
So you suggest it is best to assume the girls were never in danger and the attackers were only interested in the coaches necklace and the thugs would just let the girls go on their merry way w/o a single thought of them even being present.

Perhaps you should consider something a little closer to reality and reason that the thugs objective was to take out the biggest threat (the male coach) first before moving on to raping or robbing the 2 girls. But we will never know the true intent of the thugs as the coach managed to foil their criminal act with the defensive use of a legally owned firearm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top