U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 11:38 AM

8,955 posts, read 17,658,202 times

Advertisements

Some disturbing statistics........

Why I keep guns in my home. - Democratic Underground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 01:41 PM

33,981 posts, read 18,471,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Some disturbing statistics........

Why I keep guns in my home. - Democratic Underground
I see a blog with nothing to back up those stats.....

Sorry, failed thread....

Old 02-03-2013, 01:55 PM

4,130 posts, read 3,848,959 times
The stats are real, you can put them into Google and get them in about 23 seconds (timed myself) from the location you like.

The part that makes them debatable is that they are 25 years old. I would like to see them updated and if it has gotten better or worse. Also the effects of increasing mass shootings that have been occurring.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
The stats are real, you can put them into Google and get them in about 23 seconds (timed myself) from the location you like.

The part that makes them debatable is that they are 25 years old. I would like to see them updated and if it has gotten better or worse. Also the effects of increasing mass shootings that have been occurring.
Is this like the "40% of all guns deals are done without a back ground check".....that the left continues to spew.......

25 years ago.............LOL........of course that makes it relevant today....

Old 02-03-2013, 02:09 PM

4,130 posts, read 3,848,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Is this like the "40% of all guns deals are done without a back ground check".....that the left continues to spew.......

25 years ago.............LOL........of course that makes it relevant today....
You mean like this source? http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub...8/bcft08st.pdf

Just because you don't like what the sources say, doesn't mean they don't exist. You can't just stick your fingers in your ears and will the facts away, or cry until the people who present them decide you aren't worth dealing with, that's not the way to present your arguments if you care about this subject.

As a gun owner personally I think acting like this makes us all look loony. What we need to do is confront what can make us all safer without infringing on the rights of people who use them responsibly.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:33 PM

45,655 posts, read 33,915,855 times
Quote:
You mean like this source? http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub...8/bcft08st.pdf

Just because you don't like what the sources say, doesn't mean they don't exist. You can't just stick your fingers in your ears and will the facts away, or cry until the people who present them decide you aren't worth dealing with, that's not the way to present your arguments if you care about this subject.

As a gun owner personally I think acting like this makes us all look loony. What we need to do is confront what can make us all safer without infringing on the rights of people who use them responsibly.
NRA advocates putting a certified armed security guard in every school. In my state, this is what is required to achieve that status:

-Must be at least 21 years of age to apply
-Must be a legal resident of the United States
-Must submit to a background check
-Must submit to finger printing
-Successfully completes a 20 hour education course at a certified training center
-Successfully completes 20 hour firearms training for armed security guards

I could acquire such a licence in a few weeks. Nothing here remotely qualifies me or anyone else who is certified to safely deter/defend a school attack and do so without shooting innocent people or getting lkilled in the line of duty.

Most inner city Police never fire a weapon in the line of duty, across their careers. They are not prepared to face someone intent on shooting a maximum number of people in a minimal amount of time.

And gawd forbid, the guard/officer is in the loo.

This train has left the station. There are too many guns and people who love them and this includes people of all political leanings. Best we can do is create an illusion of increased safety.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:

Just because you don't like what the sources say, doesn't mean they don't exist.
No, those stats mean nothing these days....they did back then but....now...nope! Because they exist does not mean they are true today!

Quote:
You can't just stick your fingers in your ears and will the facts away, or cry until the people who present them decide you aren't worth dealing with, that's not the way to present your arguments if you care about this subject.

You mean the same way the leftist anti gun people don't understand the what "AR" means or where the word really came from.....Trust me, I fully understand

Quote:
If you're a true gun owner then you should also be irritated that people push something that is 25 years old, like it matters today....

Quote:
What we need to do is confront what can make us all safer without infringing on the rights of people who use them responsibly.
Sorry, a real intelligent talk here on CD....yea, right....just look at the OP....

Old 02-03-2013, 04:01 PM

13,904 posts, read 11,452,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I see a blog with nothing to back up those stats.....

Sorry, failed thread....
Anything on DU is FAILED.

Those idjits deal with the shock value their bogus stats indicate. Unfortunately for them, they're too stupid to know the difference between facts and bulls**t. All the little idjits read moronic nonsense and collectively say, "ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh." Then they rush off to repeat it on forums and again, all the little idjits say, "oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

Rinse and repeat.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:18 PM

6,396 posts, read 4,397,591 times
Quote:

debunked

Kellerman Debunked!

Old 02-03-2013, 05:22 PM

18,631 posts, read 9,559,201 times
Quote:

Completely discredited stats. This stats is not only wrong but entirely unethical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies