Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 02:03 PM

630 posts, read 1,265,105 times

Advertisements

I've been posting on this forum for a few months now, and it still shocks me to see the lack of reasonable, civil debate around here. I'm a member of several other political forums, and none of them seem to reach the level of vile nastiness that I constantly encounter on city data. Of the mean spirited things I've heard:

1) Accusing gay people of being pedophiles
2) Obama supporters are communists
3) Minorities all want handouts
3) The tea party is like the taliban
4) Conservative posters should take their opinions to storm front
5) Republicans/Democrats are stupid
6) Obama should be impeached (for what???)
7) Republican/Democratic policies are akin to Nazism
8) Gabrielle Giffords is manipulating people into supporting gun control and should just go away
9) All conservatives are vehemently opposed to any kind of diversity
10) Hoping the country dissolves because of who is in office

It's all just vile sickening things on this forum. That's the problem with online communities. Chances are, none of us will ever meet in person so some of us feel like there's no need to be civil or decent to each other when we're all behind a computer screen. We forget that we're all people worthy of respect. I apologize for any harsh post I've made as well. I hope we can improve on this. It will make the forum a much better place.

Last edited by workaholics; 02-03-2013 at 02:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 02:12 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
It's too bad this forum doesn't impose a basic level of quality rule. Reporting someone for flaming another user makes sense, but I don't think the mods would do anything about a post reported for factual inaccuracies and half-truths.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:12 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,771 times
Asking people to make sane, factual, and reasoned arguments without the loonies resorting to crazy crap like that is like asking a 747 to dance on the end of a pin. You also take away about 90% of their material.

You can boil down all of the insulting and weird arguments down to a single point "I am angry and I don't understand what's going on"

Old 02-03-2013, 02:16 PM

630 posts, read 1,265,105 times
The forum would probably a lot less busy if we were all held to higher standards. But unfortunately politics seems to bring out the absolute worst in people.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:17 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times
Forums like this provide a useful public service by easing the task of the NSA.

Every time someone launches into a tirade involving secession or resisting the government with arms or denouncing the president as an illegitimate usurper or whatever, a little transactional NSA angel is born.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:19 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Forums like this provide a useful public service by easing the task of the NSA.

Every time someone launches into a tirade involving secession or resisting the government with arms or denouncing the president as an illegitimate usurper or whatever, a little transactional NSA angel is born.
Snap!

Old 02-03-2013, 02:21 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
You'll find civility o'plenty in the other heavy-handed moderative augments subform.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:22 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
The forum would probably a lot less busy if we were all held to higher standards. But unfortunately politics seems to bring out the absolute worst in people.
Maybe so. I just wish you could report people for things like what you listed. You can basically only report people for trolling and flaming. I'm not saying that every post needs to be backed up with reliable sources cited in MLA format, but they could at least let us report things like "Obama is a commie!" or "why do the Republitards hate minorities".

Old 02-03-2013, 02:23 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Actually, I don't think the crazies on this board can express themselves with out calling our Hillary Clinton "ugly", or make fun of other parts of people's appearance. Usually women, of course, but not always.

For some reason, "Obonzo" offends me more than other ugly nicknames for our president. The farthest I ever went with Bush was "Dubya," and only because I understood that to be a widely-used nickname for him among friends and family.

Personally I strive never to refer to "Repukes" or talk about how fat Rush Limbaugh is. I just think it says a lot more about the people who say stuff like that than it does about the people they're criticizing.

And the above poster reminded me of how much I absolutely LOATHE the use of "tard" as a pejorative.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:25 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,419 times
I totally agree with everything the OP said. This place gets a bit ridiculous at times.

My hot-button irritants:

1: The god damn race card. Really? Are you that lousy of a debater and are your arguments so weak that your only recourse to discredit another poster's opinion is to call him/her a racist?

2: The ease at which posters here are able to call another a fascist or Nazi. Again, is your argument so weak that you cannot at least listen to another's argument and consider that there may be something constructive to take away and add to your stance on an issue?

3: A total lack of understanding or even a willingness to try to understand another's opinion. If it doesn't already jive with a city-data poster's current narrative, almost instantly, swords are drawn.

There's a lot of information in this forum, but I don't think there's a lot of learning going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies